HM Ambassador Mark-II (1964): Unrestored & Still Kicking Strong

Thread Starter #1
Hey Folks, I’m Sridhar, I’ve just joined as a new member.

I’m proud to present my story about my 1964 Ambassador Mark2, It was bought brand new by my father from SIAC (now dissolved) on Mount Road in Madras on November 4th for Rs.16500, when I was a cute 12 year old boy and now I’m a proud grandpa myself.

I started using the car from 1971 after my dad sadly passed away, and I’m still using it. There is no question of restoration in this story. Just that usual wear and tear and repairs. Of course, the crankshaft and pistons, differential crown wheel and pinion, ball joints and suspension bushes, have been replaced over the years. Otherwise, the original engine and gearbox are still going strong. Believe it or not, the gearbox oil was flushed and changed, but the gearbox never needed to be opened for anything, with God’s Grace. Even the steering gear shifter is original.

The body paint and colour have been changed 3 times, the present colour in 1995, after tinkering any rusted portions at each of those times. I would have loved to post the video of the car running on road, but this media doesn’t seem to allow videos. Hence, the pictures. The black and white picture was taken in the summer of 1965 on a trip to Ooty. The second picture at the Marina beach was taken in 1980, with me standing wearing bell bottom pants, the fashion of the time. The third picture was taken on Nov 4th 2014, on the car’s 50th Anniversary and the final one is of the present time (Nov. 2020) on it’s 56th Anniversary.

This piece of history has always been garaged from Day 1, and wiped clean and dry after every run in the rain. So, now you can guess my age! I still miss my beloved dad, who, I’m glad has left behind this legend of a car for me to take care of, enjoy and treasure. I thank God for blessing me with a son and grandson who shall continue this legacy after my time. Also included, is a picture of my dad who purchased this beauty. I trust that you enjoyed this incredible factual story as much as I loved sharing this with all you classic car lovers.

Thanks.
Warm regards.

Attachments

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Hey Folks, I’m Sridhar, I’ve just joined as a new member.

I’m proud to present my story about my 1964 Ambassador Mark2, It was bought brand new by my father
This piece of history has always been garaged from Day 1, and wiped clean and dry after every run in the rain. So, now you can guess my age! I still miss my beloved dad, who, I’m glad has left behind this legend of a car for me to take care of, enjoy and treasure. I thank God for blessing me with a son and grandson who shall continue this legacy after my time. Also included, is a picture of my dad who purchased this beauty. I trust that you enjoyed this incredible factual story as much as I loved sharing this with all you classic car lovers.
Welcome onboard!
Very nicely maintained car and kept spic and span for such a looong time spanning many decades , without disturbing the originality of the car !! Congrats for that. How much is the odometer now? Is this our only ride? Please post more closeup pics of car, esp. interiors, chassis and engine bay. Very much interested in your maintenances and upkeeping process.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thank you gentlemen, for your appreciation. I shall surely reply to your interests during this weekend. However, I noticed that my Introduction message has not been posted on that page. I wonder what happened! In case it is lost, I could repeat that on the Intro page. Thanks. P Sridhar.

Wow! 56years with that Beauty, what a journey it would have been, that car might be an encyclopedia of wonderful memories, of journeys, of life. Do keep sharing more pictures of your car and experiences. I dream of owning an Ambassador one day, and now this post has made me crave even more.

Ambassador is really a nice car . I own one but have not maintained it properly, looking at your car seems like, i should work on it to make it again rock n roll

Crisp and nice review; sir, you may post more pictures and service schedules that you may have done over the time and also other interesting tidbits about the car. That looks like a pristinely maintained car. Pls post more photos. Thanks

Top Bottom