Holding Power Steering at Extreme Positions?

Thread Starter #1
hi everybody.i have a question to ask about power steering system.can we hold steering at one position(left or right) continious for long period? for eg. if i want to take a u turn and kept my steering to extreme right(or left)position waiting for proper time to take the turn because of moving traffic.is that correct to keep the steering in that position for long time? i am asking this because i heard from somewhere that keeping power steering in either positions for long time may damage the seals and all.

Re: how long to hold right or left?

This should not be a problem as far as I guess. May be experts can throw some light on this topic.

There is no reason why it should damage anything by holding it in position, be it extreme right/left.

This again can be divided in Hydraulic power steering & electric/electronic power steering. Which one are you referring to?

hi everybody.i have a question to ask about power steering system.can we hold steering at one position(left or right) continious for long period? for eg. if i want to take a u turn and kept my steering to extreme right(or left)position waiting for proper time to take the turn because of moving traffic.is that correct to keep the steering in that position for long time? i am asking this because i heard from somewhere that keeping power steering in either positions for long time may damage the seals and all.
Well i dont know about holding it for long time,but i have heard in some cars turning & banging the steering to full lock aggressively would lead to failure,guess it was the lancer,octavia & old santro among them, not absolutely sure though.

Well i dont know about holding it for long time,but i have heard in some cars turning & banging the steering to full lock aggressively would lead to failure,guess it was the lancer,octavia & old santro among them, not absolutely sure though.
I have heard similar things too.

For Logan, I was advised not to hold the steering on any extreme ends(that is if you turn and hold it tight), as the steering unit will make a slight groaning noise.

Folks,
If you read the manuals, it is always written, it is advisable not to hold the steering pushed to one side for more than 5-10 secs.

By Pushed they do not mean turned, it means you should not be applying force to keep it in place. When you push, the turning is blocked after a certain point. You should not push it farther as it doesn't do any good, rather spoils the Steering rack assembly.

Just turn the steering lightly, not with force and get used to amount you have to turn and do not make the internal mechanism stop it. Its just a matter of getting used to it.

I hope that helps.

Top Bottom