Help For Comparative Study: BMW vs Mercedes-Benz

Thread Starter #1
Hi, all. I am Avirup, a dear friend of the 350Z (Vibhor). I am a mass comm advertising student, currently doing internship at R.K.SWAMY BBDO ad agency.It is one of the top ad agenices in india and 2nd largest in the world.Anyways, i am handling mercedes benz who happens to be a client of R.K.Swamy BBDO. So i would like all here to provide me with data related to the fact that:
1. Why is Mercedes Benz loosing market share in India and abroad inspite of launching bigger and better models from BMW?
2. What edge or advantage does BMW has over Merc ( India specific reasons )?
3. Should they be more consumer/customer focussed?
4.Views/Opinions/Suggestions on how to increase their market share in india and subsequently abroad?

Based upon the comparative analysis, our client Mercedes Benz will improve its marketing and communication process.
Please do provide all of your valuable inputs..
Thanks.

350Z

Core Team
So let me be first to take initiative and start this interesting discussion:

1. Like I said before, This is market and up and down is always present, be it any brand of world. The matter is not Mercedes is going too much behind their competitors or not able to perform well, Infact Mercedes Benz is back on the lead from sometime now and as we can clearly observe that they are not only focusing on luxury class but have entered in a niche segment too by launching SLS class in India and creating mayhem amongst enthusiasts, unlike BMW. Check this linky reg. sales comparo (Dated 10th May): Mercedes regains top spot, BMW to fight back
  2. Most Important – Brand Value & Status Symbol, and no wonder why it swiftly became one of the most admired as well as popular brand in India just after official debut, Even among those who can’t even imagine to afford one. Also, It has been continuously winning award of “CEO’s Most Preferred Brand in India”
  3. They already are :smile: but just that competition is only getting tougher, Other car manufacturers in same league are no fool, So Yes, Efforts must go on always.
  4. I like the idea of “Executive Edition” but this trick could be success only in market like of India, for foreign land, The absolute luxury and driver focused cars at genuinely aggressive price are must, This is where BMW takes over in most of the cases.
These were only a few points, I’ll keep dropping more with the time. Till then, Wait for response from others and what’s the deadline to submit your project?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Mercedes Benz's image in India, in my view, is of high class luxury car makers. Not for self driven type people. And BMW is perceived as great car for high class drivers. Since now more people can afford high end cars and not neccessarily wants to have drivers, preferring BMW or even Audi.

350Z

Core Team
Another thing for 4th point - That is, Merc doesn't only have competition with handful of brands in International market, like India.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I agree with the point what RSM has said.

And in addition to that good advertising always helps. A great ad showing all the features and specifications along with the prices will be good i guess!

One more point- Merc is becoming too common these days in india. every rich guy has one! BMWs are rare, so people opt for it for the exclusivity it offers.

Also, BMW's sporty styling is more preferred by many rather than Merc's conservative & laid back styling.

i have very little to say but mercedes benz is purely for status symbol and show-off where as BMW comes with added "Driving Pleasure". [:)]

Thread Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys.Please provide a bit more details like sales stats, articles etc. INMO i personally Like BMW's which are much better and sportier cars than Mercedes. But since I am working for the client, all personal views are out of the window. It has to be a neutral analysis.

hey swift, you should check the link provided by 350Z in post #2 for latest sales details of both brands.

Top Bottom