Help in Selecting New Tyres for Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
HI TAI Members,

I am looking to chane tyres for my Maruti 800. I searched some local shops and got the following prices. Please help me selecting the best i.e. cost wise and durability wise.

Michelin XM1 - 2450 - Tubeless - 145/80/12
Bridgestone - 2850 - Tubeless - 145/80/12
MRF ZCC - 2100
MRF ZVTS - 2350 - Tube type
Apollo AMAZER Xl - 2300

I have a heart to go for Michelin, but confused if its worth spending that much for a Tyre for Maruti 800 which don't even have an AC. I drive my Car once in a week only. Like hardly 500KM a month. So, my question is, whether to go for a tyre around 2500 or not. Or should I settle for somewhat like MRF for Rs 1900.

AMG

Suspended
155 would be sufficient for 800.

165 is overkill.

And get Bridgestones. Superb tyres. Or if on a budget, get Ceat, good tyres, again.

Skip MRF ZVTS ( I have them in the rear wheels of my car), very noisy. Apollo Amazer is somewhat better than MRF (I use them in the front wheels).

Best tyre would be Michelin, good sizes would be 155/70 R12 or 155/80 R12. Anything more than this, the steering would become very hard to use at low speeds.

Go for tubeless tyres from Michelin, if budget is an issue then try Apollo Amazer

CAUTION: SKIP CHINESE TYRES, DO NOT COMPROMISE ON TYRES TO SAVE A FEW HUNDRED RUPEES.

Thread Starter #5
Thank you Seniors for your sugesstions.

I had written that I take out my car for a hardly once a week only and drive not more than 500Km a month. So, would it be sensible to go for a costly tyre? I have a heart for Michelin XM1 only because of it build and quality. It is tubeless, but the guy told that they will put my current tyre's tube in it and it will be more durable. Just confused about many things, like performance, handling, mileage, hardness on the steering wheel while driving. Selecting a tyre in now becoming headache. I also searched ChangeMyTyre.com also. Please suggest me good or best, considering what I have asked you.

Thank you in advance.

Old MRF ZVTS are prone for damages when ages, even without running much and my brothers Zen's MRF tires(145/70-13) lost its shape after around 5 years and tread was still there .But for my old 800 it lasted well and no issues. i replaced 2 front tires with bridgestone, a good performer. When i sold the car after 10000km after tire change,BS tires were as good as new. Tread wear was very low.

By the way my all tires were standard size(145/70-12)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Hi senior members,

I am still waiting for your answers. I need to change my tyres on saturday. So a quick reply/suggestion is needed.

I have Bridgestone Turanza ER60 145/80R12. Back then I was looking for Potenza G3 165/60R12 but these were out of stock.

The advantage of the taller Turanza is mileage and ground clearance,but cornering with the taller tires is bad due to increased side wall..The Potenza gives you more grip, but compromises on ride quality cause it lowers the car down.

Another tyre that's in the 165/60 R12 is the Yokohama A539, it is a cheaper option to the potenza.

The Michelin XM1+ is a good tire, but since it uses a softer compound the side wall punctures are more common in it due to bad roads.

I was not a fan of Goodyear they are they only ones that make the 155/70R12.

If you go for the 165/60R12 you might have to buy alloy wheels that are wider too.

Not sure about how the new Apollo tires are.

Bridgestones have comparable life to MRF but with better quality.I love the current set on my car.Have filled mine with nitrogen.

Last edited:
We had tried Michelin XM1 , 148/ 80 R12 in dad's old M800 ( Sold now) as tubeless on the stock rim itself, without any issues.
Ride/ comfort was much better than the stock 145/70 & road nice was less. Couldn't observe any significant changes in handling.

Theoretically the increased sidewall may cause some handling issues; But we may not feel that in regular city driving.

The increased sidewall is a problem when taking sharp turns.The tire flexes a lot.

The alloys are needed only if you go for 165/60R12 even 155/70R12 can be fitted on stock rims.It all depends on the width of the rim and the width of the tire.The dealer will be able to tell you the max width of tires that you can put on stock rims.

Thread Starter #12
Finally I have changed my tires. I had decided to go for Michelin XM1 or Ceat Milaze. So, on Sunday, I went to Mayapuri (Delhi) to hunt for good tyres shop. Searched 3 shops and the price quoted were too high. 2400 for Ceat Milaze and 2800 for Michelin XM1.
I then decided to go for Ceat as they were giving wear and tear warranty. But before proceeding further I thought to give one more try to another shop. Surpisingly, my friend's old friend met. He told us about a shop which sells improted tyres (Branded like Bridgestone, Michelin). So went to their shop. At first, he showed me some Chinese tires like Jingungyu etc. After saying no, he took me to his godown. And what I saw was unexplainable. Maxxis, Hankook, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Michelin. All tires like brand new. I doubted and asked how he can sell these as good as new tires at less prices. He said, that these tires had been used once for testing purposes in new cars and they buy them at official company auction.
I chose Bridgestone Turanza, Potenza and Sneaker. And finally of them I took Bridgestone Sneaker 145/80 R12. I have attaced some pics. Do give your reivews if it worth or was a good decision. BTW the price of each tyre was Rs 1400.

xtMmx.jpg

lry46.jpg

CDodR.jpg

FWL4l.jpg

jOuLY.jpg

vVnGO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on the new tires.

The tire tread looks very shallow.Check the tread with a 1 rupee coin and see how it compares to locally manufactured bridgestones.Please click a few pics of the comparison, this will help others greatly.

Thread Starter #15
Hi varun : these tires are as good as new. At first instance i chose to buy new only. But once I went to his godown, I saw all new tires. There were lots of people buying from him. Swift dzire, honda civic owners were also buying from his shop. And though there ia no warranty, he told me they would last for 50k odd kms, if not I can exchange with other tyre. The tires have a goos thick tread like it was in michelin xm1. I will post pic of it.

Top Bottom