Help Needed With Car Audio System

Thanks guys! I'm not really sure how I didn't receive the email notification after a while (?!). So, I went ahead with the setup but for the front compos I zeroed in on 'Hertz HSK 165" which is selling for 13K in Snapdeal after reading a lot of good reviews about how they are better than Focal's poly-glass and the silk/neodymium tweeter vs Focal's aluminium tweeter.

I had a big relive after checking the authentication of the product as I was afraid if I was going to receive a fake product.

So, now I've the Hertz Hi-energy HSK 165 in the front. The thing is I'm not really sure how to determined whether an audio installation is good or not. I came across a few installers in Chennai. Can anybody tell me where I can go for a GOOD audio installation in Chennai? Also, due to the recent flood, it looks like all the service centers, body-shop are filled with vehicles and nobody is free :(

I cannot just wait to feel them!

After reading through the posts, it looks like rear coaxial may or may not be required. I'll check them during the installation. Also, do you think the Sony amp can power up the Hertz HSK 165 speakers which is a 125w RMS speaker? Thanks again!
Nice decision, I also have the same set of components. You will be pleased with the smooth sound signature of these, which means you can use them or hear them for longer durations without much problems.

The amplifier will power them, no doubt. Just that either they will not be powered adequately (if max power of amp < max comp power) or your amplifier will have to run at slightly higher power to make 125w conitnuously for the components.

For rear coaxials, before closing the doorpads (putting them back), audition only the front components and rear subwoofer at each seat one-by-one. If you feel bass overpowering at the rear bench or poor vocals at the back, get rear coaxials. Only your ears can decide if you need coaxials or not.

What amp are you running your compos with? Do you have rear coaxial too?
I am using JBL GTO1004, which is a class AB amplifier with 100w per channel, 2 for comps 2 for coaxials.

And I have coaxials also, but round coaxials as my previous oval ones sounded too loud for the rear passengers. Currently have Hertz ECX165.5 acting as rear fills.

Thread Starter #34
Wow. That sounds a lot of power for the price. May be I should change my future upgradation plan from JBL GTO 804EZ (80RMS at 4 ohms) to JBL GTO1004 (100RMS at 4 ohms).

How do you like it so far and do you like some other compos over HSK 165 that you are thinking about upgrading them too? (tricky question lol)

Also, what's a AB amplifier? I don't seem to understand most of the terms used in Audio systems. Thanks!

Wow. That sounds a lot of power for the price. May be I should change my future upgradation plan from JBL GTO 804EZ (80RMS at 4 ohms) to JBL GTO1004 (100RMS at 4 ohms).

How do you like it so far and do you like some other compos over HSK 165 that you are thinking about upgrading them too? (tricky question lol)

Also, what's a AB amplifier? I don't seem to understand most of the terms used in Audio systems. Thanks!
Class AB and D have different internal circuitry. Basically, Class D ones are smoother operating and are preferred for bridged use; i.e. as monos for running subwoofers. They have much higher levels of distortion and don't work well in producing higher frequencies (or vocals). OTOH Class AB amplifiers sound better and are preferred for speakers (or vocal instruments) as they have lesser distortion. So, AB are better for single channel application. [:)]

GTO 804EZ and GTO1004, both are good amplifiers. 1004 is a bit old and dated technology but outshines in terms of continuous power. GTO804EZ also has all modern features and is compact, newer. Pick the one you think is better. And yes, one thing I would like to mention is that my class AB amplifier (giving 350-400w RMS) heats up faster than Class D Pioneer (giving close to 500w RMS)

Regarding Hertz HSK165, I had choice between Infinity, Hertz and Rainbow. Rainbows were a bit too sweet (but pleasing) and Infinity ones were too loud (not comfortable). Hertz were well balanced, plus I had some brand biasness aa well, so picked these! And I am satisfied.

Thread Starter #36
Thanks guys for all your valuable inputs.

I got my audio setup done in a 100% professional way I can assure you which costed me 16k which I never expected [lol]..Now, I know why I was the only one with a mid range sedan while there were only Benz, BMW and Ferrari in the workshop.

As for the performance of the overall setup, they are good and they don't break even at higher volumes. But it looks like I expected so much from these compos that it didn't meet my expectations. I haven't heard any good sounding system in a car before. So that could also be the reason of my over expectation. I expected a super clarity where I am only 70% satisfied. As for the bass, thats way too much than I need. The heart is pumping. I hope I'll start liking it the more I listening to it and with adjusting the EQ to get the drsired output.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your valuable inputs.

I got my audio setup done in a 100% professional way I can assure you which costed me 16k which I never expected [lol]..Now, I know why I was the only one with a mid range sedan while there were only Benz, BMW and Ferrari in the workshop.

