Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat Discontinued?

Thread Starter #1
It seems Honda and Volkswagen have stopped the production of their executive Saloons the Honda Accord and Volkswagen Passat due to poor demand in sales.

The main reason being the decline in the sales figure. Both the cars in the last 6 months have just managed to sell around 200 units each.

The Honda Accord 2.4 Ltr Model sells around 25 lacks and the Passat 2.0 Tdi sells around 26-32 lacks. The Highline model reaching almost 33-35 lacks which is very close to the Mercedes-Benz, Audi and BMW Territory who are also offering the customers lucrative offers and discounts diverting people in their favour.

Both the manufacturers are concentrating more on their hatchbacks and sedans where the major buyers are focussed.

It seems both of them have cleared of all the pending stocks and are not manufacturing any more.

Honda will be mostly launching the new Accord in 2015 with a Diesel engine. No ideas as of yet from Volkswagen.

Attachments

Re: Honda Accord & Volkswagen Passat Discontinued

Honda Vehicles especially Accord and Jass are really good vehicles. Why people do not prefer these vehicles (poor sales) need to be investigated.

Honda sales in Kuwait also on similar trends like in India. The dealer changed, and now Alghanim group is having dealership. They are now offering good discounts. If we take 10 vehicles on road, minimum 4 to 5 of Toyota Brands, 4 to 3 of American brands, and rest to remaining brands including Honda, and Nissan. Is it the operational cost, and resale value affects the product sales.

But, Amaze is doing good in India. Honda must look into their success Story of Amaze.

Thread Starter #3

@ Mathew: Sir i am not aware about the petrol prices in kuwait but here in india in majority of the states the prices are nearing 80 Rs/Ltr . The problem with honda has been that they have not yet introduced a diesel option for the accord and the ones available here are just the 4 & 6 Cylinder petrols which just about manage to return average of around 7 & 5 Km/Ltr respectively. Even if we consider that the people buying these people should not worry much about the average but the trends are changing very quickly in the favour of diesel vehicles for the time bieng. Thats the story for the Honda Accord.
Now the Volkswagen Passat does provide a diesel option but then the price of the Top variant stretches to around 35 lacks which is very much near the Audi, Mercedes-Benz & BMW range. Even those brands are providing a huge discount and lucrative offers bringing their prices very much close to the Passat. Surely people will get attracted towards them rather than VW.

Second in consideration is the Resale of these vehicles. In india the bigger the car the bigger is the depreciation value. A 3-4 year old used Honda Accord 2.4 MT which is sold around for 24 lacks on road at that time is now available for around 7 Lacks. And A VW Passat which was sold aroung 28-30 lacks on road 2 years back is available for around 15-16 lacks for a used one now. The Passat having a lesser depreciation due to the Diesel power house and the Honda having more due to a petrol power house.

Thread Starter #5

I agree. i dont know why Volkswagen has done that to all the cars that all look the same from the front but different from behind . The only way to distinguish a Passat from the others at a distance is due to the DRL and the extra bit of chrome. Just had a check at the on road prices of the cars. The Passat on road in Mumbai is around 34 lacks whereas the BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz range around 38-40 Lacks on road. Now i know that its a difference of almost 6 lacks in between and for us its like you can get a new I 10 or swift at that price but a person willing to spend 30+ on the car will surely not be thinking that much when he can buy a better luxuriated car with better reputation,better engine and better gearbox and after sales service by putting in a little more. Now this difference is due to no discounts but now even the premium car manufacturers are offering better discounts making the gap much more less.

Re: Honda Accord & Volkswagen Passat Discontinued,GoodBye Review

I have friends who own both these cars,sad the Accord met demise thanks to fuel prices,but the low ground clearance and terrible mileage did the Accord in no doubt. My friend has the automatic which gives him 4 km per liter but he is millionaire(being frank) who wants to keep a low profile but people who buy 24 to 32 lakh rupee cars are not necessarily that wealthy(stubborn maybe) & i think it pains to burn so much fuel even if for example was a diesel car.

As for the Passat i feel too many people judge this book by its cover,My friend has the highline which is the best & the rest basic feel not worth.Drls & many features are on highline only. You could get the car at 30 to 32 lakhs when on sale.
But at the time of its launch some of the features you could not find with even cars twice the price. But i fell in love with the DSG gearbox,it puts most cars to shame & once we struck a speed breaker at 120 km/hr the car dint even jump,traveled flat like it was some suv. Best suspension i ever experienced & i have been in quite a few cars.The Stock Pirellis provide race car grip & interior is top notch.And has excellent(crazy actually) sound deadening including near bumpers.Its among the top 10 Selling cars in Europe.Car comes with curtains for the rear,a boon for the tint ban Indians.

Draw backs car gives 7 to 11 kmpl if your a moody driver,steering twitches under hard acceleration cos of front wheel drive(0 to 100,8Sec)
If any part is required for the car ,an order is sent from dealership to Aurangabad,that delay could be 3 days to a week.
Parts can be expensive,one of the tire walls had a cut ,cost 16000 a tire for replacement & am sure everything else is on the same level.

