Help in Selecting Set of New Tyres for Maruti 800

Finally went and got the tyres in my maruti 800 changed at a ceat dealer in koramangala.. He suggested ceat tyres were more smoother and comfortable to ride so i decided to go with it.. and from my earlier pics if you have noticed how dull the rims were, i decided to paint them myself using some "metallic silver" spray paint and some masking tape :) i have attached the pics .. Varun i got the courage to do this after reading your DIY section. Thanks a lot you have really shown how to take care of a car you love..
how much are those tyres

seriously can you trade off old tyres and get discounts on same ? ???

am planning to get two new tyres and one guy was stuck with installing bridgestone tyres for my M800

the other two i asked vouched for MRF

Maruti 800 tyres

Hello Guys,

I am relatively new to this forum and need your advise.My car tyres need replacement and I have short listed 145/80 R12 and 155/70 R12. What would be the right choice. Will any of these scrap the wheel arches.My current tyre size is 145/70 R12. Also please suggest a good brand of tyres.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Re: Maruti 800 tyres

Hello Guys,

I am relatively new to this forum and need your advise.My car tyres need replacement and I have short listed 145/80 R12 and 155/70 R12. What would be the right choice. Will any of these scrap the wheel arches.My current tyre size is 145/70 R12. Also please suggest a good brand of tyres.

I have replaced my tires with 145/80 R12 with michelin xm2, the ride quality is just awesome and very less road noise.

Check out the threads suggested by Varun.

Hello Varun and Girish..

Appreciate the quick response from both of you..I want tyres that would increase the ground clearence and the same time a bit wider that the existing one....Out of the two which one provide both these advantages...

Varun: I would like to know what are spacers and whr r they installed.. do u have any picture..Also mine is a 2003 model....
Also i must say your car looks fabulous man ....too good..the alloys are amazing...

Girish: Would 145/80 R12 be wider that my current one of 145/70 R12...can u show any pic of the tyre area....I dont mind having tyre that bulge out a bit....

Thanks

Hello Varun and Girish..

Appreciate the quick response from both of you..I want tyres that would increase the ground clearence and the same time a bit wider that the existing one....Out of the two which one provide both these advantages...

Varun: I would like to know what are spacers and whr r they installed.. do u have any picture..Also mine is a 2003 model....
Also i must say your car looks fabulous man ....too good..the alloys are amazing...

Girish: Would 145/80 R12 be wider that my current one of 145/70 R12...can u show any pic of the tyre area....I dont mind having tyre that bulge out a bit....

Thanks
The 145/80 R12 would be taller than your current 145/70R12 it will help you get better mileage.But the tire will flex during high speed cornering.

If you want a little bit of both, go for the 155/70R12.If you want more grip and are not that worried about ride quality go for 165/60R12 that Varun is using.Varun can better explain the qualities of the 155 and the 165 since he has recently used both.

I just checked changemytire and there is a 165/70R12 there.Best of all worlds.The brand is Kumho.I have seen these on SUV's never on sedans or hatches.
This tire is an unknown quantity.

Last edited:
The 145/80 R12 would be taller than your current 145/70R12 it will help you get better mileage.But the tire will flex during high speed cornering.

If you want a little bit of both, go for the 155/70R12.If you want more grip and are not that worried about ride quality go for 165/60R12 that Varun is using.Varun can better explain the qualities of the 155 and the 165 since he has recently used both.

I just checked changemytire and there is a 165/70R12 there.Best of all worlds.The brand is Kumho.I have seen these on SUV's never on sedans or hatches.
This tire is an unknown quantity.
Thanks Jarpickle...

I wnt to knw which one of 145/80 R12 and 155/70R12 are taller..I am worried abt the grnd clearance as I recently bumped my car on a boulder underneath and gt a dent on the floor ....

I jst the tyres frm Yokohama..they hv only one option for 12 inch.... i.e165/60R12....is varun using the same brand...

@Varun pls help me choose betwn 155/70 and 165/60....

Thanks,

Hello Varun and Girish..

Thanks
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...y-tiny-maruti-800-ownership-experience-3.html

Please check out the above link of my thread. If you are looking for a GC, it will definitely 145/80 R12 will help. The GC has been considerably increased in my case.

But, for 800 definitely yokohama tyres looks killer, especially if you have a set of alloys in you car.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...y-tiny-maruti-800-ownership-experience-3.html

Please check out the above link of my thread. If you are looking for a GC, it will definitely 145/80 R12 will help. The GC has been considerably increased in my case.

But, for 800 definitely yokohama tyres looks killer, especially if you have a set of alloys in you car.
Thanks Girish..

So your suggestion is to go fr 145/80 R12 for getting higher GC. so could you suggest a good brand as well for that.

Also hw are these in comparision to Yokohama 165/60R12 in terms of ride and handling, grip GC and overall quality...I do nt have Alloys at the moment and could go for it if they seem better..

Also you deserve an applause for the wonderful job u hv done on your M800. This is an excellent example on how to maintain a car!!!

Pls let me know you opinion for my query....

Thanks......

@Hybridjoyride: Yokohama's 165/60R12 are pretty decent they do have grip issues when pushed hard.Varun has Bridgestone PotenzaGIII 165/60R12.With the 165/60R12 your GC will reduce.

If you want more GC you should go for 145/80R12 tires.If you have alloy wheels the sidewall flex won't be as much as with the stock rims.But with alloys wheels the tires will look a bulged.

I have 145/80R12 on my 800 and I had to get spacers in the rear suspension because the tires touch the body on full load.

Last edited:
@Hybridjoyride: Yokohama's 165/60R12 are pretty decent they do have grip issues when pushed hard.Varun has Bridgestone PotenzaGIII 165/60R12.With the 165/60R12 your GC will reduce.

If you want more GC you should go for 145/80R12 tires.If you have alloy wheels the sidewall flex won't be as much as with the stock rims.But with alloys wheels the tires will look a bulged.

I have 145/80R12 on my 800 and I had to get spacers in the rear suspension because the tires touch the body on full load.
Thanks Jarpickle....

Pls cn u post a pic of ur Tyres and the side pic tht show the GC with 145/80R12..regret for troubling u, bt would really be nice of u.....

Also wht brand do u suggest for 145/80R12..michellin do nt hv these....wch ones r urs..

There are pics in my inventory.Click over my name and then click on visit album in inventory.

Michelin does have 145/80R12 XM2 tires.Those are the really good, I didn't get Michelin when I changed mine so went with Bridgestone Turanza ER60, equally good in all aspects but high road noise.

If you drive at high speeds go for the 165/60R12 if you only do city driving go for 145/80R12.

Check the date of manufacture of the tires, should not be more than 2 months old and not more than 6 months if they are super rare tires.

Do a physical and visual inspection of the tires.Some tires come with sidewall bulges which is a manufacturing defect.You need to reject it at ASAP or else the dealer will blame it on you.

Last edited:

Top Bottom