Help in Selecting Speakers and Amplifiers for Punto (Now Done: Pg.3)

Sure will do that [:)] And can you help me with the hissing sound which comes out through speakers when the system is on. Anyways ive spoken to the installer and il be getting it rectified on Wednesday. What might be the probable cause. As soon as in on the system hiss sound comes up through front speakers . Is it a problem with the amp or the converter??
Difficult to say! As freakdude has explained, it could be because of connections. As hissing means white noise and if it is coming at 0 vol, it means it is been passed on from Amp to speakers. Which set of speakers are being driven from Amp?

Thread Starter #47
Difficult to say! As freakdude has explained, it could be because of connections. As hissing means white noise and if it is coming at 0 vol, it means it is been passed on from Amp to speakers. Which set of speakers are being driven from Amp?
The front component speakers are being driven by the amp along with the Sub. I guess that's the reason why the hiss sound is heard only from the front speakers. Rear speakers are fine and no sound is heard as its been driven by the head unit amp. So do you think its the problem with the amp?

The front component speakers are being driven by the amp along with the Sub. I guess that's the reason why the hiss sound is heard only from the front speakers. Rear speakers are fine and no sound is heard as its been driven by the head unit amp. So do you think its the problem with the amp?
Could be! But I am just guesstimating here and I aint an ICE guru [pig], so get it checked. It might be just because of some settings on Amp.

Thread Starter #50
General query on amp. My JBL Amp has front and rear channel. Front channel to components and rear to Sub. SO in the front channel the small knob is placed at the position HP[high pass]. Three markings present on front and rear channels [HP,LP(Sub),Flat]. So as i mentioned front channels knob is placed at position HP. SO when coming to the rear channel which is bridged to the Amp should the knob be placed at LP(Sub) position? and then adjust the gain of the rear channel??

Waiting for replies

Thread Starter #52
You are spot on sandeep,that's the way it has to be done.
Oh thanks for the reply. The knob is still placed on HP for the rear also and its like for the front and rear channels that knob is placed at HP position only and am increasing the gain of the amp for the rear sub by placing the knob at HP position :(..Will the sound improve after doing this change?
Would this wrong setting of knob position have caused any damage to speakers??

Waiting for your replies

Last edited:
Oh thanks for the reply. The knob is still placed on HP for the rear also and its like for the front and rear channels that knob is placed at HP position only and am increasing the gain of the amp for the rear sub by placing the knob at HP position :(..Will the sound improve after doing this change?
Would this wrong setting of knob position have caused any damage to speakers??

Waiting for your replies
Nothing has been damaged buddy. HP/LP are cut-off levels for range of freequency to be played on that driver (speaker) components are HPFed and SUBs are LPFed. Keep the LPF at 80hz for the sub as it is quite ideal.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #54
UPDATE : Changed my AMPLIFIER to HERTZ HE 4. The culprit for that hiss sound was the JBL Amplifier which was there earlier. Now after replacing it with Hertz HE 4, there is no hiss sound and the set up is perfect. Now all Hertz set up in my car with a Polk Sub Woofer.

Nothing has been damaged buddy. HP/LP are cut-off levels for range of freequency to be played on that driver (speaker) components are HPFed and SUBs are LPFed. Keep the LPF at 80hz for the sub as it is quite ideal.

freakdude.
Cool thanks :)

Thread Starter #55

Here is the image of my amp settings. Any changes to be done or suggestions?. The frequency of HP is set at around 90Hz or so [between 40Hz and the first marking] and for the LP it is set around the same level [between 40Hz and first marking]. Any more alterations that can be done to get good bass effect from my 8" sunwoofer?

Waiting for your replies

Thread Starter #56

Here is the image of my amp settings. The frequencies are from 40 to 400Hz making it in divisions of 40Hz, 130Hz, 220Hz, 310Hz and 400Hz corresponding to the markings on my amplifier
Any changes to be done or suggestions?. The frequency of HP is set at around 90Hz or so [between 40Hz and the first marking] and for the LP it is set around the same level [between 40Hz and first marking]. Any more alterations that can be done to get good bass effect from my 8" sunwoofer?
As seen in the image the gain of my Sub is set around 70% range[can i increase it still more?] and the main speakers gain is set around 25%[between the min and the first marking level

Waiting for your replies

Settings are OK. Though a 8" sub would need some serious juice from amp to produce the thump but as of now too the gains seem to be fine. Hertz amps have a tendency to heat a bit so keep an eye on the amp if playing for extended hours.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #58
Settings are OK. Though a 8" sub would need some serious juice from amp to produce the thump but as of now too the gains seem to be fine. Hertz amps have a tendency to heat a bit so keep an eye on the amp if playing for extended hours.

freakdude.
Cool thanks for the reply...Can i increase the sub woofer gain still more say to 90% for more bass effect.?Will it cause any problem on sub??. And most of the time i put the AC on in my car so i guess heating issue is eliminated here??. Or will it not cause any difference to amp when AC is on ?

Cool thanks for the reply...Can i increase the sub woofer gain still more say to 90% for more bass effect.?Will it cause any problem on sub??. And most of the time i put the AC on in my car so i guess heating issue is eliminated here??. Or will it not cause any difference to amp when AC is on ?
Buddy hold your horses [:D] . A 90% gain on amp will fry your sub and amp. Keep the gains at 60-75% max and that too after 20-30 hrs of playing the music from the time of install so that sub breaks in sufficiently to handle the input.
Also, where have you placed the amp so as the car AC cah chill it? is it under the seat?

freakdude.

Thread Starter #60
Buddy hold your horses [:D] . A 90% gain on amp will fry your sub and amp. Keep the gains at 60-75% max and that too after 20-30 hrs of playing the music from the time of install so that sub breaks in sufficiently to handle the input.
Also, where have you placed the amp so as the car AC cah chill it? is it under the seat?

freakdude.
Ohh [surprise] Yeah the amp is under the front passenger seat. And the gain i mean is the Sub woofer gain...Front channel level ive kept it to 20% or so... And the rear channel Sub level is now around 70% can i increase it more??

Top Bottom