Help Needed With Car Audio System

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm not that much familiar with audio components. I kept on searching and started buying things one after another. So, I would much appreciate if you can say something about the following setup and what kind of an outcome I can expect from them.

Car: Optra Magnum Top End Diesel (2011)
HU: JVC KW V21 BT (22RMS)
Amplifier: Sony XM-N1004 (70RMS)
Sub-woofer: Sony - XS-NW12022E (300RMS)

I'm confused of speaker sizes and references. So, I took a measured the speaker panel size with the help of a scale. The front speaker measures 15CM and the rear speaker measures 13CM. I'm not really sure about the size of the speaker inside it though. it's a rough measurement of outside diameter where the holes end (?).

There are a lot of Good speakers in the 6.5" range and I noticed that one can get them fit into Optra magnum with the help of Spacers (pls don't say it cannot be done) as 15CM=5.9".

Is that correct? So, I ended up with up the following speakers
Front:
1. Polk DB 6501 - 6.5" Component Speakers - (100RMS)
OR
2. Polk DXI 6500 - 6.5" Component Speakers - (100 RMS)
OR
3. Infinity Reference 6500CX - 6.5" Component Speakers - (90RMS)

When the 6.5" can fail
OR
4. Infinity Kappa 50.11CS - 5.5" Component Speakers - (85RMS)

For the Rear:
1. Polk DB521 - 5.25" Coaxial Speakers (40-50RMS)
OR
2. Infinity Kappa 52.11i - 5.5"(?) Coaxial Speakers (40-50RMS)
OR
3. Infinity Reference 5002ix - 5.25" Coaxial Speakers (40-50RMS)

Clarifiations:
1. I should connect both the front speakers to the HPF connection of the Amplifier. The sub-woofer should be connected to the LPF connection of the Amplifier. The rear speakers can be connected directly to which port on the HU?? The manual says the HU has both HPF and LPF. So, If I'm not wrong the rear speakers should be connected to the HPF of the HU right?
2. Optra mangnum has two tweeter on the front door. So, the tweeters coming with the component speakers can be fitted into it right, not visible to the eye sight? And the crossover will go into the door right?
3. Will my option #1 & #1 work with both front and rear speakers work on my car? I've heard a lot of good things about these speakers.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!!

Hey, you already have lots of information on ICE it seems.

1. Yes, connect the front components to the Ch 1 and 2 of the amplifier (with HPF) and bridge the remaining two channels of the amplifier to the subwoofer. HPF and LPF would be the settings on the HU, you just have to remove your rear stock speakers and add new speakers. If you are changing wiring, route it exactly as it was in stock setup. Fiddling with this may leave your FADER option useless.

2. Yes.

3. Polk DB6501 is a very good set of component speakers, no doubts. And everything will work, it is another thing that your equipment (70w RMS amp with 280w RMS bridged power) may not power your speakers or subwoofer to their maximum capacity (like 6501's require 100w RMS and subwoofer needs 300w).

I have PMed Saroya, he will be here soon. He also has an Optra so he would be able to help with speaker sizes.

Thread Starter #3
And everything will work, it is another thing that your equipment (70w RMS amp with 280w RMS bridged power) may not power your speakers or subwoofer to their maximum capacity (like 6501's require 100w RMS and subwoofer needs 300w).
Thank you so much for answering. But my budget restrics me and I cannot think of any other higher end 4 channel amp or a separate mono 2 channel amp for the subwoofer which can do justice to the subwoofer at 300rms.

Considering these restrictions, if I am going with the current set up, will I have to compromise so much with the audio quality? Or the difference is subtle? Thanks again.

Hello All,

I'm not that much familiar with audio components. I kept on searching and started buying things one after another. So, I would much appreciate if you can say something about the following setup and what kind of an outcome I can expect from them.

Car: Optra Magnum Top End Diesel (2011)
HU: JVC KW V21 BT (22RMS)
Amplifier: Sony XM-N1004 (70RMS)
Sub-woofer: Sony - XS-NW12022E (300RMS)

I'm confused of speaker sizes and references. So, I took a measured the speaker panel size with the help of a scale. The front speaker measures 15CM and the rear speaker measures 13CM. I'm not really sure about the size of the speaker inside it though. it's a rough measurement of outside diameter where the holes end (?).

There are a lot of Good speakers in the 6.5" range and I noticed that one can get them fit into Optra magnum with the help of Spacers (pls don't say it cannot be done) as 15CM=5.9".

