Help Needed With Car Audio System

Thanks @Saroya

I'm actually getting components for the front doors and coaxial on the rear doors as most people suggest.

Can you please say something about the followings?
1. Some people say that components can give you headache and so much of distraction. So, it's better to go with coaxial on the front too. Is that true?
There is nothing like that, in fact Compos are always better than co-axial no matter what.

2. What is a separator? I noticed some people are talking about a separator in their audio setup posts. Something like a high-low separator. Is that mandatory to enhance the audio output?

Thanks so much!
What crap is this thing "separator" just stay away from all these rubbish things.

Compos comes with X-Overs with them so no need for all these things.

Advise: get compos only in the front leave rear empty and invest the saved amount in sub and amp.

Thread Starter #17
Thanks for stopping by @Vivek :-)

After a lot of searching and reading for weeks I got a headache. I'm sure there's nothing to do with as there are hell a lot varieties out there and nobody could have tested all of them to become an expert. With that in mind, I dropped Polk DB651 Compos out as it's getting so many 1 star reviews on its longevity on Amazon.com.

So, this is my final audio setup. Looking forward to what you guys think about it.

Head Unit: JVC KW V21BT (Bought it)
Amplifier: Sony XM-N1004 4 Channel Xplod Amp (Bought it)
Sub-woofer: Sony Xs-Nw12022E In Car Subwoofer Box (Bought it)
Front Doors: Infinity Reference 6500cx Component Speakers (Going to buy)
Rear Doors: Infinity Reference 5002ix (Going to buy)

Thanks for all of your valuable suggestions!

Good choice, go for this setup. If you like it, you will love it. Actually the reviews worldwide have been too good for Polk 6501, but in the end its your choice.

As VivekRj.Dieselhead said, components are more pleasing to the ears. Coaxials have tweeters mounted on the midbass which gives overlapping sounds, which sounds very wierd and gives headache (no good bass, it produces bass forcefully). Components OTOH have seperate tweeters which gives better distinguished instrument sounds and are more laid back. The crossover takes care of sending the vocals to the tweeter and bass notes to the midbass woofer.

And regarding the convertor thing, I guess you are talking about the X-Over (or crossover) of the components or Hi-Lo converter (which is used in company fitted stereos to create preouts for amp). You don't need any of these.

And leaving rear fills empty might not be a good idea. For hatchbacks it is acceptable due to the smaller cabin and boot structure (which allows more bass inside from the sub) but for sedans like Optra, the subwoofer will not sound as prominent in the cabin and the rear seat occupants will recieve very muted vocals and muffled bass. Thus the rear fills are necessary for overall better sounstage.

After a lot of searching and reading for weeks I got a headache. I'm sure there's nothing to do with as there are hell a lot varieties out there and nobody could have tested all of them to become an expert. With that in mind, I dropped Polk DB651 Compos out as it's getting so many 1 star reviews on its longevity on Amazon.com.

So, this is my final audio setup. Looking forward to what you guys think about it.

You are going good. Some shopkeepers can try to make extra money from you by offering those separator, hi-low converter etc. Don't go for those unnecessary things.
Optra has bigger cabin so don't leave rear doors empty . Your above list is very good , install all this from a good knowledgeable installer for clean installation and perfect tuning .

Thread Starter #20
Thank you so much ice_wise & saroya [:)]

The 1 star reviews of Polk DB651 combos about the product not working after 6 months made me rethink about it even though there are hell a lot of good reviews on the same product. And it looks like there are a lot of superior brands other than polk. Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even knew any other brands other than Sony, JBL and Pioneer.

So, I'm going to buy any of these today. They are final lol and will be among the 3 alone.

Front Doors: (Compos)
Choice 1: Focal Performance Access 165 AS (Flipkart Mobile App price Rs. 11050)
Choice 2: Focal Integration 165 ISS (Flipkart Mobile App price Rs. 7479)
Choice 3: Focal Auditor R 165 S2 (Flipkart Mobile App price Rs. 4799)

Rear Doors: (Coaxs)
Choice 1: Infinity Reference 5002ix
Choice 2: Hope there are 5-5.25" Coax from Kicker to punch bass in the rear

Thanks again!

I suggest you to audition the various brands. Speakers are all about the sound they reproduce and how will you be able to judge just with the pictures online?

Anyway, coming to the point, get any of these if you have the budget. 165AS Access series components are well known for their performance. If SQ is your aim, look for Polyglass series. Out of the three components, obviously 165AS is the better one. Good thing with these brands is their RMS power requirements are less than other entry level brands. This Access Series needs IIRC 60w RMS which your Sony amplifier will provide easily. Their output and quality is too good despite their low power ratings. There are many similar brands like Focal which are Morel, Dynaudio, Hertz, Kicker, Polk, Ground Zero, Infinity, Boston, etc.

