Re: Hey Auto Enthus

Welcome yo TAI ClassiCAR !

In the meanwhile, I will hunt for the following:
1) headlamp rims
2) Tail lamps
3) Sunshade with clamps and chrome strips
4) Steering wheel
5) Smiths meters
Why not visit the humble GUJRI for getting these ?

Thread Starter #5

thank you RPM2500,
I had been to the gujri once and asked for whatever I needed but the only things he had were head lamp rims(out of shape) and just the sunshade piece without chrome strips. And the worst part is that both were rotten like anything, you won't accept even if he gives them free of cost. I have heard that any Amby part is available in chennai in good condition. So, I am thinking of going there and getting everything at once when I begin the restoration.
2012-12-15 09.49.53.jpg

2012-12-15 09.52.44.jpg

2012-12-15 09.50.41.jpg

2012-01-22 12.49.45.jpg

thank you RPM2500,
I had been to the gujri once and asked for whatever I needed but the only things he had were head lamp rims(out of shape) and just the sunshade piece without chrome strips. And the worst part is that both were rotten like anything, you won't accept even if he gives them free of cost. I have heard that any Amby part is available in chennai in good condition. So, I am thinking of going there and getting everything at once when I begin the restoration.
For parts like these you will have to make a contact there and give them your number and and tell them to call you if they are available in the near future
Also its a good practice to just take a walk once in a while to see if a similar car has come for scrap

For parts without chrome, Take it ! we can get it chromed in Tannery road

Also in case you need any contacts for paint job let me know, he does a wonderful job at a throw away price. Painted my car by him only

Re: Ambassador Mark II - Due for Restoration,Need suggestions,Inputs.

Hi,
Great to see AMBY post entering theautomotiveindia.Ambassador always rocks. Whether you have planned for the complete restoration.

Me too doing the same, but not to the old design interiors and exteriors. I am interested in making the Ambassador car also to have some different look interiors.

Bucket seats for Ambassadors will be very different compared to other cars. In my post i have posted some of my Uncle Amby pictures.
My Suggestion : Dont put the latest cars bucket seats like the one in the picture above. [:)]

I am trying.. trying.. trying for almost 1 year 2 months.[cry]

Still going going... Dont know when they will finish their work. [:D]

Re: HM Ambassador Mark II - Due for Restoration. Need Suggestions.

I see a lot of Tinker works (to be done on interiors) before you get it fully repainted. I guess it will cost a bomb if you approach any new/unknown painter. How are the mechanicals? wiring? etc

I would love to see your Amby, lets meet up may be this week itself what do you say?

Thread Starter #9

Hi ss80, as far as mechanicals are concerned there are no such problems for a car this old. Be it the suspension, steering, transmission are all okay. Brakes need some vigorous pumping action early morning before it comes to life and later braking improves. Wiring, to say is a bit annoying, reason being loose contact and short problems. The wiper wont work properly. and lighting is always a problem. Headlamps work, but trafficators fail sometimes. Starter solenoid had some problem (now fixed), battery commits suicide if I dont give her a crank within the third day. Yes you can see my car, better on weekends.

Thread Starter #10
Re: Ambassador Mark II - Due for Restoration,Need suggestions,Inputs.

Hey Ambylovers, finally i found another proud amby owner. Your amby looks awesome, looks like you like modern amby styles. Yes, you were right with respect to not going for bucket seats. But the only problem with bench seats is while cornering, I feel as if someone is pushing me out of the car(centrifugal effect), but that is not the case with bucket seats. Yes, to get that perfect car, it is going to take a lot of time and sometimes it is never going to end at all. Past 6 months I had been working on the car and I will never be satisfied unless I restore her fully. I have planned to take up the restoration project seriously from MAR/APR2013. In the meanwhile I will be in search of the original accessories she had in the 60's.

Thread Starter #11

I would like to know approximately how much is it going to cost me for tinkering and painting( including running board replacement). Because I have heard different quotes from different painters and tinkers.

Hi,
As per my understanding your work includes Runboard change,Dick change,Some work in the body too. Have you checked the platform of the car.
It will come 25000 to 35000 in Coimbatore surroundings for a perfect work. Am not sure about the Bangalore guys.

Since you have not checked inside the mudguard,glass border seatings,Platforms,Interior Top. The rate may increase.

Painting will depend on the metallic and normal. For my Dupont paint, it is coming around 22000 to 25000 for complete setup (Undercoat,Inner coat,Overcoat and Final coat).

Hi,
Kindly check my post in which i have posted some of the images of how we worked in the body.

Top Bottom