HID Xenons Headlamps: Discussions & Queries

Yes the same In Pic... Just buy the bulb I suggested.
All the other bulbs do not have glare shields. also, One similar Looking bulb uses cree XML-2 LED chip which is a 10w, 900LM Chip. The bulb I suggested uses newer Cree XHP 50 chip, which is a 35w chip, upto 3000 Lumens.

Philips halogens are'nt even in the race. They are from british era. Should've been buried long ago. We are talkling atleast 3~4 generations gap.
Thank you, bhvm. One more thing, the bulb you have recommended has 2XHP50 Chip (Low Beam) and 2XML2 Chip (High Beam). Not all are XHP50.

There is this another bulb from same seller, it has some Luminled MZ chip. I dont see any gkare shield. Is it any good, since it is just Rs. 300 more than the above one.
http://s.aliexpress.com/3MNrYzQB

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thank you, bhvm. One more thing, the bulb you have recommended has 2XHP50 Chip (Low Beam) and 2XML2 Chip (High Beam). Not all are XHP50.

There is this another bulb from same seller, it has some Luminled MZ chip. I dont see any gkare shield. Is it any good, since it is just Rs. 300 more than the above one.
CNSUNNYLIGHT Led Car Headlight Kit w/ MZ Chips H4 H7 H8 H11 9005 HB3 9006 HB4 H13 9007 D1 5202 9012 H15 White 6000K Bulbs-in Headlight Bulbs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Your observation is correct. Low beam is XHP. High beam adds XML. So both LED are ON for high beam. Cree XHP is a large LED (4 Chip )known for width and spread. XML is a smaller LED (Single Die, Point source) Which is better at achieving the focus of LED beam at distance.
The suggestions I made are done with lots of background research.

This bulb When in Low beam will have 8 Chips working total per headlight. High beam will have 10.

I do not suggest any other bulb.
You have already understood why I did not suggest Philips MZ chip. (Lumilieds is a sister of Philips)

Your observation is correct. Low beam is XHP. High beam adds XML. So both LED are ON for high beam. Cree XHP is a large LED (4 Chip )known for width and spread. XML is a smaller LED (Single Die, Point source) Which is better at achieving the focus of LED beam at distance.
The suggestions I made are done with lots of background research.
I had an accident recently.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...neral-questions-discussion-13.html#post548304

I was on low beam when it happened. I was not able to make out that it was a truck stranded on the road until I got very close hence slimming my chances to avoid the accident.
I think a better lighting setup could have avoided this. I want very good light throw range in low and high beam both.
So very serious to get one of the following setups in my car asap.

1) CREE XHP50 LED Headlights - Cheap, Easy to install
2) Morimoto Projector setup in fog lights - Expensive, Easy to install
3) Morimoto projector setup in headlights. - Expensive, Need professional help to install

Which one is advisable? And how to source them?

I don't want to go for any half-hearted solution.

Hello all,
I have just installed 4300k 35w HIDs in the fog lights and noticed that in comparison to the 55w HIDs in the low beams, they are brighter. Having 6000k bulbs in low beam, they were not so useful in the currently prevailing rainy season and I didn't thought much of it untill I installed the fog lights and compared.
So I unplugged one bulb just to check and found a whitish tint developed on the glass around the globe.
Is it causing the dimness? Should I replace the bulbs? Please suggest.

Attachments

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
The white tint looks like Heat/ UV damage. Perhaps due to 55w Ballast.
The 4300k Is brightest HID bulb, with an Output of 3200 Lumens, 6000k is 2800 Lumens and 8000k is just 1800 Lumens. Of course it will be even lower for unbranded bulbs.

BTW, your fog bulbs look whiter than headlight bulbs, which are looking not just dimmer but also greenish-Yellowish. The fogs have a very good beam pattern.

Last edited:
The headlight bulbs are of P8 brand purchased 2yrs ago. I was in the assumption that P8 is a good brand, if not in the league of Philips/Osram/Sylvania.
Yes they have become greenish. Gotta change them.
And the fog bulbs are generic AliExpress ones.
Plus the headlight projectors have fresnel lenses and the fog one are clear type.

Thanks again

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
I don't think brand will have any effect. The law of diminishing returns works everywhere. So 55W bulb power sees a very sharp drop in life compared to growth in Intensity. So 2 years was a good Life I must say.

My thunderbolt's 35w HID are 4 years+ Now. Still working like new. My assumption is they shall work 7+ Years. BTW those are Uglare Projector fogs Right? Very tempting buy. Were they easy to install?

Actually I was inspired from your work on the Thunderbolt to change my halogens.
Yes, the Uglare projectors installation was a piece of cake. I just had to remove the old fog lamps and fit the projectors in the same screw holes. However, I had to break 2 tabs on each fog cowls which were there to place the old lamps in their place and were hindering the placement of the projectors.

One observation on the installed projector with hids. The beam pattern is more like a low beam one rather than fog light beam which should have less throw and more spread. These projectors can throw the light to a good distance thus assisting the low beams but there is really low spread, even lesser than the low beams. So not suitable to use as fog lamps but great if one wants low beam assist.
Haven't connected the solenoids yet so can't comment on the high beam pattern.

Hi bhvm, others,

I feel the stock headlight of Tiago is not enough even for city driving in Bangalore (all street lamps off). Considering that my knowledge is very poor in headlight section and I don't want to void the warranty, can you suggest me a good upgrade. I am considering 2units of this as an option-
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B010VNEH86/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AT95IG9ONZD7S
My assumptions-
- Wattage is similar so won't cause any issues.
- White+Yellow light is better
- Not sure if its for high beam, low beam or both?

Any other better option?

bhvm

Honoured Member
Does the Tiago use H4 Bulb setup? If so yes this will work and its both High/low in One bulb.
Please note that the upgrade with this bulb is very mild and may leave you wanting more.

Does the Tiago use H4 Bulb setup? If so yes this will work and its both High/low in One bulb.
Please note that the upgrade with this bulb is very mild and may leave you wanting more.
I think yes it uses H4 bulb but have to check the manual (not 100% sure as I have poor knowledge especially in the light section, never replaced in our i10).
Yes if it feels me wanting more, I would rather buy a better headlight set.
Please suggest one which would really be a good buy which doesn't void the warranty (I have 4yrs with extended warranty) and would not be heavy on the battery as well.

Top Bottom