If any one is looking for a good used luxury car to keep as a 2nd or 3rd car at home go for the HighLine Passat[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

Accord I agree with you that it gives pathetic average for a 4 cylinder also. Infact my dad even thought of buying one considering the drop in the resale figures where the car was available for as cheap as 7 lacks but due to the average and ever growing fuel price decided not to try it. But one thing is for sure the back seat comfort is the best compared to a bmw audi and merc.

The passat however is different. The passat is a great car to drive has the same engine as a audi A4, infact a better tuned one to almost a 160-170 hp and Dsg gear box is just a drivers delight. It has more feAtures then the competitors but all this does not help the car to sell. What I feel is that majority of the people who own it do not drive it but are chaufered and they do not care about the driving pleasures and power, all they want is status which makes the passat competitors go ahead.

Accord is really a beautiful car and I could see some of its front look is transferred to New City !!

Passat is also good, but the price may not justify for what it offers and as some one said at times Vento/Jetta/passat look same from some angles

Following the news of discontinuation of the Honda Accord in India, it was being reported that the Volkswagen Passat has also been withdrawn from the Indian market. Rejecting these reports, Volkswagen India has issued a press release saying that the Passat is still pretty much being sold in the Indian market through VW dealerships and the automaker has no plans of discontinuing the sedan in India.

"We at Volkswagen continue to sell the current generation of the Passat through our dealer network. As with all our products, serviceability and availability of spares will never be an issue. The requirements of every Passat customer will be catered to with meticulous attention. Globally the next generation of the Passat is being readied and we shall introduce it in the Indian market at the appropriate time."

Re: Honda Accord Discontinued

^ Thats good to know,but i knew their stocks were slow moving. They had some 2012 vin cars couple of months back according to my friend.

Actually instead of buying Passat Trendline & Comfortline , it makes sense to buy Jetta Highline with the new updates from November 2013,it looks cool i think with the new DRL & projectors , the 140 bhp DSG with paddleshifters is not a thing to complain about either. Only thing that mite need an upgade on the Jetta is the tires.

JEttaIndia2014.jpg

So i think the only Variant of Passat that will sell now is the Highline. Other variants look obsolete.

Thread Starter #11
Re: Honda Accord Discontinued

@ GM88 : Yes VW with the news breakout of the Passat discontinuation have given a statement that its very much alive and still on sale but on enquiring with a few VW showrooms they do not have any stocks of the Passat and are not confirming on taking bookings for the same, some showrooms do have some stocks of 2012 production which are being sold at a heavy discount. However VW are confirming that the facelifted models will be available later in 2014.

Volkswagen Passat Unlisted on Volkswagen India Website!

( Welcome to Volkswagen India ) (Not sure if this is the right section) Just visited the website today. The number of cars felt low...Too low. So they were. No Passat there!

They also took out Phaeton and Touraeg from their website some time back. But Passat was a relatively better selling car. I do not think the production's stopped. If its not, the rich people should be able to access the info before taking a test drive, shouldn't they?

Since there was not much competition in the D2 seg (Except for Fortuner and XUV 500), people would want to view all the cars before deciding. Wonder why VW did this.

Do not expect any reply (I don't either) 'till tomorrow morning. I'm gonna [sleep] now.

Thought of starting this thread. Please delete, move, merge, burn, drown, explode :biggrin: etc. if wrongly posted.

Thanks!

Sales figure for
VW Passat - 7(May'14), 1(Jun'14), 0(Jul'14).

No wonder why it is not on website / sales chart now.

We always like cars which are very scarce on road but they have inherent risk of being extinct any time, like my T-Rex [;)]

Last edited:
Sales figure for
VW Passat - 7(May'14), 1(Jun'14), 0(Jul'14).

No wonder why it is not on website / sales chart now.

We always like cars which are very scarce on road but they have inherent risk of being extinct any time, like my T-Rex [;)]
I thought there are many rich people out there, but BOY I was wrong. But if it is on the sales chart (Even with a Zero by its name), means manufacturing has not been stopped...yet. Not a wise step to take, IMO. Refer to my earlier post for the reason.

@350Z thanks for merging. Sorry, I just cannot find the already started thread. Never. First big forum I've been on!

350Z

Core Team
I thought there are many rich people out there, but BOY I was wrong. But if it is on the sales chart (Even with a Zero by its name), means manufacturing has not been stopped...yet. Not a wise step to take, IMO. Refer to my earlier post for the reason.
It’s not about the amount of rich people. Indian market has a significant potential of high-end car buyers. At the end, it’s brand value that sells (for majority of them) and cars like Audi A3 are bound to further create a dent on sales of such models. There are several examples of cars with lesser brand value which surpasses their “premium” rival in many aspects yet they still do not stand a chance against them when it comes to sales figures. Some of the dealers stopped taking bookings for New Passat a while ago. Perhaps Volkswagen is planning to hit back hard with the next gen. model sooner than we expect.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom