Help in Choosing a Spacious Hatchback

After driving Indian diesel cars for last 2year , I have likeness towards petrol cars.

Silent cabin and lesser maintenance will sure pay up in long run. Petrol car is not a bad idea..!!
Even I was like that.
When we were having the swift diesel(first diesel car),
I always admire those I-VTEC end all,mind we had M800(outgoing) too.
Chevy beat replaced our humble M800,
.It is very silent at idle,I too loves it engine note that you hear inside at higher rpm.
But when it comes to maintenance ,petrol is cheaper to service too,but this petrol is way too expensive.
You will know once you drive both petrol and diesel simultaneously and now a days diesel engines are turbo charged too,it leads turbo lag sometimes though.

Thank you jalex for the info,
glad that i picked Chevrolet Beat over for Figo Petrol.

Thread Starter #32
Yep. This was my original concern about figo (see the begining of thread). I had literally gone through all facebook complaints and it was scary for me.

I haven't had TD of Jazz yet.
Leaving the decision to my heart as there is no point in analyzing it too much and get more and more confused. [:D]

You had said you needed a car to keep for 7-8 years. If you go for a Figo and when the time comes where you finally sell it, You will lose all the money you saved on fuel and more in depriciation. Plus Fords burn pockets at service after a while. Hondas are built to last and they can outrun the Ford, No doubt and It will hold its value better in comparison to the Ford when you sell it after 8 or more years.
Quite agree, just check the current resale of ford cars :eek:

You had said you needed a car to keep for 7-8 years. If you go for a Figo and when the time comes where you finally sell it, You will lose all the money you saved on fuel and more in depriciation. Plus Fords burn pockets at service after a while. Hondas are built to last and they can outrun the Ford, No doubt and It will hold its value better in comparison to the Ford when you sell it after 8 or more years.
+1 to that.
But it's OK to loose few grands after 7-8 years. Using a car for that log shouldn't interest in resale. I still feel a petrol would be better for you, but it's you who has to spent money so keep the final decision to yourself.

freakdude.

If it is more space you are looking for then nothing can beat Toyota Liva. Liva can accommodate 4 medium sized persons on it's rear bench. There is no hump on Liva's rear legroom and it have lot of legroom space in both front and rear. Etios Liva also have seven 1L bottle holders,13L cooled glove box and the biggest boot in it's segment. Even the engine room is also spacious. [thumbsup] I call it Livacious.

If it is more space you are looking for then nothing can beat Toyota Liva. Liva can accommodate 4 medium sized persons on it's rear bench. There is no hump on Liva's rear legroom and it have lot of legroom space in both front and rear. Etios Liva also have seven 1L bottle holders,13L cooled glove box and the biggest boot in it's segment. Even the engine room is also spacious. [thumbsup] I call it Livacious.
Tell me that you work for Toyota [evil].
(Just kidding even if you do.)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to that.

Also you can try out the new Vista. It too has lotsa space and drives well too.

freakdude.

I would say that you are in the middle of mixed territory, neither petrol nor diesel.Its a breakeven point at there.If you are fine with the petrol prices nothing beats Honda Jazz at this price point with no compromise in its quality, safety features.Its spacious, and all round car.If you want to opt for diesel hatchbacks,ford figo, all new swift as well as all new vista are the contenders, though swift cannot match the space part with vista or figo but its a good car to drive without doubt.Best is to drive all your shortlisted cars, and see which one suits your needs, your pocket and make your decision.

Hunter,

Go for Petrol as your monthly running does not support Diesel car. Or if you are obsessed with Diesel than go for a Diesel car. JAZZ no doubt is the best bet after the price cut.

@ Hunter Any updates now buddy? Etios diesel is also launched now , considering that too? Its too early to compare the long term ownership costs of a Jazz and Figo but i can safely say a Honda will be cheaper to maintain than a Ford. Yes Honda spares are costly but they last long , really long! If maintained well you will end up not spending a penny extra other than regular servicing. In short a Jazz can offer you guaranteed peace of mind and for your running Petrol does make more sense. I have never owned a Honda or Ford before , i have said the above lines based on what i see and hear from people.

@ Surfer I would say 1500-2000KMS a month makes sense for diesel.

Thread Starter #45
I had a long weekend and was lost out in my home town (home village !) for the onam festival.
But i met some of my relatives who has been owning Figo for about 1.5 years. They never faced any problem and they were all praise for the vehicle ( they are not automotive enthus). That boosted my confidence.

@ Hunter Any updates now buddy? Etios diesel is also launched now , considering that too?
I gave up Etios dreams just because of the weather gasket issue. Cant imagine myself holding umbrellas in the car in Kerala climate where rain is through out year and part of daily life !!

I made up 99.99% for the Figo diesel. Planning to book by this week. Promised to deliver in 2 weeks. Honda Jazz might take a few months waiting as the recent price drop got them plenty of bookings.

To support my decision , here is my pessimistic & optimistic calculations.

I would save anywhere between 50k - 100k over five years.

Note that this is because Figo diesel titanium hond Jazz is almost in same price range and so the intial cost difference does not come into the picture.

I dont expect the service costs to be too much to overcome this. There are people who have run more than lakhs of kms and still the service costs are not too much compared to petrol.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom