Help Buying a Gearless Scooter for My Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Background:
My dad is 62 years old and riding a 5 year old Scooty Pep with 50k on odo. He doesn't know 4 wheeler driving and at this age he don't want to take chance in learn driving (I'm forcing him for past 3 years)

I'm taking my mom and dad with me (to Chennai from Coimbatore) next week. So let his scooty get retired at CBE. Planning to get a new scooter for my dad.

Purpose:
-Shopping and to roam around if he gets bored at home
-Take my mom to temple
I don't want him to drive inside the city, I'll always take my mom & dad in car inside the city. This vehicle will be shared by my fiancee (getting married in August) too. Max usage will be 300~500 km/month

Requirements:
-No Activa, dad feels its too heavy
-FE: 40~45 kmpl (happy if we could get more)
-Soft ride (Not like Scooty ES. He is satisfied with Pep comfort)
-Rear seat comfort (though it will be used for short rides only, my mom's comfort is my 1st target)
-Budget: around 40k

I have driven Scooty ES, Scooty Pep, Bajaj Krystal and Honda Activa.
ES: I love the 2 stroke engine, but not the comfort level (Model replaced by Teenz) - Rejected
Pep: Reliable workhorse and good rear seat comfort. Should I go for it again?
Krystal: Looks small (like scooty ES) Ride comfort is not upto the level
Activa: Ruled out for it weight

How about Mahindra 2 wheelers? Could someone comment on the On-Road price for Pep, Krystal & Mahindra 2 wheelers (if it is good) in Chennai?

I would have suggested TVS Wego but that will stretch the budget beyond 50k! Of the lot, Scooty Pep appears to be ideal choice. Reliable and proven; yet modern design. Have heard couple of complaints about Rodeo but have no personal experience to vouch the same.

I would say, stretch your budget a bit and go for TVS Wego. It is far more refined than Scooty & the pep.

Thread Starter #4
Thank you friends.
I don't mind spending a few more grands for comfort. Will keep an eye on Wego. Planning for a test drive either tomorrow or the day after.

Any Wego owners here? Please comment on FE and comfort.
BTW what is the current on-road price for Wego in Chennai? I am looking to take delivery between Christmas and New year (may be with some festive offer / discount)

Thank you friends.
I don't mind spending a few more grands for comfort. Will keep an eye on Wego. Planning for a test drive either tomorrow or the day after.

Any Wego owners here? Please comment on FE and comfort.
BTW what is the current on-road price for Wego in Chennai? I am looking to take delivery between Christmas and New year (may be with some festive offer / discount)
We have a Wego in family, My cousin's wife(Bhabi) is having one.

Having said in performance i feel Activa is better.

But as it's mainly for your dad, Wego is light ,easy to ride vehicle.
Mileage is also great in Wgo because of its light weight , you can get 45-50 kmpl with Wego.

What i felt other day while driving wego, after 40 km speed, hardly you feel you are moving, 40-50 takes ages.

No discounts was provided in bangalore, as these vehicles are in demand.

But for aged persons , Wego is hassle free as while filling fuel they need not open the seat for filling as the tanks input is outside, inserting the key and turning left will lift the seat, turning the key right opens the petrol lock.

But in the front Activa has better space for storage, In wego it lacks front storage.

Wego costed 53650 including accesories in Bangalore.

I would highly recommend you for a Wego , if you can stretch your budget.

Activa costs 54,783 + 3200 accesories.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Plan dropped [cry]

I'm taking my parents to Chennai only after 6 months (after summer) as I have to move out of India for business trips (not for 6 months, but twice or thrice in 6 months for a month or so)

Mods:
Should this thread remain live or close it as of now and open for discussion later?[confused]

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for the update. Please let our team know whenever you need this thread to be re-opened.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom