High-End Hatchback v/s Mid-Size Sedan

Which one would you go for?

• High-end Hatch (i20, Jazz, Fabia etc.)

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Mid-size Sedan (Manza, Dzire, Etios, Logan etc.)

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
On the question of size, just wanted to reconfirm on the interior cabin space of the premium hatches.

A i20 and a jazz probably has bigger shoulder and leg space than some of the sedans. So the comfort levels are higher too.

Did I and Surfer debate in the New Swift thread?[thinking] Getting rusted here[lol]

And premium hatch is the one for me. I can carry six 50kg bags in my Alto and it can also take in a 40"LCD T.v with the box with the rear seats down. I dont think many sedans can do that by the way. So who do you think has the advantage here? And when driving fast, sedans are usually tail happy.
Some sedans do have foldable rear seat.Cars like swift dont have rear folding swifts.At least the old ones didnt.

Sedan if its the only car in the family. The extra luggage space you get is always worth it. Also you don't sit with the luggage. Its in the 'dicky'[:)]

Premium hatch if its a second car in the family, mostly city running with little or no luggage carrying.

Surfer, Well that sure is a valuable point. But then again depends upon how often one goes on a long trip with the whole family.

I had a friend who had two sisters in the U.K. He said he needed a sedan as he wont be able to go to the airport and pick up them along with the luggage if its a hatch. So he went and got himself a brand new Accent. And his sisters came just once in the one and a half years he kept the car that means four trips to the airport. He only ran 6000Kms as well and had to sell it off cause he found it a pain in the city as well as uneconomical to run. And he also lost 1.75 lakhs through the sell off. He could have got an Innova to run for the whole time and still had enough money left to go on an all India trip.

What I'm saying is if you are not doing so many trips with the whole family, Its wiser and practical to stick to a premium hatch. You can always call an 8 seater taxi to go on trips and it still will be economical compared to going for the big sedan. Well thats my way of looking at things and you can have a different point of view.

I have voted for hatchbacks. The primary reason being the parking issues in cities. However, the only thing i find really weird about the high end hatchbacks in india is that most of them have no option bigger heart. This is the only factor which attracts me towards the VW and Skoda who have provided an option of bigger heart under the hood of their baby cars.

For me:

If its the only car in my family; then It has to be a Sedan.
Firstly because Boot is used for long trips.
Secondly; Boot is again used when our relatives/friends comes/go out of station. You know the luggage they carry. It is useful.
Thirdly; our business needs a car with a boot.

If its a second car; it will be a Hatch back!
Simply because it is easy to park in the city and will be easy to handle than a sedan. (whenever I travel alone in my DZire, I always feel the car is too big to drive in the city for a single person; so I prefer taking my bike in that case)

In short my vote goes for a hatch back because we already have a sedan![:D]

Voted for high end hatchback because that is what exactly I have done. Bought a Punto when I could have got a Dzire, Manza or Etios for much less.

No offence to it's owners, but these mid size sedans feels built to a price & feels compromising in many areas. To me, they just dont have the feel of a proper car.

Top Bottom