HID Xenons Headlamps: Discussions & Queries

thanks a lot naveen, very well explained. now i have atleast got a basic idea of xenons but another question, why are bright xenons illegal, like you said they attract cops?
There are few reasons.
Many go for HIDs above 6000k which are blue. This is not allowed. Anything below 6000k is safe, but even in some brands 6000k have bluish color.
4300k is the legal one which is white in color with a tinge of yellow
6000k pure white

HIDs in projectors are safe and wont attract cops if used properly. HID's used in normal headlights will certainly attract them. The reason being, in normal headlights, the lights get scattered which will blind oncoming traffic. In projectors, the light is projected onto a particular area. Safe for oncoming traffic.

I would recommend HID's in projector setup with 4300k and fog with 6000k HID.

Cheers.

hey great explanation Naveen , you have solved most of doubts about projectors and HID for cars but now i want somebody to explain for bikes??!!

Why is the Fazer an exception??

And one more doubt , my friend who is having a HH Hunk got a HID kit for Rs.1500 without B/W. The problem is it cuts-off automatically if we use it for more than 10 minutes and does not switch ON for another 10 mins. And then after that it works fine for another 10 minutes and again it cuts-off! Whats the issue with this?? The HID works in high beam!

And in cars does the HID work in both the high and low-beams??

Thread Starter #21
Fazer has dual head lamp , but one lamp is low beam(left) and one is for high beam(right)

Warrenty helps to get replace if any manufacture fault is there and obly branded good one gives them ,
though grey piece , branded but legal in other countries -sold in india dont have warrenty but are reliable.

For the sum of 1500 , i think it must be a chinese make and for the switch off reason fault may be in ballast unit , else in rectifier of bike else in battery.

If you dont get the bike checked , one by one will stop working. check and replace asap

Oh well okay , thanks for the info bro! Will check out this weekend!

And what about my other question , Does HID work in both the beams in cars as well as bikes??

Thread Starter #23

And what about my other question , Does HID work in both the beams in cars as well as bikes??
H4 bulbs are bi xenon , like in your car. It has both low and high beam .

For cars like the indigo/marina , fiesta etc where 2 headlamp doom are there in a one assy. they have different bulb . Hid are available in that bulb version.

Normally in the above case people go for hid in low beam and normal halogen in high beam.

ilango[speed thirst];31187 said:
Fazer has dual head lamp , but one lamp is low beam(left) and one is for high beam(right)
Its the stock setup. If you request at the time time of service, they'll make it dual connection, just like R15.

ilango[speed thirst];31221 said:
Yep i said about the stock . and for set up like the r15 one must change the holders too .
My friend has a Fazer. While giving it for for the first service service, we asked them to change to dual connection. Didn't check its holders before.:stupid:

BTW, how much a normal projector will cost? HID without projectors will blind others na?
And does Corolla Altis have an HID? I have read like that somewhere, but I dont see the projector in that.[confused]

Last edited:

As ilango mentioned, these cars have two separate bulbs. One for Low and other for high. For these, you will need two HID kits. 4 HID bulbs and 2 pairs of ballast. I would recommend to stick with HIDs on low and higher rating halos on high (white output). This best example would be the new corolla altis. It's got 4300k HIDs on low and normal halos on high.

Laura has HID projectors for Low and normal halos for high.
High end cars like Audi, BMW got projectors for both.

My car got a single projector setup which use a single HID bulb for low and high.

My friend has a Fazer. While giving it for for the first service service, we asked them to change to dual connection. Didn't check its holders before.

BTW, how much a normal projector will cost? HID without projectors will blind others na?
And does Corolla Altis have an HID? I have read like that somewhere, but I dont see the projector in that.
Projector cost vary for different cars. For eg, The twin eye projector setup for Swift (Old model) is around 9k without HIDs and the Single full CCFL projector setup (The one I have - new model) is around 13k.

HIDs without projectors will definitely blind oncoming traffic. So I wouldnt recommend this. The road visibility will be bad without projectors. Usually, HIDs without projectors are meant for show off.

Corolla Altis got a 4300k HIDs on low beam only. The high beam is normal halos. There is no projector setup for Altis.

Laura got projector for low and normal halos for high.

Hope this makes everything clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks for the explanation Naveen! Then what halogen would you guys recommend for high beams??
You can check out Philips with a rating of 100/90. This will require you to fit a relay too..
I had used Osram Cool Blue before.. There's a rumor that if you use higher rated bulbs, the headlight reflector gets burned. So try not to use this long time. I used this only for around 3 months.

But since this is for high beams and not used that often, i think you can go for these...

Top Bottom