Help: Planning To Buy My First Car (Second Hand)

Thread Starter #1
hi,

I am planning to buy my first car(second hand) within a budget of Rs 2lacs. It will be driven for less than 1000km a month mostly in the city, so im looking at petrol hatchbacks. ihave shortlised an alto LXI 2009 ( rs170000, 35000km) a spark LS 2008 (rs 155000 60000km) and a santr0-2007(65000km, 160000) and another alto LXI 2007(70000kms 125000).. which one of these would be the best alternative considering i require mostly hassle free motoring for 2-3 years. I would also like to know what's the best way to find out if the odometer's been tampered with since there cars are being sold to me by local dealers.

thanks

Re: help plannin to buy my first car

1. Test drive all the vehicles before deciding anything with numbers.
2. Check for the service history of all vehicles. Service history can throw you lights on how the vehicle is maintained and a fair idea of if odo is tampered.

Alto and Santro are good vehicles and easy to maintain. All the best for your search.

If everything ok, you can go for 2009 Alto,

before that take your known Mechanic and inspect thoroughly.

inspect the tires since you mentioned clocked only 35000 Km's, it must be only on first set of tyres you can judge the reliability of Km's by way of tyres worn out.

I would also suggest the Alto LXI 2009. The others seem to have done twice/thrice the kms of the Alto. Spark is also good but overpriced for the given kms.

There is no straight forward way to judge if the km meter has been tampered. However the following things you can do:
1) Check the service record and see if it has been periodically serviced. You would get kms recorded against each service and any discrepency would show up
2) Check the records to see the ownership details. If it has changed hands before
3) 35000 km mean you should be looking at a tyre with little tread left (considering they have not been changed)

You might have to change the battery... very few OEM batteries last more than 3 years
Look for rust near the door drain holes.
And get the mechanic check up the engine and suspension.
However overall I see the risks to be lower as Alto is a economic car to ride and maintain and very little goes wrong that cannot be fixed.

Thread Starter #5

thanks for the prompt replies ....I would like to add another thing. I am currently in panipat haryana. i will probably be transferred by my company to delhi office after 6 months. I want to be able to register this car in delhi to make it easier for me to sell it there after 3-4 years. will i be able to register it in delhi or should i opt for a 2010 model alto since it is bs4 compliant and ive heard only BS4 cars can be registered in delhi..

Last edited:

I would also suggest you to take a TD of Nano, you can never be sure about second hand car's, since you are planning to keep for the next 2-3 year's i would suggest you to look for a brand new car.

I would also suggest you to take a TD of Nano, you can never be sure about second hand car's, since you are planning to keep for the next 2-3 year's i would suggest you to look for a brand new car.
+100 for visran suggestions. Yes I would suggest you to look at the new one either it is a Nano or the 800cc Alto. I feel you will get very good discounts on petrol cars these days and you will be hassle free for atleast 4 to 5 years with these cars[:)]

+100 for visran suggestions. Yes I would suggest you to look at the new one either it is a Nano or the 800cc Alto. I feel you will get very good discounts on petrol cars these days and you will be hassle free for atleast 4 to 5 years with these cars[:)]
I agree, with the budget you have in mind, better look for a new Tata Nano rather than for a used car. Alternatively, if you know someone personally who is wanting to sell their car which matches your budget then maybe you can consider the option. Otherwise nothing like the pleasure of driving a brand new car plus it has warantee along with it.

Top Bottom