Honda Becomes India's 4th Largest Car Maker

Thread Starter #1
Honda's India unit became the country's fourth largest car maker by sales in May riding on the success of its newly launched entry level sedan Amaze. Honda reported its highest ever monthly sales as Amaze clocked 6,036 units (over 50 per cent of Honda's sales) during the month.

Honda sold 11,342 cars in May 2013, ahead of what Tata Motors (at 11,134 units, cars and utility vehicles together), Toyota (at 10,023 units), GM (at 8,500 units) and Ford (4,002 units) sold in the last month.

Honda's sales rose 34 per cent in May as compared to April, 2013 and 10 per cent as compared to May last year (2012). In contrast, Maruti Suzuki 's domestic volumes fell by 13 per cent (at 77,821 units) year-on-year. The drop was higher than the 4 per cent cut global investment bank Nomura had estimated.

While, Toyota and Ford saw over 30 per cent decline in sales as compared to last year, the impressive debut of Honda Amaze has seemingly hurt Maruti Suzuki the most.
More Details : Honda becomes Indias 4th biggest car maker, Amaze hurts Maruti - NDTVProfit.com

Re: Honda becomes India's 4th biggest car maker, Amaze hurts Maruti

Thanks to the success of Amaze, Tata has been pushed to 5th place and Toyota has set it's eye on further pushing Tata's down the order.

I wonder why Honda's are not considering Brio Diesel as it will help Honda to garner even greater pie of the market.

Amazeing what one diesel can do to change your fortunes in India. Hopefully Honda should realise this, better late than never, India is the market they need to significantly invest (beg, borrow or steal but don't sit idle, open your eyes to the potential! )

Re: Honda becomes India's 4th biggest car maker, Amaze hurts Maruti

...I wonder why Honda's are not considering Brio Diesel as it will help Honda to garner even greater pie of the market.
Honda will eventually get Brio Diesel, but I think that will have to wait for another year (or more) because Amaze has just been launched coupled with the fact that marketing strategies could dictate that it should not affect Amaze's sales (if introduced rather earlier than expected)

Amazeing what one diesel can do to change your fortunes in India.
+1 to that. Honda's ascent to No. 4 shows the thirst for the fuel burner in India and the success of Amaze tells that diesel + competitive pricing can guarantee success in Indian market.
I think Honda has to sort out their production constraint issues because in C1 segment Honda needs to be on its toes to lock horns with Dzire. All Honda needs now is a diesel Brio and City [:)]

Thread Starter #6
+1 to that. Honda's ascent to No. 4 shows the thirst for the fuel burner in India and the success of Amaze tells that diesel + competitive pricing can guarantee success in Indian market.
I think Honda has to sort out their production constraint issues because in C1 segment Honda needs to be on its toes to lock horns with Dzire. All Honda needs now is a diesel Brio and City [:)]
Diesel City will be having huge list of buyers IMO. [clap]

You bet, be it any product in diesel, Brio, City, Civic, CRV - everything will have a decent market (proportional to the segment) - just a case of launch priority now and how much can they pump in as investments to make all of the above happen.

Amazeing what one diesel can do to change your fortunes in India. Hopefully Honda should realise this, better late than never, India is the market they need to significantly invest (beg, borrow or steal but don't sit idle, open your eyes to the potential! )
Was just curious if it is possible to know a breakup of amaze sales of petrol and diesel ?[thinking]

I ma not very optimistic of the fact that Honda would look to increase it production capacity at this point of time. No doubt their production capacity is now a constant for them in order to launch a Brio Diesel and also supply Amaze at same time.

I believe they would be rational like Mahindra's during XUV launch. Mahindra has same issue during launch booking but was smart known to know that initial buzz would not continue on same level and soon they would be able to manage the demand-supply.

Believe Honda would finally love some waiting on it's vehicle and as more competition enter, initial buzz reduces, it can go for Brio Diesel and keep the momentum it has generated with Amaze alive at least for coming one year.

Honda is like Nokia. Both are very good at what they do. But normally fails to stand up to the need of common man. Nokia was always saying Symbian and no dual sim phones. They realised much later after loosing their first position. Now with win8 and dual sim phones, they made a strong come back. If Nokia and Samsung manufacture phone with same configuration and price, people will buy Nokia with eyes closed. Same way, if Honda& Maruti makes same segment cars with equal price, people will buy Honda over Maruti.

Last edited:
Honda is like Nokia. Both are very good at what they do. But normally fails to stand up to the need of common man. Nokia was always saying Symbian and no dual sim phones. They realised much later after loosing their first position. Now with win8 and dual sim phones, they made a strong come back. If Nokia and Samsung manufacture phone with same configuration and price, people will buy Nokia with eyes closed. Same way, if Honda& Maruti makes same segment cars with equal price, people will buy Honda over Maruti.
I guess why people will buy Nokia is because they are more familiar with the brand. However in cars, IMHO I am not sure if the same applies for Honda. I am sure this would be true in the big cities, but the story in Class B and C cities, Maruti is still the brand people are more familiar with. Good for Honda, they do not have the production capacity to worry about smaller cities yet. Lets see how good they manage to penetrate with Amaze though !! <fingers-crossed>

Honda's sale are only going to increase in future I think. Off late they have started launching value-for-money cars, with Brio, and now Amaze. Their Achilles heel is their production constraint right now. Brio and City diesel will do wonders for them, if priced correctly.

And all this is happening without marketing (especially TV ad's). Imagine if Honda gets a good, highly popular ambassador ( like what SRK does to hyundai i10 [clown]). It has to only go up. Just wish It happens some day. If Honda market their cars, like others do, it will be a king on the indian roads. Now that honda has stepped into the diesel market :)

Honda to launch new Jazz, compact SUV 7 seat in India within 2 years.

Honda to launch compact SUV 7 seat in India.

Continuing a product onslaught, Honda has talked about their future products yet again. Amaze has been a highly successful product for the company specially the diesel variant which contributes to as many as 80 percent of total sales.

And hence, the upcoming products from the company will also focus more on the diesel fuel. The lineup will include:

Next-Gen Honda Jazz in petrol and diesel

7-Seater MPV
Compact SUV

New Honda City in petrol and diesel.

For more details please check the below link.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom