Honda Activa 110: Our Purple Queen & Daily Work Horse

Kumar sir , the noise from front panel is an issue mainly due to our roads not our well maintained rides. One solution is just leave it as it is.

49kmpl is an average mileage figure , as you have neatly told that it was handled by different users. I think post service , just as we do run-in , if possible , only one person run the vehicle for say 100km or one week - just for the new oil to tune with the engine (Its a desi practice , but it works so well ). Mileage during Run in will be quite low than you expect.
Then check mileage after 1 week , which I really expect to be better than the figure at present.

Thread Starter #17
49 kmpl is indeed ow Vishnu. I have had times, I got 64 kmpl (on my first tank full to tank full method) wihtin a week I had bought it new.

My overall average in this 4.5 years was around 53-55 kmpl, all time.

Thread Starter #19
Sure I will try it out. I have no concerns with Activa's mileage. Off late my Victor's mileage is only dropping down. Probably needs a service with Air Filter and Spark Plug replacement soon.

Thread Starter #20
Finally completed my purple beauty's service on 1st December - Saturday, as I had an outstation trip the very next weekend (7th to 10th Dec).

Complaints before Service:
> The non functioning ladies footrest (non folding) was asked to be removed - This was done with perfection. I couldn't afford Rs. 950.00 for a new piece and I also have one more reason for not replacing this footrest with a new one, as I don't want my wife and my Activa to be used as "available commodities" by near by and landlord aunties (who usually wear saree). Indian mentality is always "free licking" - sorry to say so though.

> heavy and unbearable frontal panel vibration - this was perfectly handled by SVM Honda technicians wihtout having to replace the entire H/L mask piece for 950.00. Now I don't feel any vibes, nor does my wife. Hats off SVM !!

> general checkup, oil changes, clutch cleaning, kicker shaft o ring overhaul, tappet adjustments, and all other general stuffs with water wash - ALL done with perfect perfection by SVM.

Total Bill was Rs. 767.00 (on AMC bases - 850.00 paid upfront for 3 free services, in each of which, general service labour of 350.00 gets waived off.)

Vehicle was handed over with high professionalism in a clean condition. I am taken away by the zero vibes on front panel, and the smoothness with which it rides after service. Awesome SVM.

Now comes the sad part - not that sad though:

Service advisor advised the below replacements in the coming service (projected for May 2019 or 3000 kms whichever is less.
> Battery to be replaced (approx 1300.00 set back). They said voltmeter test showed low volts and the battery to be weak. I wonder on this since I have never faced starting trouble or any kind of symptoms for a weak battery, till last evening when I used it. - Let's wait for another 6 months / 3000 kms to see how it behaves and then decide upon changing.

> Clutch kit (clutch bearings, some shafts and the primary DRIVE BELT) with other worn components if any, to be replaced, and the approx cost would be anywhere between 3000 to 3500.00 (costly stuff though). I was told that every 24000 kms, the drive belt needs replacement and mine has done 21800 kms till now. No comments as the manual says the same.

>Air Filter to be changed - Regular PMS, so no issues
> Rear Brake shoes to be changed - Regular wear and tear item - so no worries. Have never changed the rear brake shoe for the run 21800 kms. So a good life.

Upcoming service would set me back around 5+k I guess, but I have to bear, no other go.

But if my Activa keeps serving my wife and dad for their local and errand commutes this reliably for the next 40-50k kms ahead, and if the service quality and ethics are maintained by SVM in the same way, I am sure I would pay / bear the said expenses with a smile.

Hats off and my heart felt appreciation to the service technicians, advisors and the service team of SVM HONDA - AVADI.

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Unless ridden the ride with clutch (Elders generally tend to use the rear brake lever while running also , and those used to riding bikes , tend to use rear brake like that as holding the clutch), this degrades the belt (As clutch is always in action ).

My ride has clocked 24k , but i haven't replaced belt ,as its all fine , even the belt noise is as brand new (Touchwood)- which my friends usually acknowledge as -Showroom condition.

Even i have headlight mask vibration , but my SA told ,in this road condition don't change sir , why spending 950 for a perfect part , if at all any dent or breakage occurs , we will change then .