For rear fills, get Polk DB521 or Infinity 5002ix, as per your budget. Both are good and well known speakers, the Infinity being a more common choice. You should not be expecting too much bass from 5.25" speakers, they will be just there to fill the cabin with sound and help in overall soundstage improvement. Their presence won't be felt much but their absence will be felt. Bass can be expected from your subwoofer.

Do update here on what final equipment you get.

Last edited:

Nothing can be done for the items you have already bought,

So better would be Rainbow/Bull audio/polk or Micro Precision(if you can stretch) instead of infinity, cause infinity is on the brighter side.

I still advise you not to go for co-axial in the rear-fill, Keep them empty.

I have heard many sedans and SUVs with only front compos and rear twin subs, so I know what I am advising.

VivekRj.Dieselhead - Can the same be said for the rear seat occupants? They will get overpowering bass and weak muffled vocals because of their position in the car. For the front seat occupants, this arrangement shall work fine.

In my optra , i have 6 speakers(4 doors+ 2 on parcel tray)+1 Sub setup. And it gives decent SQ in whole cabin. Choice is yours , IMO Atleast 4 speakers are necessary to get equal sound quality in every corner of your car's cabin. Otherwise rear benchers will feel like their ass kicking by the sub sitting behind them :biggrin:

VivekRj.Dieselhead - Can the same be said for the rear seat occupants? They will get overpowering bass and weak muffled vocals because of their position in the car. For the front seat occupants, this arrangement shall work fine.
Yeah for rear seat occupants as well,

There is no lack of vocals or overpowering of bass,

And it is done by doing proper tuning.

Having too many speakers actually affects the SQ negatively,

Sound staging is very important in any ICE which gets disturbed in 4 speaker setup.

My car has only front compos namely Micro Precision 3 series.

Rear fills are stock speakers but disconnected.

Nobody complains in rear seats for any lack of vocals.

But they do complain about bass cause my car don't have subs now.

I would be installing twin subs in boot, Vitamin M is the reason for their absence.

Sorry buddy but I do not agree, at least in the current context (thread). Micro precision 3 and 5 are high end speakers which cost well above 25k if I am not wrong. Their output will be more fuller, and lively. We are talking about low-mid range speakers in this thread and I don't think they will be able to provide that great an output from a 55w amplifier (external). And I personally found a sea of difference in sedans and hatchbacks regarding subwoofer presence inside the cabin. In sedans, the same subwoofer with the same amplifier (and even wiring) didn't give as much bass inside the car as it gave in a hatchback. The boot lid position literally conceals maximum bass output inside the car, whereas it was not the case in sedans (even compact ones). I do not totally agree with the sound staging point. Rear fills are necessary for a surround sound as the driver's ears are at almost an equal distance from the rear and front speakers. Leaving the rears empty will mean that sound would be coming (heard) only from the front. No amount of tuning (without an SQ subwoofer or rear fills) can give the desired surround effect with only front speakers.

I knowingly chose slightly low output rear fills for my car and the soundstage is just perfect. The front speakers are powerful and overpowering, but in a good way as they do not get lost when the subwoofer kicks. And I agree, too many speakers do screw up the soundstage.

Sorry buddy but I do not agree, at least in the current context (thread). Micro precision 3 and 5 are high end speakers which cost well above 25k if I am not wrong. Their output will be more fuller, and lively. We are talking about low-mid range speakers in this thread and I don't think they will be able to provide that great an output from a 55w amplifier (external). And I personally found a sea of difference in sedans and hatchbacks regarding subwoofer presence inside the cabin. In sedans, the same subwoofer with the same amplifier (and even wiring) didn't give as much bass inside the car as it gave in a hatchback. The boot lid position literally conceals maximum bass output inside the car, whereas it was not the case in sedans (even compact ones). I do not totally agree with the sound staging point. Rear fills are necessary for a surround sound as the driver's ears are at almost an equal distance from the rear and front speakers. Leaving the rears empty will mean that sound would be coming (heard) only from the front. No amount of tuning (without an SQ subwoofer or rear fills) can give the desired surround effect with only front speakers.

I knowingly chose slightly low output rear fills for my car and the soundstage is just perfect. The front speakers are powerful and overpowering, but in a good way as they do not get lost when the subwoofer kicks. And I agree, too many speakers do screw up the soundstage.
First of all 3 series costs 45000, 5 series is above ~65000.

you would be surprised to know that my car doesn't has amplifier.

MP3 are powered via stock fiat HU giving only ~15 watt.

One of my friend has only front Bull audio compos and a rear sub,

Never found vocals to be insufficient. And Bull compos costed him 5 grands back then.

Maybe you didn't heard any high end SQ setup.

Most high end SQ setups only have front compos and rear twin subs. That's it.

If you don't want to agree with me then no issues, I am cool:cool:

I just wanted to give a fair advise that's it.

