Hindustan Ambassador Mark-IV: My Metal Toy

Thread Starter #1
This car is something very special to me because this is owned by my dad. This is mark 4 variant of model 1986. The soft & smooth petrol engine is replaced by a roaring & vigorous diesel matador engine..[:D]
After i started to drive, the change i brought in the exterior is that i changed the mark 4 wheel rims into maruthi gypsy rims, which gives a better muscular look to my car [:D] and metal strip which is introduced by the company in the amby grand models. But the strip is more wider than the original size, which i feels more in its look than the company made strip [;)]. And in the interior part, the steering wheel is replaced by the steering of ambassador nova models. At the same time the entire steering mechanism is replaced by the new ball bearing hand setup for more comfort than the old bush bearing type setup. Later the nova steering wheel is replaced by a three spoke wooden steering wheel. The front sofa seats were replaced by the bucket seats.The dash board is also replaced by the amby classic model. And a center console is added in between the front seats which starts from the dash board. The gear shift mechanism levers is also shifted from the steering mold to the floor as in new models & a wooden knob is also added for more classic look.

Attachments

Last edited:
Interior picture reminds me of my Uncle's Ambassador which he had in the 1980s. My dad had Maruti800, They race, Obviously Maruti wins, but then the size and sturdiness of the ambassador are awesome. I still remember those days. Great pictures Indian Muscle[:D]

Ambassador is indeed very tough car. You abuse it hard, it wont say a word to you.It was build for the early Indian Road where all road were filled with Path holes, no road at all.

Now it has lost it's shine because of HM never thought of giving a face lift to the model. They never thought to a upgrade to the engine.

My opinion if you have kept the interior like steering wheel,gear etc in it's stock format , it would have looked more elegant.

Wow! Nice to see another classic beauty on the forum. It looks absolutely stunning in the first pic [thumbsup]

Engine change is quite interesting [thinking]

Outer rings for the Gypsy rims will give you a better look than this.
How about the Bearing type suspension which you installed. I got installed and it was working fine in good roads. But if any bad patch of roads comes, then the thud sound in steering will start till the road ends.
But it was a good option to reduce the man power to operate the steering wheel.

Post some more pictures of your interiors.

1987 Hindustan Ambassador Mark 4

Hello there folks , have been a member in this forum for past few months but wasn't active that much . Here's some pictures of my ride 1987 Ambassador Mark 4 petrol , coloum shift.[:D]

Attachments

Hi Mark4,
Car looks almost in Stock Condition. The Chrome Beeding running in side of the car was very nice in early Amby models.

Hi Ambylover ,
Thanks for the compliment , yes the car is almost stock on the exterior , the missing parts I have with me have to get them fixed. Interior is in a,mess have a dash made out of plywood ( now in really bad condition ) , a wooden steering and changed roof light .

Top Bottom