Is that correct? So, I ended up with up the following speakers
Front:
1. Polk DB 6501 - 6.5" Component Speakers - (100RMS)
OR
2. Polk DXI 6500 - 6.5" Component Speakers - (100 RMS)
OR
3. Infinity Reference 6500CX - 6.5" Component Speakers - (90RMS)

When the 6.5" can fail
OR
4. Infinity Kappa 50.11CS - 5.5" Component Speakers - (85RMS)

For the Rear:
1. Polk DB521 - 5.25" Coaxial Speakers (40-50RMS)
OR
2. Infinity Kappa 52.11i - 5.5"(?) Coaxial Speakers (40-50RMS)
OR
3. Infinity Reference 5002ix - 5.25" Coaxial Speakers (40-50RMS)

Clarifiations:
1. I should connect both the front speakers to the HPF connection of the Amplifier. The sub-woofer should be connected to the LPF connection of the Amplifier. The rear speakers can be connected directly to which port on the HU?? The manual says the HU has both HPF and LPF. So, If I'm not wrong the rear speakers should be connected to the HPF of the HU right?
2. Optra mangnum has two tweeter on the front door. So, the tweeters coming with the component speakers can be fitted into it right, not visible to the eye sight? And the crossover will go into the door right?
3. Will my option #1 & #1 work with both front and rear speakers work on my car? I've heard a lot of good things about these speakers.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!!
Hi Buddy [:)] Nice to meet fellow Chevy Optra owner here on TAI.
Regarding the speakers size, it is 6 inches at front doors and 5.25 inches at rear doors. ( i have recently upgraded all four speakers in my optra). Optra comes with it's own plastic spacers which is of very good quality and design . You can install 6.5 inchers with aftermarket spacers at front and 6 inchers at rear. But you have to make sure the width of spacers should be kept minimum , because there are chances of speakers hitting door pad grille.
So choose the speakers according to these sizes. Installation of crossovers on doors will depend on size of crossovers. There is very limited space left when window glass rolls down. It is better to install crossovers behind dashboard to avoid rattling noises.
You speakers choice is very good but keep the sizes in mind.
HU has LPF and HPF but you can't do both of these at the same time from HU. But it is possible in your Amp. And for 100 watts RMS speakers you can drive them with 70-75 watts RMS per channel Amp perfectly , there will be no problem . I think your new tweeters may not fit in stock tweeter's slots . Use your stock speakers if you don't want to modify door pads or can't place them on dashboard corners.

Thank you so much for answering. But my budget restrics me and I cannot think of any other higher end 4 channel amp or a separate mono 2 channel amp for the subwoofer which can do justice to the subwoofer at 300rms.

Considering these restrictions, if I am going with the current set up, will I have to compromise so much with the audio quality? Or the difference is subtle? Thanks again.
The difference would be subtle. And don't worry, your amplifier is still quite powerful (70w RMS) for this price as we get mostly 60w RMS in this price. Your speakers will perform very well but they can handle upto 100w RMS, so it would have been slightly powerful with more RMS from the amplifier.

And since you haven't finalised the setup yet, go for Blaupunkt GTA470SF amplifier (better than Sony) and Pioneer/JBL subwoofer (better than Sony). Sony subwoofers are overrated, the one which claims 1800w Max power sounds worse than 1150w JBL. So go for either Pioneer Champion series (or single coil TSW304R) or JBL GTX1200 or 1150. They are more bang for the buck.The Infinity components (Kappa or 6500) will go sufficiently loud. Go for cheaper rear fills as they won't sound very good on stock HU. Spend the rest on a good subwoofer.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks @Saroya! Nice to meet you too :-)

( i have recently upgraded all four speakers in my optra)
Mind to share the details, pelase?

You can install 6.5 inchers with aftermarket spacers at front and 6 inchers at rear
That's a biggest relief coming from one of the Chevy optra owners. But do you think there will be a problem with the audito output since the front can only hold 6" and the rear 5.25"? I read somewhere that the airflow through the speakers holes will not give the desired effect when the size goes high. Any thoughts?

It is better to install crossovers behind dashboard to avoid rattling noises.
Thanks, I'll be sure to say the same at the audio installation center.

I think your new tweeters may not fit in stock tweeter's slots
Too bad. I don't want to do a cutting on the dashboar/door panels :-(

Coaxial speakers can never replace the quality of component speakers right?

