Help To Solve Low Idling Issue on Hyundai i20 Elite (2015)

Thread Starter #1
Dear All,

Am facing a peculiar issue as my idle RPM is low and sometimes below 700 once the engine heats up and reaches the optimal temperature.This also causes vibrations which can be felt inside the car on seat and doors also. This problem causes a lot of inconvenience specially while driving on inclines and bumper to bumper traffic when the engine stalls . The local servicr center says that they do not have access to make any changes to the idle or target rpm. So far I have taken below steps from the service center Kanchana hyundai Padil Mangalore. I do not want to do anything that voids warranty as I have purchased extended warranty. NOTE : There is no physical screw to change rpm.

- ran obd at service center - no fault codes found . They are unable to make changes in idle rpm .
- cleaned throttle body/ changed air filter / changed engine oil.
- checked spark plugs and other checks by service center.

The target rpm shows 700 In the obd whereas when I checked with other i20 users the rpm is around 800 to 850 which runs smoith.when I contacted hyundai call center they only say to get in touch with the local service center . Please help.

Last edited:
Re: Help to Solve Low idling Issue on hyundai i20 Elite 2015 - Mangalore

Is it happens when the ac switched on? It can be because of the faulty IAC valve.

You could try cleaning this.

Regards.,

Thread Starter #3

Hi Kichu,

Thank you for your reply. It happens with out without a.c. switched on. Also I have checked the IAC value while servicing still the issue persists

CRDI or VTVT ? your ODO reading ?

There are many reasons why this is happening it might be due to failing O2 sensor or may issue with valve train or vacuum/air leak or many other.

Last edited:

Hi Nikhil,
If this happen only sometimes during engine startup this may be fine, because the oxygen sensor taken sometimes to learn the air fuel ratio while it heats up or reaches the optimal operating temperature, I have faced this issue with my i10 1.2 kappa 2009 couple of times. If it happens after engine warm up, then there must be some concern. Next time if this happens can you just open the gas cap and press the inlet gate valve and notice if there is any change in rpm. Also I would recommend to buy a obd scanner which helps in diagnostic by giving the fuel trim number.

Thread Starter #6
@Krishna it's a petrol vtvt and odo reading is 20150 had run a diagnostic and it didt show any errors or leakage please correct me here if am wrong.

@ Manoj the issue is not sometimes but always and is not during engine startup as the rpm is around 800 correct during a cold start . the drop in the idle rpm happens once the engine is on it's proper heated stage could u plz advise me as to where the location of both gas cap and inlet gate valve is so that I can run the test u advised.

Open the petrol filler cap,and press the tin plate with finger this is just to check, if the purge valve is leaking( if purge valve fails problem is more prominent when the car is loaded AC is on and the outside temperature is hot). This type of issue can happen due to many reasons and very hard to diagnosis. Next time if you obd scan your car note down the fuel trim numbers , map sensor reading with and without AC at idle, this will give more insight.

@Krishna it's a petrol vtvt and odo reading is 20150 had run a diagnostic and it didt show any errors or leakage please correct me here if am wrong.
Most of time minute leaks or small issues will not come up in diagnostics as they wont damage engine.
Like @manoj said please check OBD readings with your and other car under same conditions. This might give you some insight and narrowing down on issue.

Thread Starter #10
Dear All,

Got all the parameters checked sensors,leakages etc also OBD settings. I was told that 700rpm is a normal idling speed(which was confirmed in OBD) and is the normally set in all i20 elite cars and i am too sensitive to the vibrations that i feel inside the car. Also no changes can be made to my ECU since it will be against the norms set for fuel consumption will be higher which goes against the policy of the mileage settings given in India. Can anything be done now if i write to hyundai they redirect the same to Local Dealer.

Hi Nikhil,
I also feel 700 rpm is OK, I get the same reading in my car switching on the AC increases rpm by another ~100. Do you see increases in rpm once the AC is switched on?

Hi Nikhil,
Point this out to the service centre guys I feel your ISC motor has gone bad or worst case worst wiring or ecm problem. But your idle rpm should adjust automatically sensing more load, when you switch on the light or AC.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Hi Manoj,

I had already pointed this out to the service center guys but they say that all of this is normal and is same in all i20 elite cars also they do not have any equipment or adjustments to make changes in the ECU settings as this is a standard Hyundai policy coming from the company. They claim to say that i am too sensitive to the vibrations when on idle and none of the other owners have complaint/s about this !! There is no use contacting the main Hyundai customer care and emails as they redirect me back to Dealership/Service center. Is there any alternative since i do no want to remap or touch my ECU as this is void my ext warranty and cause premature engine wear and tear.

Hi Nikhil,
Did you yourself checked that switching on the AC did not have any effect on rpm on others i20 elite too ...since I have a serious doubt on that.. Can you confirm this from other service center too . Do you feel the same vibrations when you switch off the AC. I would recommend you visit some other service center and get an opinion. There is no other way to change the RPM.

Top Bottom