Help in Deciding a Hatch in Rs.6 - 8 Lakh Range (Booked Punto 2012 Emotion)

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I thought I would not have to create this thread as I was mainly glued to 1.3 MJD Punto (76HP) until I delayed buying it and then FIAT came up with 50K increase in price for new Punto 2012 (7.64 lac Emotion pk earlier and now 8.14 lac for the same), which means I have to drop my plan to go for Punto.

Background
I wanted to buy a hatch during Diwali time last year and went for research with following main requirements:

1) OTR cost - within 6 lac to 8 lac max (actually prefer below 7.50 lac)
2) Prefer diesel but could settle for petrol if price difference (between the chosen petrol & chosen diesel) was ~1lac at least and mileage at least 13 kmpl in city.
3) ABS must
4) Prefer alloy wheels
5) Prefer to have front airbags
6) Prefer to hav power windows & central locking
7) Decent boot space (200L+) and able to take occassional 5 ppl.
8) Ground clearance - should have good GC so that not to scrape with 5 ppl and @near 0 speed (I will be careful mostly)
9) Delivery in 2-3 weeks (that is, same month delivery)

Usage
My target yearly usage comes around 15K range which includes 1 long trip (>1000KM) and 4-5 short trips (~600KM).

Cars I considered so far and observations
1) Figo TDCi - Good VFM with TITANIUM had most checkboxes ticked, concerned about some issues with scraping with 5 ppl, no 60:40, no power window for rear, no alloy wheels, cramped rear (compared to Punto)
2) Punto 76HP MJD - Liked and Emotion Pk (stretched budget beyond 7.50 lac) looked suitable, main concern was GC with nose
3) Ritz VDI - Maruti! Compromise on features, alloy, boot. Could even go fo ZXi as price comes to 6 lacs. But, just checked, they are saying 45 days for ZXi as well as VDi ABS.
4) i20 CRDi - Didn't TD, Asta out of budget, Magna does not have ABS (some say it has but Hyundai site doesn't). Concerned about if overall build is as good internally as it looks. Also no concrete information about real mileage people are getting.
5) Polo - Less on features. Checked 1.2 petrol, was coming to 7.23 lacs for top end, didnn't check diesel as though it would cross my budget and may not meet all my requirements. Also, felt the rear seat had similar issue as Figo (perhaps central hump is the issue).

After lot of thought, I zeroed on Punto but hit some roadblocks due to combination of some bad luck as well as my own doing and decided to wait for JAN 2012. Now that it seems FIAT has addressed the main concern I had with Punto (GC), it also has crossed my budget which was already stretched beyond 7.50 just to accommodate Punto - I was OK with 20K increase (that is, 7.85 lac for top end) but they have chopped off discounts so it is going to 8.14 lacs and thus I have to now rethink!

Can you all please help me deciding the car and also consider my observations mentioned overall as well as per car basis to provide your inputs?

Thanks.

Hemant

Re: Please help in deciding a hatch 6-8 lacs range

hi hemant, i think i20 is the best. have a TD. overall its an economical car. polo is also a good option and it has the best build quality but high on maintenance. i never liked ritz.
punto is a good car no doubt but resale, service and spares are cause of concern.

I RECOMMEND I20.

I personally dont advise the Ritz.. the platforms too high and the car feels like driving a truck!!!
now, I 20 is something worth a buy .
Maybe u should also check out the new Skoda Fabia (petrol ) if u are limiting your budget, unfortunately i dont have an update as to how good the car actually is ,or if the cars running on petrol engines from Skoda are as good as the Diesel ones.

I personally dont advise the Ritz.. the platforms too high and the car feels like driving a truck!!!
now, I 20 is something worth a buy .
Maybe u should also check out the new Skoda Fabia (petrol ) if u are limiting your budget, unfortunately i dont have an update as to how good the car actually is ,or if the cars running on petrol engines from Skoda are as good as the Diesel ones.
i also feel the only good car from fiat is the Linea, a fantastic drive!!

Why not look for Jazz once you confirm on waiting period? That is a VFM vehicle IMO. Also, remember Honda vehicles are considered troublefree vehicles.

If diesel, i would suggest New Swift ZDI if you are ok with the waiting period. The price is pretty high but not exorbitant.

Many issues about I20 have been discussed in this forum about steering, rattling Etc.,. Not sure if they have been fixed though.

Why go for the top end? Judging by the features you have mentioned, go for Punto dynamic or even Active. It has everything you need, except ABS.

