High End Air Filters - Are They Really Worth It?

Hello jarpickle
I just got my new Figo 1.2 Petrol. So as of now its running on stock filter. As I said I am not a big fan of only air filter upgrade unless its proven to protect the engine more than the stock and have better free flowing capability. The factory warranty is the reason I am not focusing on the air intake/exhaust part.

Thread Starter #62
Well, the basic idea behind starting this thread is to help people gain some information regarding the actual benefits and disadvantages of using high end filters on a daily basis.

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs.

Thanks a lot man. This is all good stuff. Thats why we are here to learn/share.

On a side note, I am planning to get an Amsoil nanbofiber rectangular filter from US and retrofit it in my Figo. Lets see how it works out finally. The idea is to prevent as much as dust possible and at the same time providing better flow. The filtration part is important here and not the hp gain.

These type filters are proven for better filtration than oil types ( they have other side effects as argued by many ). I have used their cone type and was totally satisfied whenever I opened that for cleaning.

Thread Starter #64
Alright, why dont you get the cone type filter itself.

Wouldn't that make more sense than modifying the airbox for a rectangular filter.

Actually I don't want to modify my intake..all I am trying to do is modify the filter itself to fit in the existing stock position. While going for servicing I will just swap that with stock to avoid any nonsense talk with them :)

If done correctly it should not matter. But the question that you raised is valid.
For example, if I have the stock filter 10 X 12 and the after market one is 12 x 15 - I will have to cut the outer rubber/support portion to make it 10x12. Need some professional to do that to make it exact fit. The quality will be same as the filter material will be similar even after reducing the size by 5-10 %. The main question would be - is it worth doing all these ? Well, if all these works are not too much time consuming, then probably yes, its worth.

Well, practically I had K&N filter in my zen (now stolen)
And I strongly noticed change in acceleration power after fitting it in.
The car pulls very well in third and fourth after putting k&N.

See these filter does makes some HP increase if the engine is 800 cc or 1000cc.
But I have also seen (felt) that there is simply no change in HP if it is fitted in + 1200cc cars (like in Fabia/Swift) so its not worth spending in that case.

Well, practically I had K&N filter in my zen (now stolen)
And I strongly noticed change in acceleration power after fitting it in.
The car pulls very well in third and fourth after putting k&N.

See these filter does makes some HP increase if the engine is 800 cc or 1000cc.
But I have also seen (felt) that there is simply no change in HP if it is fitted in + 1200cc cars (like in Fabia/Swift) so its not worth spending in that case.
I have read in another automotive forum about different feelings/observations with after market ( K&N Filters ) filters. Most of them agreed that, low end seemed to be good but not the mid-high end acceleration. But again, was it really increased acceleration or just the added noise that it produced or was it our mind that desperately wanted to believe that it did increase the power[;)]

It also depends on the car type as you said and based on different programming on the ecu.

If you ask me - I would rather invest in quality engine oil and other lubricants, better spark plugs, better grounding of electrical parts etc than spending > 4000 for these filters. But if you dont have problems with Rs 4000, then go for it.[:)]

Thread Starter #71
Thanks for the information@ifti_sit.

An ecu tweak is needed to compensate for the increased air flow.

Not everyone is comfortable with reprogramming their ecu.

So it does not really make sense for a daily driver to use a high end filter, atleast not in a dusty environment like ours.

Thanks for the information@ifti_sit.

An ecu tweak is needed to compensate for the increased air flow.

Not everyone is comfortable with reprogramming their ecu.

So it does not really make sense for a daily driver to use a high end filter, atleast not in a dusty environment like ours.
+1 and period.[:D]

Thread Starter #73
Alright then.Keep us posted on the benefits of the nano fibre filter vs the stock paper filter.

Primary comparison would be the filtration.

Secondary comparison would be performance.

Keep this thread updated.

Thanks.

Factors we need to consider while choosing an Aftermarket air filter -

OEM filters (pleated paper element, Foam and other types) generally offer superior filtration with acceptable levels of air flow at normal operating conditions but may not support high air flow applications. OEMs filter elements have smaller effective pore size thus helping filter out larger size particles out of the intake system. Due to this OEM filters are often restrictive when you need a high flow air intake setup.

Aftermarket filters are usually based on cotton gauze type or the foam type. They support much higher air flow but may not be able to match the OEM filter for filtration. This is mainly because of the larger effective pore size of the filter element that allows larger particles to get through the system while maintaining higher air flow. eg- if you run your finger in the intake plumbing, you may find more dust/particles in a performance air filter setup as compared to the OEM air filter.

In many cases if not all, high flow performance air filters compromise filtration ability when compared to the OEM air filter. Not that this will do immediate damage but may effect the engine longevity a bit. Sometimes its worth it if you are looking at every last ounce of power from you race machine.

Last edited:
But again, was it really increased acceleration or just the added noise that it produced or was it our mind that desperately wanted to believe that it did increase the power
This is not the case my dear friend, I really 'feel' the difference.

4000 for these filters. But if you dont have problems with Rs 4000, then go for it.
I am already having it and its going good :P

Top Bottom