Thanks @Ice_wise
And since you haven't finalised the setup yet
Sorry my friend, I've bought all except for the speakers. Bluepunkt was my choice for the sub-woofer but one of my friend told me to go with enclosers instead of tubes. I spent more than a week searching; I usually read the reviews on eCommerce stores esp Clutchfield. So, the setups are what I could come up with after weeks of searching. Wish that I rushed to TOI and seeked the help before :-)

Go for cheaper rear fills as they won't sound very good on stock HU
That's really an interesting point and very helpuful :-)

Thanks again for all your valuable suggestions.

Mind to share the details, pelase?
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/23731-diy-new-speakers-installation-my-chevy-optra.html

That's a biggest relief coming from one of the Chevy optra owners. But do you think there will be a problem with the audito output since the front can only hold 6" and the rear 5.25"?
Yes, front speakers will sound louder than the rear (again depends on the brand and quality of speakers you get), but as you have a subwoofer, there would not be much differences.

I read somewhere that the airflow through the speakers holes will not give the desired effect when the size goes high. Any thoughts?
No. Output is affected on when the speakers are placed far away from the holes in the doorpad.

Coaxial speakers can never replace the quality of component speakers right?
Yes, but components cannot match the bass of 6x9 inch coaxials.

And do update on what speaker sizes you have decided, along with your budget for each pair.

OT - Sorry for answering questions asked from Saroya! [lol]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Thanks @ice_wise & sarayo

But how exactly a 6×9" can fit into a place which can only accommodate upto 6.5"? I am confused about these oval speakers - can that be used as an alternative for round speakers? Or some cars come with oval speakers?

Also, can you please tell me some good wiring kits for my setup?

Thanks @ice_wise & sarayo

But how exactly a 6×9" can fit into a place which can only accommodate upto 6.5"? I am confused about these oval speakers - can that be used as an alternative for round speakers? Or some cars come with oval speakers?

Also, can you please tell me some good wiring kits for my setup?
He is Saroya buddy and not Sarayo! [lol]

Regarding the 6x9 oval speakers, they probably the best alternatives to subwoofers in the speaker category. Usually people install them on the rear parcel tray, by getting an MDF tray made with 6x9 inch provisions on it. They can not be fitted in round spaces.

What is your budget for the wiring kit? Any 8 Guage wiring kit will do depending your budget.

Thread Starter #11
He is Saroya buddy and not Sarayo!
Thanks for the correction LOL

Regarding the 6x9 oval speakers, they probably the best alternatives to subwoofers in the speaker category
So, I believe I don't need them in my case where I've bought a separate sub-woofer.

Usually people install them on the rear parcel tray, by getting an MDF tray made with 6x9 inch provisions on it.
That's completely new for me. I thought they usually cut the panel behind the rear head rest to fit the speakers. And it looks like they are ranging from Rs.800.

What is your budget for the wiring kit? Any 8 Guage wiring kit will do depending your budget.
Can all these be done by spending under 3K? Thanks!!!

Thanks for the correction LOL

So, I believe I don't need them in my case where I've bought a separate sub-woofer.

That's completely new for me. I thought they usually cut the panel behind the rear head rest to fit the speakers. And it looks like they are ranging from Rs.800.

Can all these be done by spending under 3K? Thanks!!!
Yes that thing is called the parcel tray. And it starts from around Rs.800, correct.

For wiring, 3k is enough, you can buy an 8 Guage amplifier kit for the amplifier and some speaker wire for the speakers. The amplifier kits start from 1000 bucks (Fusion, Connects) for good VFM kits and you can go for Focal PK8, Kicker, Scosche, etc. which would cost around 3k. For speaker wiring, your installer will have these and I don't think you need much expensive wires for the speakers. It would cost upto 1k. So you can go for Fusion wiring kit (1000-1500 bucks) and any good quality (see for yourself) speaker wire (upto 1000 bucks). For subwoofer wire, either you can use a part of wire from the supplied amplifier kit or get an 8AWG or 12AWG wire from Kicker.

Optra has fixed parcel tray made of metal. You have to cut the metal to fix the oval 6x9 speakers, which i will not suggest and is completely useless because you are already planned for component speakers in all four doors.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks @Saroya

I'm actually getting components for the front doors and coaxial on the rear doors as most people suggest.

Can you please say something about the followings?
1. Some people say that components can give you headache and so much of distraction. So, it's better to go with coaxial on the front too. Is that true?
2. What is a separator? I noticed some people are talking about a separator in their audio setup posts. Something like a high-low separator. Is that mandatory to enhance the audio output?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Top Bottom