Home Theater Speakers in Car: Possible?

Thread Starter #1
Hey TAI'ns
I was thinking of installing Sony home Theater Speakers in my car. Is it possible? Do we have to just get an amp?Will it consume too much power?
Also it would be nice if you can brief me up on the installation.

Thanks,TFF.

I had seen a car where in 2.1 channel speakers were fitted at the rear. Going by this logic, it should be possible. Not sure of the electricals though!

Thread Starter #3
^^^ yes,a friend civic has a 2:1 home theater but he was saying its too complicated and don't try it. Is that so? I though I just an amp and then plug it in!

Hey TAI'ns
I was thinking of installing Sony home Theater Speakers in my car. Is it possible? Do we have to just get an amp?Will it consume too much power?

Thanks,TFF.
Dear @TheFerrariFan

Keep in mind the bellow facts before installing audio setup as you desire:

1. Home Theatre speakers and Car speakers looks similar but have slight differences like Cosmetic, Impedance & Designs.

2. Car speakers are normally 4ohm. Home speakers are normally 8ohm. Your car HU/Receiver should be capable to handle HT speaker's ohm capacity.

3. Impedance is a measurement that defines how much opposition a conductive item gives to an electrical current. Car amplifiers are typically low-voltage, high-amperage designs, making 4 ohm speakers ideal.

4. You also need to convert 12V DC to 230V AC to operate your HT speakers in car.

5. Home speakers, in general, are ideally suited for a variety of room sizes, with their ability to play in larger spaces more a function of amplifier power than overall design.

6. Automotive speaker designers recognize that cars have what is known as transfer function -- small environments reinforce low frequencies.

I always wanted this idea of mine to materialize but never got the opportunity or the money.

I endlessly searched on the internet for this topic but never found one, Good Thread Theferrarifan

What i have with me - This along with a 7.1 sound card with DTS Neo 6 and Dolby EX and amazing settings to reckon with high end home-theatres

CreativeInspire71T7900_1.jpg

What i Intended to do -

* Install a carputer
* Install the 7.1 sound card which i currently have
* use the calibration settings to adjust the sound out put in the car

But the downside is to step up the current from 12 v to 230 volts, and too much wiring which runs the risk of short circuit and fire

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
That is too much messing up with the wiring. Converting 12v to 230V will kill the battery. Plus the amps won't work either right? The HU is of a city.
I thought that you need a normal car amp and just plug it in. Better I get a sub.

Hi,
Its an easy task to install a 2.1ch speaker system in a car.
@ theferrarifan are you willing to connect the front and rear speakers of the home theatre ?? Plz do share the model no. of the home theatre.

As said by Robin79in the speakers can be easily connected to the HU. But don't power the speakers using an amp as the HT speakers are not compatible with Amps.

There is no need to convert DC to AC if you install a 2.1ch system in the car. BUT make sure that the 2.1ch system has a 12v transformer inside. .

2.1 systems like Sony SRS D4 can also be used as it uses an external 12v adapter. I have used the same model in a b'day party by connecting a car battery when light was gone.

Last edited:
Hey TAI'ns

Thanks,TFF.
Hi TFF,

Why do you need to install a home theater speakers in a car. The car audio speakers are more than accomplished for the job. Secondly they need 230v power supply and car can provide only 12V. But it can be done. Let me warn you it's very dangerous and you have a high chance of short circuiting the car. Also car speakers come in difference sizes which will fit fit very neatly into car car outsied the view of passengers. I don't think home theater speakers can be fit into a car in such a way.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #9
Hmm yes thats a big risk plus its a new car. But I heard that we could also use car inverter and do it? My home theater is some old sony,4000 watts.

Thread Starter #11
Its a City,I just wanted some more bass in my car without breaking the bank. So I was looking for alternatives to bass tub./subs.
So thought of this,a friends cousins car had HT in the boot.

Its a City,I just wanted some more bass in my car without breaking the bank. So I was looking for alternatives to bass tub./subs.
So thought of this,a friends cousins car had HT in the boot.
A 2channel amp will cost 4k and a sub with enclosure will cost 6k. 2k for wiring and for 12k you can have good bass without going for the risk of extensive changes to wiring. Also fixing a HT in your car would definitly mean losing your warranty as wires need to be cut. SO it's better you stick to a 2channleamp and a sub with enclosure.

Regards,
Sankar

Thread Starter #13
A 2channel amp will cost 4k and a sub with enclosure will cost 6k. 2k for wiring and for 12k you can have good bass without going for the risk of extensive changes to wiring. Also fixing a HT in your car would definitly mean losing your warranty as wires need to be cut. SO it's better you stick to a 2channleamp and a sub with enclosure.

Regards,
Sankar
Wait,so wouldn't I anyway lose my cars warranty? By installing active subs? Don't they fiddle with the cars wiring?

Wait,so wouldn't I anyway lose my cars warranty? By installing active subs? Don't they fiddle with the cars wiring?
Nope if you don't cut original wiring then you won't lose warranty. Subwoofers, amplifiers can be installed with out cutting the original wires. Don't really know how they do it, but my car accessories friend told me "We clip the wires while installation and don't cut the wires so warranty will be intact"

Regards,
Sankar

Hey TAI'ns

Thanks,TFF.
Hi There,
I have installed Sony HT IV 300 in my Mahindra Thar. My setup is simple. Ordered Honeywell Car Inverter 400w, hooked it up to cigarette lighter, and everything works well. I blowed Sub as i Ran sub at 2db gain. I am using 8ohms Subwoofer with lowered gain (0db) for Subwoofer. I ran it for 6 hours continuously. No issues so far.
My Power rating for Home Theater is 1000 watts.
Not sure about battery though. It has NFC, Bluetooth usb all. Will try to upload YouTube video about this Setup. Organize wiring with Any casing and you'll be good to go. I bet you'll love the bass..

Top Bottom