• Himalayan ABS

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Thunderbird 350 ABS (yet to come)

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

I want to book my first bike (& last) in next 1-3 months.

About me :

I am basically a four wheeler. ( Punto 1.3 in past & Rapid 1.6 at present).

Use for daily commuting ( 20 km/day), given the Mahindra Flyte 125 to my wife for her daily use.

I am 6 ft and 44 years old. weight 75 Kgs. Never drove bike. But now leaned a bit from my colleagues.

Purpose:

No real use. Just old colleague life passion which only now I have fulfill.

Maybe some day will take to office (18 KM) to avoid terrific traffic jam in Bangalore.

And may be next year (by then IF I really feel confident about my skill on bike riding) then will go to Himalaya with one my colleague (56 years old).

Want a pure Retro style Cruiser. Any sport type bike NO NO for me. Do not need huge power/speed.

Bauget : Max 2 .4 L Onroad.

Will invest on good safety gears, accessories for another 50 K.

Options selected after burning a lot of night lamp oil :

1: Classic 350 ABS Signals
2: Thunderbird 350 (with dual ABS) - Yet to arrive
3: Classic 350 Redditch Red (with dual ABS) - Yet to arrive
4: Himalayan BS4 ABS
4: Avenger 400 - AMBA Bajaj told me it is coming on November but in some portal found not coming before 2020. So not an option now.
4: Honda Rebel 300 - donot know when it will come, only 11 L tank, will be out of my bauget.

Very short TD experience :

1: Classic 350 (with F- Disk, R-Drum) - Felt comfortable and manageable by me.
2:Thunderbird 350 - Felt very comfortable but not manageable by me. Need huge practice. Doubt if I can take it to himalaya with heavy machine??
3: Himalayan BS4 ABS : No vibration at all. Very comfortable. Gear shifting very easy for me and gear indicator very helpful for me. But due it's huge size even looking also I get scared and if and disbalance /accident happen I cannot control it. Having same doubt for TB 350 also.

Options now :

1: Thunderbird 350 with dual ABS
2: Classic 350 with dual ABS

Questions:

1: What are the maintenance cost and issues for both in 2018.
2: Will be Ground Clearance an issue in bad roads, himalaya/ladakh ?
3: Which one easy to handle, manage in low speed?

Thanks in advance.

Just answer below question.
- are you a real enthusiast? [you go as you plan]
- are you a tall guy? [5.9 & above]
- any healthy guy? [with no lumber/back problem]

Then my suggestion is to go with RE Himalayan else forget it.
If you are really looking for a city/highway cruiser then Bajaj Dominar 400 or Benelli TNT 300 is a better option. Dominar 400 is far better is rough road with its good suspension and good sitting position. RE Classic 350/500 or Bullet cannot be good option for rough roads like Leh & Laddhak, although people had a craze to take it for adventure. RE Thunderbird can be better option, but with lack of ABS it is quite dangerous to take it for adventure.

If you want a proper adventure bike then ABS and TCS is a minimum requirement.
Just to have some retro style bike check out UM motorcycles.
Think before you buy a one for you. As you are not a regular bike commuter.

Thread Starter #3
Just answer below question.
- are you a real enthusiast? [you go as you plan]
- are you a tall guy? [5.9 & above]
- any healthy guy? [with no lumber/back problem]

T
Thanks ., but I already answered these:

I am 6 ft, Only health issue for riding : cannot see in one eye. enthusiast? May be.

I donot want any of the bikes you just mentions for the reasons I already mentions.

We have just added a BS4 Himalayan in our garage and can say that it is a great bike. It is used on daily errands too (Long story short, my known went to get an activa and picked up a Himalayan instead). It is pretty smooth (not vibe free, come on it is a RE not a Triumph). Ride is sublime. It is a little tall but as you mentioned your height, it should not be an issue. It has ABS now so that has it covered on safety. I think it looks amazing but that is a subjective topic.

I would suggest you to pick up a Himalayan over the rest. Yes, you have your apprehensions due to its weight, but the more you ride it, you'll get accustomed to it and it woould not be an issue then.

Budget : Max 2 .4 L Onroad.
1: Classic 350 ABS Signals
4: Himalayan BS4 ABS

Options now :
1: Thunderbird 350 with dual ABS
2: Classic 350 with dual ABS

Questions:
1: What are the maintenance cost and issues for both in 2018.
2: Will be Ground Clearance an issue in bad roads, himalaya/ladakh ?
3: Which one easy to handle, manage in low speed?

Classic 350 ABS signals will be the better option but if it is going to be mostly highway drives during the weekends and little usage in the city then go in for the Classic 500 as the 350 does feel a bit out of its breath after 95 Kmph and it starts to struggle. Still 350 is capable of hitting/cruise in 100 Kmph but Classic 500 will be a better option than the 350. Thunderbird 350 will be comfortable for rider but not comfortable for the pillion as the pillion seat is small or short.

These RE bikes are maneuverable in city irrespective of its weight, its weight is noticeable only during parking speeds/when using centre stand or side stand. So all RE Bikes are easy to handle and manage in low speeds. When you are standstill in a traffic signal the weight is not noticeable.

The Ground Clearance for RE bikes are quite sufficient and can cross big speed breakers without scrapping the bike and driving in himalaya/ladakh, if driven carefully your bike won't scrap.

If RE then my choice would be
1. Himalayan (Quite difficult to ride for traffic conditions, but blissful in open roads just like Punto)
2. Thunderbird X. (500 is preferrable)
3. Why not a Bullet Std 500 CC !? Comfortable seating and that's a real bullet.
If 350cc is sufficient
4. A silver coloured electra brake itself is quite a looker for my eyes.

I wouldn't buy a classic as it has become so common and have started to look boring. Almost every license holder has started to own a classic nowadays. That charm is lost.

Last edited:

Top Bottom