As for the performance of the overall setup, they are good and they don't break even at higher volumes. But it looks like I expected so much from these compos that it didn't meet my expectations. I haven't heard any good sounding system in a car before. So that could also be the reason of my over expectation. I expected a super clarity where I am only 70% satisfied. As for the bass, thats way too much than I need. The heart is pumping. I hope I'll start liking it the more I listening to it and with adjusting the EQ to get the drsired output.

Thanks again!
Nice. As you are saying that the install was professional, they might have tuned the amplifier also. Tweak the HU settings from time to time, and allow your speakers to bed in (just like we do with car engines) and do not push them to their max.. Why do you feel that the comps lack in clarity? Do you hear any noise? Distortion? Or lack of enough vocals?

Do share a cost break up of all that went in the car.

Thread Starter #38
They don't distort at all. It's just not that I expected. May be it's a personal liking and could change over time. I was thrilled by the rear infinity reference speakers when they played. And when they moved to the front, it sounded dump. OMG I felt like I was cheated. But when they connected the tweeters, the sound changed completely. How can a pair of small tweeters adds such a quality? Now the infinity started sounding dump and it's Hertz all the way. Of course I should not compare a 13k compos with a 2k coaxial.

As for the installation, during the appointment itself the manager told me service charge alone will cost 3.8K. Other than that he said thet required 15metres of wires for the complete installation (no cutting). They fit the tweeters in the factory location which required a cutting job. They fit the Amp in the trunk on the side with a custom wood matching the color of carpet(?). The reinstall the head unti by altering the clamp. This is one of the stupidest thing I did in the past. The guy who installed the head unti before made it sticking out. He said it couldn't go any far inside. Now, it's completely inside and I am happy about it. They used large size baffles on all my four doors.

So,
Labour = 3800
Wire = 15 meter (458rs/meter) = 6800 approx
Baffles = 900

I need to see the bill again and will update you :-)

Thanks,

They don't distort at all. It's just not that I expected. May be it's a personal liking and could change over time. I was thrilled by the rear infinity reference speakers when they played. And when they moved to the front, it sounded dump. OMG I felt like I was cheated. But when they connected the tweeters, the sound changed completely. How can a pair of small tweeters adds such a quality? Now the infinity started sounding dump and it's Hertz all the way. Of course I should not compare a 13k compos with a 2k coaxial.

As for the installation, during the appointment itself the manager told me service charge alone will cost 3.8K. Other than that he said thet required 15metres of wires for the complete installation (no cutting). They fit the tweeters in the factory location which required a cutting job. They fit the Amp in the trunk on the side with a custom wood matching the color of carpet(?). The reinstall the head unti by altering the clamp. This is one of the stupidest thing I did in the past. The guy who installed the head unti before made it sticking out. He said it couldn't go any far inside. Now, it's completely inside and I am happy about it. They used large size baffles on all my four doors.

So,
Labour = 3800
Wire = 15 meter (458rs/meter) = 6800 approx
Baffles = 900

I need to see the bill again and will update you :-)

Thanks,
Was this 15m wire used only for speakers? Which brand was this wire? I think 6.8k is too much, even 15m is too much.

They would have covered MDF wooden plank with carpet to match it with the boot carpet. It is done in 90% of the installs.

EDIT - Tweeters can make a world of difference in the sound quality. When we add tweeters, we do not simply add 2 more speakers, instead we add seperate drivers to take care of the hi frequency vocals and the woofer cone plays only mid and low frequencies. In a crossover, these frequencies are further seperated so that each driver plays what it is supposed to. In a coaxial speaker, every thing is mixed upto in one driver and thus clarity is lost.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #40
I am not sure of the wires they used. But they said it's of high quality that these use in all vehicles. I also shocked after hearing 15meter. 15 meter you mean 10*my height? But we cannot ask them to measure in front of us. I didn't ask much even though I felt that that's way more than what I could afford at that time. So, for connecting a woofer, an amp, 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and headunit won't they require 15m?

As for the speakers, they are just like AR Rahman's songs. The more you listen to them the more you start liking them. They are a brillinat paire of compos, now I should say.

The clarity is awesome and they are not felt that much in the rear. So, may be I should get a coumple of compos when I upgrade my vehicle in the future.

One thing I wish could have been is I felt the tweeters to be bright to my ears. It looks like it's almost the case of 99% compos. But I am not bothered about it.

Thanks!!

I am not sure of the wires they used. But they said it's of high quality that these use in all vehicles. I also shocked after hearing 15meter. 15 meter you mean 10*my height? But we cannot ask them to measure in front of us. I didn't ask much even though I felt that that's way more than what I could afford at that time. So, for connecting a woofer, an amp, 4 speakers, 2 tweeters and headunit won't they require 15m?

