Honda Brio AT launched at Rs.5.74 lacs

Brio in Automatic Transmission is welcome move.Those who want reliable Auto Transmission Car,Brio would be best instead of I10 and A-Star.
I hope that Honda will introduce A/T in Jazz and it will be worthy competitor for I20.

You are right about about AT, my dodge is still laying in garage for some electronics parts related to AT. Those have to arrive from USA.
AT systems are far too complex than manual ones and requires special maintenance which may be bit difficult and expensive in Indian environment.
AT's are fuel guzzlers too becuase of their lower effiviency.
Simply compare it with Honda Activa scooter which is 100cc (45kmpl max) to any manual or a 100cc bike.
True, this is the case with a conventional Auto box. But recently there have been many technological advances in auto transmissions like a dual clutch gear box for example the new Ford Fiesta. Ford claims that this gearbox is maintenance free for life(10years). No oil change and no other maintenance as well as this Auto box delivers the same or a still better fuel economy compared to a Manual gearbox.
So, looks like things are changing and new technology will surely benefit us!

I was just googling the pros and cons of AT & MT, and the summary is that except the driving comfortability MT is always a best choice over the AT. Am I missing something related to the AT?
Having owned an AT since 1999 I may be a bit more qualified to speak. In many countries (UAE, US, etc) ATs are the norm.

An AT is less fuel efficient, but less so now due to transmission lock which disables the torque converter above a certain speed, DSG and the rest. In fact as per the US EPA ratings the Civic AT is more efficient that the MT on the highway (higher gearing + torque converter) by 1MPG. Normallly expect about 15% loss in town and about 0-5% on the highway.

^^ +1 AT's have come a long way, the Ford Fiesta AT has a better ARAI Fuel economy number than the manual thanks to the dual clutch unit

Now totally confused. Hormazd tweets that it is the City 5-speed, but the pic with the tweet looks like what there all over a 4-speed CVT type. Something smells, and I do not know what.

Who is pulling a fast one.

Must be the first time that a Honda which is coming has attracted so much interest. Keep it up big H!

I am waiting for the day they start doling out diesel hearts - that when the big H will be back in form. If its any close to the i-vtecs in terms of refinement(comparatively for a diesel), that would be something hard to beat!

Look like the divorce with Siel is giving them the much needed wings to fly in india.

Confirmed that it is a 5-speed AT with torque converter. Also, the manual over ride is only on 3,2, 1. This is required to get engine braking on hill climbs and more important descents. So Honda expects the over ride not to be as commonly used as S in the Civic / City.

It is a good old Torque Converter 5-speed AT (not a CVT). Also, confirmed from the guru's in the game that the AT has manual override (with engine braking) only in 3,2 and 1. So the AT is designed for the normal driver, and not an enthusiast, like S in City/Civic.

Also, it is new AT with an ultra slim TC unit. Given the sophistication I will not be surprised to see it in the Jazz in due course. Also, this AT may become the base of AT units from Honda in years to come.

I think the Brio AT has started reaching the dealers with the launch scheduled for the 18th. Let me summarise what I have picked up from various sources which I consider very reliable.

The Brio will have a 5-speed Torque Converter AT with manual override on 1, 2 and 3 (required for engine braking on descents). It has a ultra compact TC and is not a CVT. No paddle shifts etc. Seems to be designed for essentially a town car!

ARAI figure for economy is 16.5kpl so should give 11-12 in town, and 14+ on the highway.

When compared to the i10/i20 the points are

1. Honda is a five speed with override on 1, 2, 3. 4 is only available in the AT mode. The Santro has a 3+1. Override on 1 & 2. 3 can be set as the high gear in AT by switching the OD off.

2. Economy wise the Brio should be at least 1 kpl superior to the i10 and 2+ to the i20 (it has a 1.4 Gamma engine).

I think the Brio AT has started reaching the dealers with the launch scheduled for the 18th. Let me summarise what I have picked up from various sources which I consider very reliable.
So are we looking towards first Brio A/T owner of TAI(atleast I hope so)? But its realy good that there are a slew of launches in the Navratra season starting from Alto 800 to new Safari to Brio A/T.My only grouse is why none of the auto majors can't think out of the box and launch a diesel A/T hatch or sedan,it will surely be a game changer rather than remaining a niche player like petrol A/T cars.

It should be, diesal torque and overall maintenance cost would not justify.

AT in budget segment attracts very narrow group of buyers.
my personal opinion is AT means no fun.
I am expecting Honda to change the game.hope they do well.

Honda Brio, first drive review reveals Brio a good city dweller.
Hope Honda would add these into Jazz as well, n give customer choices to get spoilt.

similarly with Diesel mills under its hood's Honda will definetly be in a very commanding position in terms of market share and sales. people in Honda would do a decent job if they launch a perfect car to the market which has more expectations of it.
Followed a appropriate approach , no doubt Honda will be a good player in the market.

First drive: 2012 Honda Brio automatic - Auto - Cars - ibnlive

@Deepsraven; The AT should (hopefully) show up the Jazz in the not too distant future. The reviews on the motoring press are universally positive. Was in touch with the local dealership, they are yet to get a demo unit even though the launch is on the 18th.

Top Bottom