Oh, they cost a fair bit then. I am not much familiar with ICE and have been around under 1.5 Lac setups only. We are all here to learn and share. So this is my personal view from whatever experiece I have had and it is perfectly alright if you accept it or not.

In hatchbacks, due to their structure and body frame, SQ needs can be met with a set of high-end components at the front (like you have) and an SQ oriented subwoofer at the back, with proper tuning. I agree to many speakers spoil the soundstage but 4 speaker + 2 tweeter + 1 subwoofer was the best setting I could find in sedans with the limited knowledge I have. Due to a hatchback's design, more of bass is gained inside the cabin than what is actually produced. In sedans, I found this to be opposite, the bass produced inside the boot and transferred in the cabin was very different, and was equal only in some setups. The bass levels in the cabin are much lower. This I am telling after auditioning a 120.9w Infinity playing in my Swift and then in the installer's SX4. SQ setup is not about getting good vocals or good bass, it is a blend which is needed. For a good SQ setup, sound imaging is very important and although a major bit of it is altered by proper tuning, the other primary half depends on the equipment and their position in the cabin. In a Fortuner with DLS components powered by a Focal Solid 4, I had the chance to audition with the subwoofer, with rear components and with front components only. The final setting which the owner liked was 2 pairs of components (tweeters at equal height, flush mounted) and a 12" subwoofer. The rear seat occupants (me and my friend) could easily tell the difference the rear components made. For the driver and co-driver the difference was a marginally better sound (clarity) but it was a difference between good fuller sounding audio and a front-heavy sounding setup. IMO rear fills get more important as cabin size (and thus volume) increases. I agree with your posts except the dual subwoofer part, if we are talking about decent 12"ers here. My MM1240 Polk feels sufficient for low-mid volumes and blends well with the front components. As the volume goes up, the subwoofer definitely starts to overpower the front stage. One subwoofer with a respectable power handling, high BL and excursion will be enough for an SQ setup. I have also been in a Punto Evo with 2 L7s kicking at the back and believe me, they were literally breaking the car with every bass kick. Let alone the IRBM, even the ORVMs were shouting for their lives on bass drops! Though bass needs are different for everyone, 2 subwoofers sound like an overkill to me unless you got some serious tuning equipment (to make them hit oy when needed) and powerful front stage to cope with the bass.

While I agree that 6x9 coaxials do make the setup rear-heavy but I think the round coaxials balance the sound very well and are more apt as rear fills for those having decent components and a subwoofer already. Opposite to the case of subwoofers, the presence of rear fills is felt and not their absence. This I am telling after my own experience with JBL 6x9s and the current Hertz 6.5" in my tiny little Swift. In sedans, the absence of rear fills will be felt more than in the hatches. This is not evident much at the driver and co-driver position but is evident in the rear bench. Maybe AKHAN can himself experiment during his install (by auditioning with & without rear fills at the rear seat) and let us know his views. I think you have heard many SQ setups in sedans also, and as you say, I definitely need to do some more auditions myself to put down my views.

Let us not hijack AKHAN's thread and one last thing, you need an amplifier or equaliser for those speakers sir! [:)]

A setup worth of 2,3,4 or even 5 lac can even sound worse than a setup costing just 50-90 grands,

Just cause of tuning,

Have heard Micro Precision 7 series with Mosconi AS 100.4 and a 200.4 with rainbow germanium sub in a pajero, which was sounding worse cause of bad tuning,(You can imagine the cost of setup yourself )

And a Linea having just Micro Precision 3 series and a Seas L26 Roy in the boot was sounding great powering from a Mosconi one 120.4. So tuning does make a hell lot of difference.

Both the cars belongs to my friends but somehow lost contact with that pajero guy.

It seems you know quite a lot about ICE, so I believe I should stay a little away,

BTW please don't I usually want myself to be away from any argument. So cool...

Thread Starter #30
Thanks guys! I'm not really sure how I didn't receive the email notification after a while (?!). So, I went ahead with the setup but for the front compos I zeroed in on 'Hertz HSK 165" which is selling for 13K in Snapdeal after reading a lot of good reviews about how they are better than Focal's poly-glass and the silk/neodymium tweeter vs Focal's aluminium tweeter.

I had a big relive after checking the authentication of the product as I was afraid if I was going to receive a fake product.

So, now I've the Hertz Hi-energy HSK 165 in the front. The thing is I'm not really sure how to determined whether an audio installation is good or not. I came across a few installers in Chennai. Can anybody tell me where I can go for a GOOD audio installation in Chennai? Also, due to the recent flood, it looks like all the service centers, body-shop are filled with vehicles and nobody is free :(

I cannot just wait to feel them!

After reading through the posts, it looks like rear coaxial may or may not be required. I'll check them during the installation. Also, do you think the Sony amp can power up the Hertz HSK 165 speakers which is a 125w RMS speaker? Thanks again!

Top Bottom