Help me clear Sub Woofer Doubts

Thread Starter #1
My punto car is fitted with a 10 inch Polk Sub, Hertz components at the front and Hertz co axials at the rear with a Hertz HE4 amplifier.
My question is how are people able to produce loud Bass from subwoofer which is heard from a considerable distance from outside. That Bass thump is heard from outside till a considerable distance. Is it possible by putting high volume on the headunit?. If the head unit volume control knob is placed at lower levels wont the Sub Woofer thump be heard that loud?

And right now the Frequency cut off for my Sub [LPF] is placed around 80 Hz and for Front Components [HPF] is placed around the same level 80 Hz but i sometimes hear slight distortion from the front speakers when Bass Drum beats are played at considerable high volumes. Is this because the frequency cut off setting for HPF [ Front components] is set low at 80Hz? Should it be increased more?

Waiting for your replies

A 10" driver is not that much capable of producing the thump you are looking for. If you want to shake the neighborhood then go for a bass tube instead of a sub. If sub is the preference then go for a 12" driver in a ported box. For ground shaking thump you need a sub atleast capable of 500 RMS or above mated to a mono amp capable of producing equivalent power.

The distortion you are hearing maybe due to lack of damping or poorly installed mid bass. I presume you are having Hertz energy/high energy components which definitely dont distort at high volumes. Please check for installation issues.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #3
What i mean by distortion is as follows : Sometimes when the front compos take in the Drum bass for certain songs i hear slight distortion trrrrr sound. What i think is this Bass should not come for the front compos and it should only go to the Sub Woofer at the rear and the HPF setting is too low i guess at 80 Hz. Otherwise as u said the speakers dont distort at all. And as u might be knowing i upgraded my Sub from 8 inch to 10 inch.
Ur thoughts

I use a 1200 gt series woofer in my car,but I had my car insulated so you dont hear the thump or any audio out side,you only see probably the outside mirrors vibrating a little & majority of the car where you hear the thump outside are cars with light gauge metal like santros ,altos,omnis,accent,indicas,logans & others of that sort,observe this next time.

But if you have the windows up & a well built car & for example if you have a car with a large boot like an octavia & woofer is free mounted on the parcel shelf the bass can be heard around.

But your woofer is a 10 inch,it is noted that a woofer with a large surface area can produce better wave lengths regardless of the watts or rms.

I guess if you want this thump in your punto which has a good gauge metal,you mite as well shift to a 12 inch sub of a good rating along with a heavy well built box & add a mono block amplifier or u can choose a company built box with in built mono block amp,I guess jbl should have a new one out right now

What i mean by distortion is as follows : Sometimes when the front compos take in the Drum bass for certain songs i hear slight distortion trrrrr sound. What i think is this Bass should not come for the front compos and it should only go to the Sub Woofer at the rear and the HPF setting is too low i guess at 80 Hz. Otherwise as u said the speakers dont distort at all. And as u might be knowing i upgraded my Sub from 8 inch to 10 inch.
Ur thoughts
Just confirm if the amp channel that is driving the fronts is set to FLAT rather than HPF.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #6
Just confirm if the amp channel that is driving the fronts is set to FLAT rather than HPF.

freakdude.
Its set at HPF. The distortion is coming from the rear speakers only for some Bass drum beats only which is driven by the car headunit amp. In general these bass beats should not go to the rear or front speakers right?? Or am i wrong?. Hertz amp is driving the front comps and the sub.

Last edited:
Its set at HPF. The distortion is coming from the rear speakers only which is driven by the car headunit amp. Hertz amp is driving the front comps and the sub.
In your first post you mentioned that distortion is coming from front speakers and now saying that it is from rear speakers. Please confirm. [;)]

freakdude.

The head unit is the factory fitted stock one which powers the rear co axials. And if gain on the amp is set v low , will that cause any distortion?
if distortion is coming from front speakers, set it to 150 to 180 hz with HPF , not at 80 hz. lower frequncy produce bass and if you put speakers on lower frequncy , on louder sound there will be distorion.
Rear speakers that are without amp , you cant do anything.

which sub series you have in polk ? and what's its RMS?
your amp if bridged gives 200 rms * 1 ... most of the entry level subs need above 250 rms.
Are you sure your sub is bridged properly? If not , it means it is running on 100 rms not 200! All amps have different method of bridging. It may be written on amp or in manual.
Make sure you set sub at 2 ohm in amplifier.
What is the size of your subbox? Is it sealed or ported?
The smaller size box will give harder bass but not louder. Increasing the subbox size will help you get louder bass heard outside the car
If none of these work , it means Factory HU is not good.
and even your sub is little smaller to get that thump.

Last edited:
oops sorry my mistake. Its coming from the Rear speakers which is driven by the car headunit :)
Please check the speaker cable running from HU to speaker terminals. Also, what's the gain on AMP for rears. Do not exceed more than 60% since they are coaxials and not components.

freakdude.

Top Bottom