Help Me Turn My Maruti Zen Into Pocket Rocket

Thread Starter #1
Well I have a zen 1998 model which is carburetor one and now since it has fallen in my hands I want to turn it into pocket rocket n what better car then maruti zen
FB_IMG_1577214594523.jpg

This is my beautiful zen with esteem limited edition alloys,
Now changed the bumper to black

Now coming to main points
My zen is carburetor
Want to swap it's engine
Option 1: Shall I go for 1.3 carburetor engine from esteem which will be easy and direct swap since my zen is carburetor

Option 2: shall I go for 1.3 mpfi engine from esteem
The problem will be I will need complete wiring harness along with working ecu n need professional work n cost might go high

Option 3: swaping 1.6 from boleno but that I have ruled out due to extensive mods to stiffen the chassis n 1.6 might be overkilll

Needs your inputs guys

Well I have a zen 1998 model which is carburetor one and now since it has fallen in my hands I want to turn it into pocket rocket n what better car then maruti zen View attachment 268944
This is my beautiful zen with esteem limited edition alloys,
Now changed the bumper to black

Now coming to main points
My zen is carburetor
Want to swap it's engine
Option 1: Shall I go for 1.3 carburetor engine from esteem which will be easy and direct swap since my zen is carburetor

Option 2: shall I go for 1.3 mpfi engine from esteem
The problem will be I will need complete wiring harness along with working ecu n need professional work n cost might go high

Option 3: swaping 1.6 from boleno but that I have rulled out due to extensive mods to stiffen the chassis n 1.6 might be overkilll

Needs ur inputs guys
Congrats on the original jelly bean car.
Why do you want to swap the engine? Is it seazed or just a thought?
The 1ltr if decarborated, or rebuild with a well tuned carb, is a good enough pocket rocket.
Do keep us updated.
OT:
There is another Zen being restored on the forum.
Maruti ZEN (2002) - Restoration

You can swap with Carb 1.3 ltr esteem engine not with mpfi. Remove unnecessary weight and make it two seater by removing back seat. It will fly like rocket.

Thread Starter #4
Congrats on the original jelly bean car.
Why do you want to swap the engine? Is it seazed or just a thought?
The 1ltr if decarborated, or rebuild with a well tuned carb, is a good enough pocket rocket.
Do keep us updated.
OT:
There is another Zen being restored on the forum.
Maruti ZEN (2002) - Restoration
thanks it's been with us since new
Now since we took new cars this has fallen in my hands
The 1ltr is just to slow and for mods I had it earlier and didn't work well so looking for a engine swap
Will be making a separate detail review of my zen ownership

You can swap with Carb 1.3 ltr esteem engine not with mpfi. Remove unnecessary weight and make it two seater by removing back seat. It will fly like rocket.
Sir 1.3 carburetor will be better and hassel free swap right? Want to keep the looks and interior stock otherwise cops pull up now days to check the car

OK, Yes you can swap with 1.3 Carb. how many km zen driven? if more than 2 Lakh you can go for over sized MGP pistons that will boost little engine power. I had two zens still owning one. Any spares requirements I can help you.

thanks it's been with us since new
Now since we took new cars this has fallen in my hands
The 1ltr is just to slow and for mods I had it earlier and didn't work well so looking for a engine swap
Will be making a separate detail review of my zen ownership
Do keep the following in mind for the engine swap:
1. Include the GB
2. Bigger radiator.
3. Update the suspension and brakes.
To name a few.

Thread Starter #7
OK, Yes you can swap with 1.3 Carb. how many km zen driven? if more than 2 Lakh you can go for over sized MGP pistons that will boost little engine power. I had two zens still owning one. Any spares requirements I can help you.
My zen engine has done more then 2lkh km and did overhaul twice once when it hit 2lkh km and other soon after 2lkh km bcos the earlier Meachaic didn't do it properly had faced some issues
Since 2nd overhaul car has having Absuletly no problems but now since it's only for me planning to upgrade and 1ltr isn't having the punch
Why don't u suggest 1.3mpfi?

Thread Starter #8
Do keep the following in mind for the engine swap:
1. Include the GB
2. Bigger radiator.
3. Update the suspension and brakes.
To name a few.
There is one esteem for sale in Goa for a throwaway price and Documents have been expired so the owner wants to sell it

My zen engine has done more then 2lkh km and did overhaul twice once when it hit 2lkh km and other soon after 2lkh km bcos the earlier Meachaic didn't do it properly had faced some issues
Since 2nd overhaul car has having Absuletly no problems but now since it's only for me planning to upgrade and 1ltr isn't having the punch
Why don't u suggest 1.3mpfi?
Carb model do not have ECM , related electronics and wiring harness. ECM driven vehicles depend on several sensors. It is difficult for swamping Mpfi engine with non mpfi car.

Thread Starter #10
Carb model do not have ECM , related electronics and wiring harness. ECM driven vehicles depend on several sensors. It is difficult for swamping Mpfi engine with non mpfi car.
Oh yes so I better stick with 1.3 carb conversation
Today went to machine he advised to do carb 1.3 swap as no electronics

For mpfi swap he told even if there is slight mistake in writing and while doing first start of car the ECU can blow offf

So better I stick with the carb 1.3

deville_56

Honoured Member
I mean brake upgrade with power. The Zen brakes were vague, which was improved with this Wagon R or Esteem brakes, which most of the E-Zen owners did. (Not exactly sure it was booster alone, getting old, been a long time [lol]).

Last edited:
Engine and gear box or just the engine is being changed ? Because mating esteem engine with zen gearbox should be done by expert.

I feel if you want more power, free flow exhaust, engine modification can give a bump in power, plus removal of excess weight.

Thread Starter #15
I mean brake upgrade with power. The Zen brakes were vague, which was improved with this Wagon R or Esteem brakes, which most of the E-Zen owners did.
Oh yes got it but currently the project is on hold don't no if I should invest money in this as my car has completed around 23 years and need body work will as there are some rust and holes, to sort this things out I will need to shell out atlest 40k , my other plan was to get 1.3 swift petrol and mod it and sell zen but emotional attached

Top Bottom