HM Ambassador Mark-2 Restoration

Thread Starter #1
I am restoring my grand fathers ambassador mark 2 1965.It was unused for many years,and recovers in a very bad condition.I would invite your precious opinions through out my restoaration

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Hi unnikrishna,
Nice to see an Ambassador restoration [clap] I would suggest you to restore the car by adding features like power steering, disc brakes, brake boosters, floor mounted gear shift lever and more. And how about adding the 1.8L Izuzu engine and a 5 speed gearbox?
These threads and posts might help you to get some ideas:
PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India - Page 212 - Team-BHP
HM Ambassador - At 45th year. Reincarnation process in progress. - Team-BHP
HM Ambassador Modifications: Power steering, disc brakes etc. - Team-BHP
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/nostalgic-era/4967-my-hm-ambassador-6666-renovation-pics-page-9-onwards.html
Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration - Team-BHP

All the best!!
With regards,
Harikrishnan

Hi UnniKrishna,
Very good to see another lad showing interest in restoration. One thing common you might have noticed in all threads, That is TIME.
You need to find a very good Tinker, Painter , Mechanic to restore this beauty to its original shape.

One car which is having almost every color is the one and only Ambassador. You can see lots of color variations.
The color which you have shown is not metallic, If you are comfortable in the same color which you pointed out, we can get in coimbatore.
All the best. Always we are there to help.

Last edited:
Hi Unni, I am reliving my childhood memories looking at these all time classics.

TAI has a host of restoration guru's, starting from Ambylovers, Incarnation, Ilingo, pardon me could recollect these for now.

All the best.

Vinod

Thread Starter #8
This was actually my grand fathers car.He sold it in 1989.I was in search of this car since 2010,After a looong search,the owner told me that it was scraped one year before.I went to the scrap yard which he told,for my luck it was still alive...in a very much rusted condition.It is a 1965 model,one of the Trivandrum first registration(KLT series )car.
Now it is being patched worked at my native place..il post the pictures of my restoration soon

Almost all parts are totally rusted,I met an old patch worker who agreed to repair it.The body is either full of rust and where there is paint,it is full of blisters.He finished the patch work in 7 months.Running boards,platforms,4 door bottoms,wheel arches,door frames....Now the paint is being scrapped out and applied with primer on base metal to check for any blisters recurring

IMG-20150920-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20150925-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20150908-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20151109-WA0011.jpg

This was the original car with my grandfather near to it

rishimangalam 20160306_221444.jpg

Many people including the workshop man suggested me to buy a good ambassdor car body from scrap yard,and use it instead of repairing this rusted car body.But i felt myself to bring this original car back to life,since it was our family car once.
May be the pain to restore it and the cost involved will be too high,but i am sure the happiness i get at last,when i drive him on the roads will reward myself

The painter recommended me not to use dupont now,since the body had too much rust deep inside.Even if we did full scrapping of rust till we saw the metal and applied thick metal primer coats,to avoid risks of using high cost paint at first, i decided to use DUCO shell white colour which was original mark2 colour in the 1960s and later on i can switch to a better colour after conforming the body quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
@unniskrishna, I can see your passion to fully restore this nostalgic piece of family history, please do make sure the chassis is straight before your restoration work begins.

I am glued, all the best

The painter recommended me not to use dupont now,since the body had too much rust deep inside.Even if we did full scrapping of rust till we saw the metal and applied thick metal primer coats,to avoid risks of using high cost paint at first, i decided to use DUCO shell white colour which was original mark2 colour in the 1960s and later on i can switch to a better colour after conforming the body quality.
I suggest dont do double work. Change the door outer part, it will be available ready made.
Check the Bonnet, Dick and Water channel and try out the base coat with Duco and leave it sun light for 10 to 15 days and check for final patti and proceed with Dupont itself.

Duco will be less cost, but after one year you may see lot of difference.

Note : Metallic paints were way costlier compared to Dupont normal paint and Dupont normal paint is costlier than the Duco. But Dupont normal and Metallic will be the best one for Ambassador.

Last edited:
Yea like you said, the memories matter most. Changing the body can retain only the name of your amby, but you will regret for the lost memories with the original body. But if you rebuild the original body you will live the past once again. All the best for your restoration.[:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Unniskrishna, how has the restoration going on. Hope the car must be out of the workshop now and you would be enjoying the drive in it.
Which engine is this car got. Has it got the original OHV or something else. Do update!

Thread Starter #15
Re: MARK 2 ambassador restoration

does any one know this green shade exact name?I am restoring my maby into this colour.
The after almost 9 months the car got ready..It is one of the oldest registration in trivandrum(KLT).i even took it for my marriage.all original parts collected and chromed..steering ,tail lamps front grill and bumpers and beedings collected with a lot of effort

Attachments

Top Bottom