Rear shoes also , I haven't changed as it hasn't worn even its half life (As the riders of my Activa don't ride the rear brake lever always)

Battery I changed 6 months back , as after running , it won't start (The main symptom of a degrading lead acid battery , thereby the starter won't get sufficient voltage)- I have mentioned in some other thread , the symptoms when one needs to replace battery . Now i have put Sonic (SF)- Gel type battery , which is proven to be good for this generation.

Thread Starter #22
Nice information Vishnu.

By the way where are you from ? Which city I mean?

And yes, as you say, elders at my home, none other than my father, who used to ride the clutch in his earlier Splendor Plus 2005, now rides rear brake of the Activa and hence the surprising replacement condition of the primary drive belt in 21500 kms. Next service would click on 24500 kms in odo by May 2019, and then this clutch kit with belt needs to be changed.

You're lucky drivers of your Activa don't ride rear brake at your place and that's why your belt is in mint condition. I have seen Activas with the stock drive belt running well after having crossed 40k kms as well. All depends on how you ride.

Though in my case my wife doesn't multi task, by accelerating and braking at the same time, my dad, 66 years old, is used to such riding. And the same practice (brake riding) has killed the brake shoe early as well. So the major chunk I am going to spend (approx 5800.00) in the next service is a courtsey from my dad's usage. [angel]

Battery - yes, 4 years 4 months is a good life, and another 6 months making it around 5 years is ok. I don't see any problems with the battery, but their voltmeter under shows the voltage. Let me see if this battery could last a service more till Nov 2019..

BTW, which year Activa you have, as you say you have clocked 24k ticks in the odo?

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Unless ridden the ride with clutch (Elders generally tend to use the rear brake lever while running also , and those used to riding bikes , tend to use rear brake like that as holding the clutch), this degrades the belt (As clutch is always in action ).

My ride has clocked 24k , but i haven't replaced belt ,as its all fine , even the belt noise is as brand new (Touchwood)- which my friends usually acknowledge as -Showroom condition.

Even i have headlight mask vibration , but my SA told ,in this road condition don't change sir , why spending 950 for a perfect part , if at all any dent or breakage occurs , we will change then .

Rear shoes also , I haven't changed as it hasn't worn even its half life (As the riders of my Activa don't ride the rear brake lever always)

Battery I changed 6 months back , as after running , it won't start (The main symptom of a degrading lead acid battery , thereby the starter won't get sufficient voltage)- I have mentioned in some other thread , the symptoms when one needs to replace battery . Now i have put Sonic (SF)- Gel type battery , which is proven to be good for this generation.

How much does this battery cost you? Sonic (SF)- Gel type battery.. Is it a maintanence free battery or water filling required ?

Thread Starter #24
Its a maintenance free type , it costed me within 1k if I remember correctly .
I don't remember the exact figure .
Dealership quotes 1300.00 for a battery (probably use and throw type). I would prefer changing from outside since I may save 200 to 300 rupees on the same. Activa is running well after the service though I didn't get a chance to check mileage this time. Dad keeps refilling for 250 every time, and hence no calculation has been possible yet. Will update mileage once I successfully do a tank full to tank full method.

Thread Starter #25
A small photo shoot on the eve of Christmas day.. This was much awaited by Mr. Mayank....

2014 model, after 4.5 years of usage..

Side face..
20181225_170608.jpg

Front face

20181225_170619.jpg

Odo and instrument cluster
20181225_170634.jpg

After market seat protection - 350.00
20181225_170642.jpg

20181225_170649.jpg
20181225_170701.jpg

After removal of ladies footrest.

This avoids lift requests by ladies in sarees....

20181225_170720.jpg

Thread Starter #26
10 days ago, i.e., on 13th, I tanked filled Activa in the same petrol bunk, and same filling machine, as I had done exactly two weeks before, i.e., on 30th December 2018. I had a shock-in-store for me. Guess what, my Activa had been ridden by my wifey (85%) and my dad (15%) and the activa had clocked exactly 239.7 kms in 4.195 L, which was filled to the brim the same way I had done in the previous fill.