Hyundai i20 magna does not have ABS.

Considering your requirements & budget, Figo seems to be the best bet. If you can stretch your budget, then i20 & Punto is worth it buddy.

Thread Starter #7

Thanks for your suggestions so far!

@a.ashish, @Tapan, i20 Asta is out of my budget and Magna doesn't have ABS. Also, as truecitylover mentioned, I too am concerned with some very critical issues with i20.

@truecitylover
I will check Jazz, but last time I checked, they were not taking booking. Swift ZDi wait period is 8+ months!

@raj_5004

For i20, I have to spend near 8.50 L (for ABS) and still not sure if they have fixed AC and other issues. Since I intend to use the car at least for 4 years, I also want good build and not sure if i20 falls into that category (just my gut feeling - nothing else!)

Punto dynamic has ABS but I will anyway go for 15" upgrade (increased GC was most welcome but need 15" tyres at least) and probably alloy wheels too, so may as well go for Emotion (which I feel is the better package) - constraint is budget - would have loved if FIAT had given same discounts as earlier!

You are correct about Figo - with all of the above, not I am more inclined towards Figo just cannot digest no rear power windows, 60:40 etc., but it will come for around 7.10 L which is a big plus.

@hemantp...
i don't know if anyone here has suggested you to have a look at the new Vista ZX?
It has everything you want!
ABS = check
Alloys = check
2 airbags = check
232L bootspace = check
Ground clearance = good enough. i own it. hence, i know it.
Delivery = max 3 weeks. Check the below link to know the on-road prices for all Tata and Fiat cars. Buy New Tata Indica New Vista Refresh in Bangalore | Tata Indica New Vista Refresh Car Prices
And yes, the price of top-end Vista ZX is well withing 7.5lacs OTR. also, you have some offers and discounts running. Bargain hard

Is FIAT not offering any discounts for new Punto? I think if you want for few months and the sales doesn't show any improvement meanwhile , FIAT will start offering discounts again.

And any reasons for leaving out Beat , Micra , Fabia , Vista?

Just wait for 1 month Fiat definitely starts discount on Punto.

Also look at Renault Pulse.

Fiat Punto Diesel had only Insurance and Extended warranty free. There was no additional discount like on Petrol. I am guessing that these things would be still there. But need to confirm.

IMO as well you should look at Punto Dynamic trim, it has everything you need barring Alloys, and Airbags. GC has increased so no concerns there. And if you select white or red, you dont have to pay 5K extra.

Anyway, otherwise in Petrol - best option is Jazz, followed by Swift P. No denying the fact these stand out from the rest by a mile.
In Diesel - Figo (best VFM except for those things which you have mentioned), followed by i20 (expensive and still has A/C and steering rattle issues).

In case you have no qualms about Tata, Vista Q-Jet is another good option. The new sedan class is again a great VFM!

See, the top end is always tempting. But even if you end up buying the Figo or Vista or Ritz top end, you will get the same features what you will get in the Punto dynamic or i20 magna. its just that i20 & Punto is loaded to the gills in their top end, which makes it expensive.

So, if you are going for a smaller vehicle top end or punto/i20 middle variant, its one and the same, except that you will get airbags in ritz/vista.

lxi.

Suspended

Yes, buddy you can also go for the new vista ZX if you are not concerned about the T. A.S.S. Have a TD and then decide, i think you get all features and some money can also be saved for future modifications!

Thread Starter #14

@lxi., @simha.k
Sorry, missed important point: I agree that Vista ZX is a good option with VFM but not considered because my wife is against it (still trying to convince once in a while).

@raj, @Thetraveller, you made a good point about dynamic but since I was so hooked on Epk earlier, finding it difficult to go for dynamic is decided on Punto

@cooldhaya, @JazzSelect looks like there won't be any discounts even till Feb end as current delivery itself will take around 3 to 4 weeks!

With Tuscan Wine as the choice, current Punto will come @8.30 L to me (50K more than earlier) - scary thing is, somewhere in back of my mind, I am ok with it...

With Tuscan Wine as the choice, current Punto will come @8.30 L to me (50K more than earlier) - scary thing is, somewhere in back of my mind, I am ok with it...
I know what you mean! In case you are ok with that figure you can go for it.

E+ will come fully loaded and only following things would need to be modded:
1. Sunfilms
2. Speakers (in case you want to change them)
3. Seat covers

Otherwise this trim does not require any other modification, which makes it a decent buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom