High Security Vehicle Registration Plates (HSRP)

Thread Starter #1
On the basis of the recommendations made by the Technical Standing Committee on Central Motor Vehicles Rules, the Central Government had amended rule 50 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989, mandating introduction of new High Security Registration Plates, both in respect of new and in-use motor vehicles throughout the country. The relevant Gazette Notifications are G.S.R. 221 (E) dated 28-03-2001, S.O. 814(E) dated 22-08-2001 and S.O. 1041 (E) dated 16-10-2001.
Features of High Security Registration Plates:

i. Chromium hologram.

ii. A retro-reflective film, bearing a verification inscription ’India’ at 45 degree inclination.

iii. Laser numbering, which is unique in nature containing alpha-numeric identification of both Testing Agencies and the manufacturers.

iv. The Registration numbers to be embossed on the plates.

v. In case of rear registration plate, same to be fitted with a non-reusable snap lock to make it tamper proof.

vi. A Chromium based third registration plate in the form of sticker is to be attached to the wind shield, wherein the number of engine and chassis are indicated along with the name of registering authority. If tampered with, it self destructs.

vii. In front and rear registration plates, letter IND in blue color is hot stamped.

viii. Letters ‘IND’ in blue colour on extreme left centre of the plates.

The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India has amended Rule 50 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989 to standardize the pattern of displaying registration mark throughout India. The existing system of display of registration mark has the following flaws:

1. People paint the registration mark in any fancy painting, any size, with undesirable monograms, etc.
2. The repainting or change of registration plate is very easy, whereby criminals get away unnoticed. The fake registration plate encourages robberies and road based crimes.
3. Deceptive/fancy registration mark creates a lot of inconvenience in identifying the vehicle involved in crimes, traffic offences, road rage, or hit and run cases.
4. Roadside registration mark painting shows a backwardness of the country and is out of sync with modem technology automobiles.
5. Under the existing system, where all records are manually created and maintained, it is difficult to compile national data of motor vehicles. HSRP will help in creating computerised data of old registered vehicles and new vehicles at places where computerised records are not maintained at present. With the networking of all RTOs, it will become easy to prepare national data of motor vehicles.

To implement the scheme of the Govt. of India and to introduce the High Security Registration Plates in India, Shimnit India and Erich Utsch AG of Germany have formed a Joint Venture Company known as Shimnit Utsch India Pvt. Ltd., with its Registered Office at Mumbai. Erich Utsch AG of Germany is a 40 years old Company and is a world leader for manufacturing and supplying of the High Security Registration Plates in 92 countries with logistics support.

The blank and finished license plates will be produced and supplied via Embossing Stations/ Fixing Stations throughout the country. These Embossing Stations will produce individual license plates for each vehicle owner. The company intends to provide sufficient number of embossing stations to cater to the requirement of all the registering authorities.

Shimnit Utsch India Pvt. Ltd. will set up an Information Management System, connecting all embossing stations through VPN Technology, thus providing secondary cross verification process and documentation of key related fields such as Chassis Number, Engine Number and Registration Number and will help in maintaining a proper record of each license plate issued.

Through introduction of this facility, a consolidated national database of vehicle registration can be developed which is not available at present. This will benefit the Law Enforcement Authorities in identifying the vehicle used for crime immediately at the click of a button.

Last edited:
Is there any indication when the High Security VIN plates will finally be made mandatory?

In Goa it's already mandatory for new vehicles. Don't know what the deadline for existing cars is.
Oh!
I was not aware of Goa.
Any other place?
But does not make sense to leave it to the state RTO, does it, it should be done on a nationwide basis for it to be effective.
This story has been doing the rounds since 2002 or so, if I remember correctly, and the implementation got mired in controversy, coz only a select few companies were allotted the privilege of making these plates, and it was found that there were politicians involved in all of them.

Oh this news is completely new for me! Never knew that Goa has this now in its new cars!

The sooner it is implemented , the better as it will remove all the flaws mentioned above!

But it is easier said than done. Will take many more years unless they work out a proper strategy!

I think it was supposed to be implemented everywhere. But since the last decision was left to states RTO, it was never been an important issue.

Yes. This change is throughout India & will come in to act soon!

As of now, its not mandatory & left to the choice of state governments.

It wasn't implemented longback because, that is when most of the states were changing the colors of number plate, fonts & emgraving / embossing.

But This rule is expected to make its way with newer emission norms!

IND plates are already selling for 800-2000 in Chennai!!

I think it was supposed to be implemented everywhere. But since the last decision was left to states RTO, it was never been an important issue.
Something like the helmets?
Then it will take forever to happen!!

Embosed Number Plates!! (HSRP or IND Plates)

Okey guys I brought these new embosed number plates for my Pulsar, so thought to share here! Most of them might know these plates and many of you might be knowing it by the name of 'IND Plates' or 'HSRP(High Security Regestration Plates)'
News were out that these plates will be mandatory in few months but I simply brought these because of its looks and make![:D] It suits well on any ride.
More over these are the original ones and not those fake ones which are available in the market.
These has the 3D Ashola Chakra Logo, IND alphabets, INDIA written on the number at 45degree angle and also those permanent screws!
The following are some of the pics I clicked,(playing with the camera!!) and will post more pics after fitting them them on my ride![:)]

Attachments

Last edited:

Arun

Suspended
Yes. They do look very good on any car or bike. I was told they cost 1.8k. How much did you shell out for them?

Also, I believe they come in certain standard sizes or is it any size we want?

I also heard that it's going to be mandatory to have those !
Is it true ? Does anyone know about this on TAI ?
But it certainly looks cool & please tell what's the cost !

Arun

Suspended
Yes, it will be mandatory in a while. Of what I've heard and known, sometime this year.

Also, there is interesting point being risen that the HSRPs must be issued by the RTO. Any other will be considered as a 'replica'. Anyone having info on the same, please update!

These plates cost 5000 INR for cars in Bangalore RTO.
The alphabets on these plates cannot be altered.
And if someone tries to tamper it the plate gets cut.
And in the night these plates are clearly visble when light falls on it, as this is not the case with normal ones.
This helps one to identify cops easily in hit and run cases.

Top Bottom