Math works out to be 57.13 kmpl, which is far higher than my previous test figures which were hovering around 52-53 kmpl, and recently went down to 49 kmpl as well. I guess this 49 kmpl has been the least FE I ever got in this Activa.

57.13 kmpl in a belt driven CVT transmissioned 110 cc 8.5 bhp scooterette in purely city traffic riding to commute school children, get vegetables from market with full load, always ridden doubles + (1 adult & 2 kids together). It's a wow.

I remember achieving 64 kmpl in my first tank full to tank full when I bought it new, and was regularly commuting to office to tune the new engine, not exceeding 40 kmph speed in the initial 1000 kms run, as instructed in the manual. Then it was hovering around 57-59 kmpl. Then I permanently had handed over this bike to my wife for who, I had actually bought. My 2 months usage to office (daily 49 kms) was only to finetune the engine in the run in period.

I am extremely happy with the nice fuel efficiency figures of 57+ kmpl. Even if I assume that there might have been some +/- in the brim level filling, I can be sure that 55+ kmpl is what Activa is getting me now.

My sincere thanks for this achievement to the below, who actually own the credit.

> First credit to wifey, who rides in a sedate speed, doesn't revv the engine at all, kick starts the vehicle for the first run of the day without self crank to enhance battery life. idles for 3 + minutes in the morning to warm up the engine (thanks to winter fog), sticks to 30-35 kmph speed uring school commutes as our school zones are totally unsafe (watchmen allotted to safeguard children are busy with chit chatting and making love with their phones in their duty time), doesn't cross 45-50 kph even in open roads and handles with care.

> Second and the next crucial credit is to SVM HONDA's service technicians, their dedication, efforts and sincereity in their job to keep the vehicle in optimum condition. All expenses incurred till date owe to the wear and tear and occassional abuse (by dad, where he rides brakes), else the bike is awesome to ride.

> The last but least credit to Mr. Kumar, who occassionally manages to get time to wash and clean wifey's active. (Yeah that's me...)

I have read, heard, been told several different sad stories about Activa's unreliablity. I refuse to accept them blind. I know Activa 110's have their own set of shortcomes, such as smaller 10 inch metal rim wheels, not so comfy moped suspension in front like in its competitions like Jupiter, etc, seat has to be opened everytime to fuel up, etc. But who gives the best engine in India, especially Petrol ---- The answer is .... yeah you got it right - H O N D A.

Can anyone cite a more refined petrol engine for two and four wheelers? Nope, not that I know of.

Activa has the best refined engine of its class / segment, and the smoothness can never be overtaken by Jupiter or anyone else, though they may give little more ride comfort compared to Activa. Same applies to cars as well. I couldn't enjoy a more refined / smooth engine when compared to that of Honda City, be it from fist gen EX or till the fourth gen uplifted Honda City as well.

HONDA rocks. I am happy with my buy - The Activa 2014, and I won't dare to sell it until it completes 70k kms on odo, which would obviously cross the 15 year paper validity in RC. I would even go for renewing for 5 more years post 2029 [cheers]

I also hope to be happy the same way throughout my ownership and pray SVM Honda - Avadi doesn't change the way they're doing things now.

Regards
Kumar

Thread Starter #28
Front - MRF nylogrip Zapper I guess - still on stock after 22k+

Rear - changed from MRF Nylo Zapper 90 to MRF NGP Plus at 20k odo.

But why 45-60 kmpl, such a wide gap?

Tyre pressure is checked every 5 days at our street puncture shop and maintained accordingly. But still my rear tyre went kaput within 20k kms, I wish it had lasted 10k more...[gun]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Do not rely on Roadside tyre shops for pressure. The coarse gague might work for large truck tyres but strict no for smaller vehicles. I have suffered many times by wrong pressure form puncture wallahs. Hence the result I invest in good Digital tyre inflator.

Read here-
[Honest Review] Windek Digital Tyre Inflator with Autocut

Last edited:
I fill with N2 .
The wide gap is due to:
1.Short trips (Engine oil won't be in proper temperature)- Mileage reduced
2.Traffic stops
3.Time of journey (Say peak hour drive and free hour drives)

Top Bottom