High End Air Filters - Are They Really Worth It?

This is a good discussion, but let's get a few things straight:

More Air flow does NOT mean more particulates!
It may seem a bit illogical but it is true! It all comes down to the design and the cellular structure of the material itself.
A stock filter is made of paper, while a performance filter is typically made of cotton gauze.
The cellulose in cotton gauze is much looser packed than the cellulose in paper, this means that although the size of the pores for air to pass is the same, there are simply more pores for air to pass. The increase in dust crossing due to this is extremely minimal when compared to the change in air flow, but just to be on the safer side companies coat their cotton filters with a special 'tack' oil. This is a slightly sticky oil that catches most of the particulates that try to get through the filter.
It is by these methods that a good quality performance filter can increase air flow and filtration power simultaneously!

As far as stock replacement vs. conical filter is concerned, it all comes down to the surface area of both, a larger surface area being better for all purposes.
This can vary between cars and filter models, so before you jump to conclusions or generalize, do some simple geometric calculations to figure out which option will give you a better surface area for filtration!

Can some one help me with a K&N stock filter part number for my 1.6 ZXi ford Ikon.
As far as I can tell, neither K&N nor BMC make a stock-replacement air filter for the 1.6l Ford Ikon.

Check if your car shares an engine with any other Ford vehicle, since their air filters might be compatible.

Can some one help me with a K&N stock filter part number for my 1.6 ZXi ford Ikon.
Hi, K&N got large numbers of different sizes and shapes of filters, so there are chances to have one for the Ikon 1.6ZXI as well.

What you have to do is measure the dimensions of your stock filter and make a search over here. K&N Air Filter Search by Dimension

FYI, Even though K&N got the perfect fit stock replacement filter for my A-star It is not mentioned in the website that it is applicable for the car A-star. So What I'm saying is search with its dimension.

Cone filter is far more better than a stock replacements filter.

An update of my K&N Stock Replacement Air Filter after covering 10,000kms. Still no problem of engine suffocation and the inside of the airbox still looks pretty clean.

Here are the pics of inside and outside of the K&N filter.

Regards.,
Kiran.

Attachments

Looks good!

Any noticeable improvements in performance or fuel economy?
Any changes in noise?
How much did it cost you (If you don't mind)

Looks good!

Any noticeable improvements in performance or fuel economy?
Any changes in noise?
How much did it cost you (If you don't mind)
Hi Viru

Yea, its revs much better without suffocation. Considerable drag has reduced while lifting off foot from the gas pedal. Very much noticeable when the AC is switched ON. THere is a slight improvement in fuel economy. Before my average use to be around 13-14kmpl. Now it returns 15.5-17kmpl in the same driving condition.(NOTE: Its the same day I started using K&N, iridium plugs and synthetic engine oil, so the combination of these must be the reason for this much increase in FE and performances)

Yes, Its bit louder but definitely nothing much noticeable so as to inform the nearby people that a K&N is inside[lol].

Approx Rs.3500 (I dont mind[;)])

Hi Viru

Yea, its revs much better without suffocation. Considerable drag has reduced while lifting off foot from the gas pedal. Very much noticeable when the AC is switched ON. THere is a slight improvement in fuel economy. Before my average use to be around 13-14kmpl. Now it returns 15.5-17kmpl in the same driving condition.(NOTE: Its the same day I started using K&N, iridium plugs and synthetic engine oil, so the combination of these must be the reason for this much increase in FE and performances)

Yes, Its bit louder but definitely nothing much noticeable so as to inform the nearby people that a K&N is inside.

Approx Rs.3500 (I dont mind
Interesting! Too bad it's difficult to know exactly how much the air filter has helped on it's own.

Where did you find Iridium plugs? I've been looking and so far have only found standard ones!

Haha fair enough. [lol]

That's a pretty fair deal! [surprise]

Ya right :/

NGK Iridium DCPR7EIX this is the plug. I brought it from mangalore since no shops from kerala willing to give me three plugs instead of 4.
Yours too K10B engine right?

Yes, I also have a K10B under the hood. [:)]

Thanks, I will go spark plug hunting soon, although my plugs still have a long way to go before needing replacement.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Team,

I need a small clarification on continuing with the Type 4 K&N air-filter in Honda City I-vtec.

Reasons I am contemplating a change over to OEM air filter are:

1) Availability of cleaning kit.

2) Price of the cleaning kit is ok but kit lasts for only 2-3 washes.

3) Not much difference in performance.

4) It can't be air cleaned like other OEM Air-filters as the thin mesh on it may get torn.

5) Needs to be kept out-of-use for 1 whole day when cleaned.

6) The purchase cost is 10 times more than the price of normal air filters.

Based on the above factors, would it be better to switch back to purolator et al for air filter? The purolator air filter costs only INR 300-500. It can be replaced at every 10K kilometers without hesitation but as for the K&N the major drawback that I feel is the maintenance. Do let me know your views.

Regards

Akash

Any member who is using a Performance Air Filter,please throw some light on the pros and cons of such Filters?
I am interseted in K&N Air Filters for my Baleno Petrol.
Looking forward to the replies, it can help me in deciding.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Any member who is using a Performance Air Filter,please throw some light on the pros and cons of such Filters?
I am interseted in K&N Air Filters for my Baleno Petrol.
Looking forward to the replies, it can help me in deciding.
I have used the K&N Air Filter in my CITY IVtec for about 2 years i.e 2014-2016. Costed me around 5300/- without cleaning kit. Honestly, the performance just improves marginally as compared to standard air filters. I guess only 2-3% difference is there. Realizing that, I reverted back to normal filter and keeping it simple.

Photo0781.jpg

Photo0782.jpg

Photo0784.jpg

Regards

Akash

I have used the K&N Air Filter in my CITY IVtec for about 2 years i.e 2014-2016. Costed me around 5300/- without cleaning kit. Honestly, the performance just improves marginally as compared to standard air filters. I guess only 2-3% difference is there. Realizing that, I reverted back to normal filter and keeping it simple.

Regards

Akash
Thanks Akash,
2-3% will make a good difference to me[;)]
how about the mileage perspective, did it improve or was the same?

Top Bottom