High-End Hatchback v/s Mid-Size Sedan

Which one would you go for?

• High-end Hatch (i20, Jazz, Fabia etc.)

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Mid-size Sedan (Manza, Dzire, Etios, Logan etc.)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
I always wondered, when there are good sized sedans with loads of features available at almost same price as that of high-end hatch-backs, why should one go for the hatch-back. [confused]

Here I am considering the comparison between sedans like Tata Manza, Swift Dzire, Etios, Logan etc. v/s i20, Honda Jazz, Fabia etc.

Please share your views for the same. Which one will you prefer?

I think the debate between Jalex and Surfer in the new Swift thread must be the source of inspiration for this thread![;)]

It all depends on the requirements of the user. If its going to be a city car and one doesn't need the added boot space then going in for a Hatch makes sense.

Also manufacturer's and their TCO depends a lot.

But for me i prefer a premium hatch more than an entry level sedan. None of the entry level sedans impress me to own them.

I voted for premium hatch over mid sedan. Reason is simple, I personally would like to have all the bells and whistles in a hatch rather a plain sedan.

As Dhaya suggested, mid size sedans are good for people who prefer boot but normal city driving on a daily basis does not make sense for a sedan. Thus, hatchbacks are brought into the pictures.

Although, mind set of people is changing with time but still I know many would buy a mid sedan just of the sake of boot and would not use it for ages.

Thread Starter #4
I voted for premium hatch over mid sedan. Reason is simple, I personally would like to have all the bells and whistles in a hatch rather a plain sedan.
Have you compared price of i20 with all bells & whistles with that of Manza top-end? It is almost the same! Then why miss out on the additional boot-space you get for the same price?

And if boot space is not needed at all, then why not go for a top-end version of small hatch-back having all features?

Have you compared price of i20 with all bells & whistles with that of Manza top-end? It is almost the same! Then why miss out on the additional boot-space you get for the same price?

And if boot space is not needed at all, then why not go for a top-end version of small hatch-back having all features?
Yes you are correct in saying that i20 top variant will go over Manza, but do keep in mind they belong to different brands and brand values. Manza in itself is a very good car and a true VFM, but it is from Tata. People who can carry it will buy it. Somethings in life we do for necessity and somethings for vanity. It is like one of those albeit considering the fat in wallet factor[:)]

Going for a sedan or a hatch is a purely personal decision. If you need a boot buy a car with one, if you rarely use it pick up a hatch. It will be always easier to drive in a city with our ever-increasing traffic and perishing parking space. Other factors are irrelevant like safety. If someone is hit so hard from rear that the additional boot will be a safety, how can be someone sure that the car will not hit someone in front.

I, personally will go for a hatch anyday as I don't have a requirement for a boot. Most new ones have good enough space to suffice for occasional extra shopping spree from wifey[glasses]

Last edited:

If i am right i think only Manza offers almost all the features which a fully loaded premium hatch offers , read only almost not all. Though i own an Aria i am still not convinced to go in for TATA and i will prefer a fully loaded premium hatch anyday.

I think the debate between Jalex and Surfer in the new Swift thread must be the source of inspiration for this thread!
[:D]

If i am right i think only Manza offers almost all the features which a fully loaded premium hatch offers , read only almost not all
I will go for manza diesel or Dezire diesel (not petrol)

If the car is going to be used mostly in city then Hatch is anytime better.
IF if the ratio is 50-50 city-Highway driving then sedan will be good as it can carry more baggage.

Car like Honda Jazz with more boot is anytime better than entry level sedan.

That's what I was saying. If boot is one's priority, he should go for a sedan otherwise hatchback would do the purpose.

For me, i20 would be better than Manza. Irrespective of the price. Maneuverability of a hatch in a city traffic like Delhi would be more than a sedan [cheers]

350Z

Core Team
There was a time when hatchbacks used to be categorized as low-end cars and sedans had an expensive image. Today it is an entirely different scenario. Brand new sedans are available for as low as Rs.4.5 Lakhs (Tata Indigo eCS) and hatchbacks can be as costly as Rs.21 Lakhs (Volkswagen Beetle). At this moment, if I have to spend on a car, then the reason why I would prefer a hatchback is because: They’re smaller in size and less pain to park or drive in traffic. Second, most of them are more stylish than the sedans in entry-level range. In fact, modern day hatchbacks are offering parallel (or perhaps better) comfort, quality, fun to drive factor than these types of sedans. So except for the boot / space, I don’t find a reason to opt a sedan. However, it is also true that what’s the harm in availing that additional boot for the same price? For this, I think; it will depend much on personal views and requirements. Also, it is important to note that even today, practically sedans receive more respect than hatchbacks when running on roads. Likewise, reasons for personal preference could be many. Just in-case, I have to choose a sedan, it will be a second hand C+ Segmenter unless a better entry-level mid-sizer rolls out.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I think the debate between Jalex and Surfer in the new Swift thread must be the source of inspiration for this thread![;)]

But for me i prefer a premium hatch more than an entry level sedan. None of the entry level sedans impress me to own them.
Did I and Surfer debate in the New Swift thread?[thinking] Getting rusted here[lol]

And premium hatch is the one for me. I can carry six 50kg bags in my Alto and it can also take in a 40"LCD T.v with the box with the rear seats down. I dont think many sedans can do that by the way. So who do you think has the advantage here? And when driving fast, sedans are usually tail happy.

Last edited:
Well when one has 5 members (family/friend) going for long trip then a sedan does make seance. Boot space holds the luggage and people can sit comfortably.

If the car is going to be used mostly in the city then hatch is anytime useful but for long drives sedan is comfortable. And its not possible for most of us to keep 2 cars.

i voted for the sedans. as we are able to carry more luggage on long drives. the comfort levels of rear seat of sedans are better than hatches , as also the safety factor in case of a rear end hit.

Top Bottom