As for the speakers, they are just like AR Rahman's songs. The more you listen to them the more you start liking them. They are a brillinat paire of compos, now I should say.

The clarity is awesome and they are not felt that much in the rear. So, may be I should get a coumple of compos when I upgrade my vehicle in the future.

One thing I wish could have been is I felt the tweeters to be bright to my ears. It looks like it's almost the case of 99% compos. But I am not bothered about it.

Thanks!!
Some shops usually do these things for unsuspecting customers to make some extra buck. I think your car's length is 4.5m. Total wire used for front speakers and tweeters (2m), rear speakers (3m), subwoofer (0.5m), amplifier (4m) and HU (2m max) should be around 12m. And speaker wires, subwoofer wires and HU wires should be cheaper than RCAs and Amplifier wires, and cost substantially less. Wiring for tweeters would be included with components. But what is done is now done, forget about it.

Speakers will sound better as they bed in. They are more for quick bass and lots of vocals, and not for songs (songs with good vocals, instruments) with long continuous basslines or muffled vocals (raps). For the price, they are very good as 15k components are low-mind range ones, excellent ones cost much more! If you will hear 5k JBL components and these, then you will realise how they handle sounds much better (as compared to price paid for each).

I had said that sound will be a bit dull at the back seat in Page 2 also. If you don't travel much sitting at the backseat, then it shouldn't be a problem. You can upgrade later on, that is the magic of ICE! [evil]

No, you can tune the tweeters. If possible, open the doorpad and adjust settings on crossover to 0 or -2 dB for lesser sharp sounds. Or you can lower down the treble on the HU, or lower down the HPF settings (and turn OFF treble boost) on the amplifier. This would solve the problem.

Thread Starter #42
Thanks. I just love these paires that I just want to sit in my car listening to them.

They are not that bright and harsh on ears. So, I am happy. The biggest improvement is I cannot go past the 15mark volume in the HU. They are super crisp and loud at that level. How long should I wait before they bend in?

I belive I should have gone with factory update for a 5k range before choosing this. That's the only way I could have realized their potential. I was skeptical between Hertz HSK 165 and Focal PS 165 as there were only 1k price diff. I just want to listen to the focals pairs as well :p

Thanks. I just love these paires that I just want to sit in my car listening to them.

They are not that bright and harsh on ears. So, I am happy. The biggest improvement is I cannot go past the 15mark volume in the HU. They are super crisp and loud at that level. How long should I wait before they bend in?

I belive I should have gone with factory update for a 5k range before choosing this. That's the only way I could have realized their potential. I was skeptical between Hertz HSK 165 and Focal PS 165 as there were only 1k price diff. I just want to listen to the focals pairs as well :p
As per my experience, listen to them for at least 50 hours before making any final verdict and after 70-80 hours, you will need to retune them as per your experience till then.

And I would say don't listen to the Focals. [lol] If you don't like them, you will definitely be happy for your choice but if you like them more than Hertz, you will start having an urge to change to them. So this field is very tempting and risky to the pocket, I hope you understand. Be prepared for the best as well as worst when you audition those speakers.

Thread Starter #44
As per my experience, listen to them for at least 50 hours before making any final verdict and after 70-80 hours
Does that mean they experience will improve or become the opposite? [surprise]

if you like them more than Hertz, you will start having an urge to change to them
Haha that's correct. I never thought a moderate setup like mine would cost me 50K [surprise]. How much a really hi-fi system costs in a car? As you know a lot more than me, can you list out a compos and amps etc that's considered as one of the costly setups?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Does that mean they experience will improve or become the opposite? [surprise]

Haha that's correct. I never thought a moderate setup like mine would cost me 50K [surprise]. How much a really hi-fi system costs in a car? As you know a lot more than me, can you list out a compos and amps etc that's considered as one of the costly setups?

Thanks!
Experience generally improves. If you like it now, you will love it later. Vocals will fade off slightly (laid back sound) and bass response (timing) will improve.

System can cost as low as 7k and as high as 10 Lac (which I have read, can go higher also depending on car and ICE components). I have auditioned systems upto 1.5 Lac. On YouTube, you can find a WagonR video which has 10 Lac rupee setup. But those cars are for show-off and not daily use. For daily use, systems upto 1.3-1.5 Lac are more than enough.

Mosconi Gladen, Flux, Dynaudio, Micro Precision, Audison are some of the expensive brands. But all depends on the number of amps, speakers, subs, etc. in a car. The WagonR I was talking about had Rockford Fosgate setup (5 amps, 6 set of comps, 3 midbass, 2 subs, capacitors, distribution blocks, IIRC).

Top Bottom