Help on buying an used car

if you have Auto Terrace try to visit them and look out for OHC, which i believe they would be having quite few of those, i would suggest you to stay away from that baleno you shared with us, rather look out for OHC,Lancer which would be available pretty within your budget and in good conditions.AT are usually doing their business with Honda's and Hyundai's over here, dont know about other cities.

Thread Starter #17
Today after visiting some dealers, including two true value dealers, i came across this 2005(2006 feb registered) Baleno Lxi in an independent dealer. It has clocked 18,700kms. The body is clean. It was much better to drive than the car i drove yesterday. Pick-up was amazing and it was more driveable too. The asking price is 3,25,000 and now they have come to a final price of 3,10,000rs. Accessories include Pioneer 3550mp mp3 player and boston ovals at the rear. The front speaker was inside the door, so don't know anything about it. The insurance is valid till april of next year with a value of 3,25,000.

@renegade, On one true value, i found this 2002 Baleno 82000km black color. The price was rs.3,00,000.

@vijay, I dropped that Baleno now.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Hey CC,
This one sounds much better than previous baleno!
Have you got any pics of this one?

As I said you earlier, Before Reaching to any decsion, Inspect the car thoroughly.

Also, The price he has asked is on quite high side, Negotiate, Negotiate, Negotiate!! Try to finalise the deal to atleast 2.7 lacs if the car is perfectly fine and you liked it.

Can you provide more info on it such as colour etc?

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #19
The color is silver. I'll add the pics shortly in this post.
----------Next Post------------
Here are the pics of the car. I don't think they would reduce to that extent. Because, wherever i went i found no cars less than 3 lacs. And all of them had clocked much more. One dealer where they didn't have any car, said some details about the last Baleno they sold. I found a 2005 Zen(48k kms) with no PS for sale with asking price of 2,50,000rs. So i think value of cars here are more than the value of cars in north.

PS: But still my nothing's been finalised. My dad is negotiating.

Attachments

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
The car seems to be in a good condition but the price is really high for it.
CC, I was just searching on Maruti True Value & First Choice site for a used Baleno in Coimbatore but I don't think they have got any in their list.

By the way, Why don't you consider a brand new Accent which is still in production instead of a used Baleno(that too a discontinued one)?
You can get a good deal on a new accent because my neighbour also bought one and modified it.

I'll post or PM some pics to you if possible.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #21
Accent is almost dead now. I've to spend another couple of lacs for a new Accent.
Regarding price, like i said before, this is the price that is prevailing in the market. The same dealer had another Baleno 2006 and has clocked 62k kms and the asking price is 3,75,000rs, VXI.

350Z

Core Team
Crazy Cat said:
Accent is almost dead now. I've to spend another couple of lacs for a new Accent
Almost but not completely like the Baleno.
You can get an accent for around 4lacs,But Not sure about south.

Anyways CC, Tomorrow is a holiday so you can check more dealerships.
Also, Try to do a li'l bit of search on net and newspapers.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #24
@350Z, I'm not interested in Accent. But if i get a good one, i'll definitely consider it.

@renegade, From an independent dealer, they work on commission basis. The name is SS cars.

350Z

Core Team
Actually there are many possibilities, So one can not judge how the car actually is without checking it out in flesh.
Some cars live their whole life in few KMS and their owners offer them for sale after some waxing and polishing job to get them back to decent condition!

The owner might also have fiddled with Speedo and all, Again as I said there are many possibilities.

I'll try to put up a list of what all one should check before buying a used car, I'm sure that will prove to be helpful for usedcar buyers.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Thread Starter #26
I checked the car in flesh vibhor.

I've heard that if the meter has been reseted, then the speedo needle will shake and also the numbers on ODO won't be in a proper straight line.

350Z

Core Team
Crazy Cat said:
I checked the car in flesh vibhor.
Hey, I wasn't talking about you.
I know that you have checked the car in real. [lol!]

I was saying that we(others) cannot judge how the car actually is without check it out in real.
You will only need to check those minor yet important things yourself Or take a good reputed mechanic with you if you have any doubts.

Drive Safe!
350Z

A baleno and has clocked only 18k.Doesn't it sound a bit fishy ? The odo readings must have been fiddled may be not.Again the price is also high,may be there its normal.
Just don't be in a hurry ok. Look for more cars in market & do some more research.

A baleno and has clocked only 18k.Doesn't it sound a bit fishy ? The odo readings must have been fiddled may be not.Again the price is also high,may be there its normal.
Just don't be in a hurry ok. Look for more cars in market & do some more research.
It may not necessarily be fishy.It may be a 2nd car for the user which he/she sparingly used.we had a 2002 Omni that did only 22000 km in 6 yrs before selling it.

Thread Starter #30
The tyres are OEM ones. Suppose, if they are not used(the car ran with different tyres), then they will be hard(as i experienced from old Esteem).

The price in Chennai is also more or less the same. Usually Coimbatore cars carry a premium.

Top Bottom