HM Ambassador Mark-2 Restoration

Thread Starter #16
The after almost 9 months the car got ready..It is one of the oldest registration in trivandrum(KLT).i even took it for my marriage.all original parts collected and chromed..steering ,tail lamps front grill and bumpers and beadings collected with a lot of effort
i decided to go with the original body even if it was too old and rusted..i felt it had some life in it and didn't want to see it crushed in a scrap yard.So i decided to paint it with the old shell white colour and clear coating...since white colour is suited for old body with little imperfections..i will plan to paint it with dupont later after seeing for any rust or peeling off

almost 99% parts are stock except the matador diesel engine..i managed to get the steering gear and fitted it.The engine though matador ,seems to be refined with lesss vibration and noise,i changed the foundation bolt and clutch assembly when steering gear was matched...a little bit of mechanical works like rear leaf setting was only required

i will enlist the approx cost so that it will be useful for others
patch work changing running board,door outer,wheel arches,small dents 25000 including material
mechanical and spares and fitting 10000
paint and labour 15000
underbody 2000
collecting vintage parts and chroming them 20000
battery 5000
tyres 12000
electrical i did fully new 9000
ac fitting 8000rs(compressor was already fitted)
gear box changed to steering type and clutch changed 9000
seat and upholstery 13000

since it is a matador engine and the heat during the daytime forced me to fit an ac..though i didn't like to spoil the looks,but i managed to fix the condenser and blower to the bottom without disturbing the original meters and dash..ac is nice and powerful matching new gen cars..brakes are old drum type,steering old type and old model steering gear gives the ultimate driving experience..

many people asked to fix power steering power brakes isuzu engine and platform gear for better serviceability and comfort..But i think it is like ruining the original beauty...i don't want to force more performance from this 60 year old machine,i respect it as it is and i let it do what it can do its best

Believe me these old mechanisms are soo comfortable if you find the joy of riding it,if you can use the colourless brake fluid which is less hygroscopic after cleaning all brake drums it works best..no need of power brakes...our grandparents used it well for many years so why we cannot???

I never takes him out in the rains,i washes him weekly,I take him out once in a week,i can take my whole family of 7 members in this wonderful machine for an outing on holidays when the traffic is less.I don't push him above 60kmph nor give him to anyone else for driving because i know how he will behave and i got used to the steering gear and plan the breaking and plan the turns..though a little bit of muscle power needed its a BLISS..I remember my grandfather when ever i touch this car,the pride i get when i take him on the roads of trivandrum city,i'm sure i won't get even from a BMW(really an indigenous car)

I look for the temperature when i use the AC,i turned the ac off if it shoots above normal , the original jalwa horn is like a royal triumph to those who enjoys it..I have to heat it for a few seconds before start,i looks at the oil pressure gauge , the gear pattern have to be get used once you get used it feels like the paddle shift of the merc...Still i parks the vehicle at a distance and enjoys her beauty at different angles and views...I feel like i saved an old machine from getting cut into pieces for scrap in that graveyard..Some say im stupid to spent almost 2 lakh on this old car , some say i could have bought a new car..i keep silent , "BEAUTY LIES IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER"

I look for the temperature when i use the AC,i turns the ac off if it shoots above normal , the original jalwa horn is like a royal triumph to those who enjoys it..I have to heat it for a few seconds before start,i looks at the oil pressure gauge , the gear pattern have to be get used once you get used it feels like the paddle shift of the merc...Still i parks the vehicle at a distance and enjoys her beauty at different angles and views...I feel like i saved an old machine from getting cut into peices for scrap in that graveyard..Some say im stupid to spent almost 2laks on this old car , some say i could have bought a new car..i keep silent , "BEAUTY LIES IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER"
I thank my younger brother who was the only support to me to restore this machine , the only person to whom i handover this car is him.There is a story behind each part of this car which i can remember and the pain i took to collect it(even the white indicator lamps inside the grill, orange was available but i hunted for the original white one).I enquired in the RTO if i could convert it back to the original petrol engine,but i dont think it will work out.The recent NGT ban on 15 years or more diesel engines is a big question.But i think there are a lot of vintage diesel car owners like me who will fight for the existence of these machines.I think these machines if well maintained are less polluting than the new diesel vehicles.There are other options like issuing vintage certificates to old cars or even specific days allotment to use these cars on roads like in foreign countries can be implemented here also.After all we Indians value our history and pedigree more than anyone else and hope the government will support us to save these lovely machines with their original identity

Thank you all for your support,request your forgiveness for any grammatical or spelling mistakes
Unnikrishnan S

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing work, there! Glad you could find your grandfather's old car and bring it back to life. No money on a modern BMW, Mercedes or Audi can match this classic beauty.
I owned a 2005 model Amby 2000 DSL earlier. Sadly had to sell it off in 2014. They said HM cut costs on the metal on the later models. Even so it was a tank compared to modern cars. These old Ambies must truly feel like a Panzer tank. :)

Re: MARK 2 ambassador restoration

does any one know this green shade exact name?I am restoring my maby into this colour.
Glad to know that another Ambassador fan is keen on Restoring for Nostalgic upkeep.
Had a lot of fond memories with my Ambassador which I owned for over 8.5 years, but sold it in 2004 when I relocated to Gulf.
However, i must admit that today we have more options on modification than on those days.
Looking at the Body damage pictures, i feel that extensive body parts is required. My advice is look for an accident car from the Junk yards in nearby cities or try the Chennai studio they have many old body partially damaged during film shoot.

once again very glad to hear about another Ambassador enthusiast

Last edited:
Hello Unnikrisna, The car is looking good from the pictures what you have posted. would request you to take some more pictures of both interior & exterior & post it.
Loved the connection you have with your grandfathers car.
Awaiting for the picture.
Cheers
vdm295

True inspiration Mr.Unni. It is very tough to get people working on Ambassador these days. I am currently restoring my 2005 model Ambassador and getting the right setting for each part is tough and needs experienced hands. Enjoy your ride. Happy and Safe driving..!!

Top Bottom