High Security Vehicle Registration Plates (HSRP)

Vehicle Number Plate Information & Concerns

Just heard from a reliable source that it has been made mandatory in NCR to have a high security number plate on every vehicle? can anyone verify this news?

I am due to get delivery of my car soon and wondering if the same can be requested from dealerships itself?

350Z

Core Team
Re: Vehicle Number Plate Information & Concerns

I am due to get delivery of my car soon and wondering if the same can be requested from dealerships itself?
Yes. It’s in fact dealer’s liability to provide the car with HSRP before handing over it to the owner. That’s what dealers in Delhi have been doing.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes. It’s in fact dealer’s liability to provide the car with HSRP before handing over it to the owner. That’s what dealers in Delhi have been doing.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks for the info 350Z. Not sure if the dealers of other parts of NCR are also doing the same (read Noida /Ghaziabad) as my region falls under it and not Delhi. Please guide

Thanks for the info 350Z. Not sure if the dealers of other parts of NCR are also doing the same (read Noida /Ghaziabad) as my region falls under it and not Delhi. Please guide
Check if it is mandatory for UP/HR Rtos also. If not you can get clones (look alike) for Rs 700/- a pair.

Guys, is HSRP mandatory for old cars as well? I know for new cars we need to add these plates but what about the old cars, and what is the process of installing it?

Check if it is mandatory for UP/HR Rtos also. If not you can get clones (look alike) for Rs 700/- a pair.
Thanks for the idea Anshuman, checked with my source. I am informed that with UP registration it is not mandatory to have this number plate. In fact he says it was started some 1.5 years back in Ghaziabad but was discontinued after only one month. Hence with UP registration I can roam freely withing Delhi with no issues

I am informed that these plates can only be issued at RTO and no other source, I believe that should be true.

Thanks

I am informed that these plates can only be issued at RTO and no other source, I believe that should be true.

Thanks
Yes only for the original ones, duplicates (which look identical) without original hologram and serial number, are available in the accessory shops.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I am not sure if all the dealers are adhering to the requirement.
I have seen quite a few new vehicles with those paper strips pasted instead of number plates.

Also when I inquired at one of the Honda Showroom in the city, they told me that it takes over a month to get the HSRPs and we have to get them ourselves from the RTO once they are ready.

Yes only for the original ones, duplicates (which look identical) without original hologram and serial number, are available in the accessory shops.
I have heard that. So if things can be duplicated so easily what's the point of having them at first place, just for getting more revenue for RTO?

All the new vehicles in Bangalore are getting IND number plates (with hologram). Is not that different from HSRP number plates? If it is different, why people are forcing for IND number plates? (Suzuki Access showroom in BTM are giving with hologram. They say it is a must). You can even see Green/Red/Yellow IND plates [lol]

Confused mainly because , seen a tender happened on March 15,2013. If the things are happening already, why the tenders ?
What is a High Security Registration Plate?

As the name suggests, a High Security Registration Plate (HSRP) is a highly secure number plate aimed to bring about a uniform pattern of displaying registration marks across the country. HSRP plates are made of aluminium featuring unique details apart from the registration number. The plates have a seven-digit unique laser code, chromium-based chakra hologram to prevent counterfeiting, a self destructive sticker with the engine and chassis numbers of the vehicle, ‘IND’ inscribed in blue colour, with India inscribed at a 45 degree angle in hot stamping foil across all letters and numbers on the plate. Last but not the least, it has a non removable and non reusable snap lock.
from here

Last edited:
All the new vehicles in Bangalore are getting IND number plates (with hologram). Is not that different from HSRP number plates? If it is different, why people are forcing for IND number plates? (Suzuki Access showroom in BTM are giving with hologram. They say it is a must). You can even see Green/Red/Yellow IND plates [lol]

Confused mainly because , seen a tender happened on March 15,2013. If the things are happening already, why the tenders ?
No, it has not yet started in KA for sure. Some dealers are giving those duplicate ones and charging a premium, they are available at accessory shops for 400 a pair(2W) and 700 a pair (4W)[clap]

Knock offs are available here as well, but with the usual premium price of Rs1000 for a pair of M800 plates.What is the procedure of getting them from the RTO?

Hi-tech number game soon Tenders Floated, Issue In High Court

Bangalore: Your flashy car will soon have a flashy number plate, with the High Security Number Plate (HSNP) rule kicking in once a notification is issued.
Tenders for technical bidding were floated on June 13 on a national scale to finalize vendors who will manufacture and sell the plates to state transport departments. This will be followed by financial bidding and a notification making HSNPs mandatory.

The aluminium plates will be inscribed with the letters ‘IND’ and sport a hologram of the Ashok Chakra, in keeping with other specifications. These will help the RTO and police track vehicles involved in road crimes, and also their sale and owners. Maruthi Sambrani, joint commissioner (enforcement and HSNP) told TOI, “All vehicles which are registered after the notification is out will automatically get security number plates, but old vehicles will have to get new plates. But there’s some time before notifications are issued by the Centre and state on this.”

Though the Centre amended Rule 50 of the Motor Vehicles Act 1989 to introduce HSNPs, technical glitches and legal tangles delayed their implementation.
“In 2006, tenders had been finalized but technical glitches landed the tenders in the high court. The HC has allowed us to float tenders but restrained us from awarding the final project until the litigation is over,” he added. The legal hurdles are mainly over the tender part of the project, and the fight between companies who would only manufacture, and those that manufacture and sell.

The litigation filed in the high court regards the pricing of the new type of number plates quoted by the previous bidders, which ranged between Rs 550 and Rs 1,200. Sources said that until last week, advocates flew in from Delhi to argue cases on this.
He added that the transport department is also trying to link the delivery of the HSNP to new and old vehicles, with e-payment and an online vehicle registration system, to maintain a database of vehicles and ease the process of delivery for the public as well.

Source - Article Window

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom