Headlight Upgrade For Honda City

Thread Starter #1
First of all im sorry guys i am posting a lot of questions because i am new to cars , anyway i was doing long trips from couple of nights and my headlights are not satisfying , even risky if i say . So will philips h4 xtreme bulbs fit directly and will it offer good visibility can i change them myself?

Yes Philips x treme vision is direct fit and doesn't require any relay since it also rated at 60/55 watts i.e. same as the OEM bulb . You can also go with Philips rally 100/90 bulbs with a relay kit , but dim your beams to the oncoming traffic since it is powerful . Get the beam properly focused and you'll love the lighting . If your car is under warranty then the company may void your warranty if they notice the relay kit with 100/90 bulbs . Hence , for a car with warranty it's better to go with Philips extreme vision . But 100/90 are awesome and do not burn the reflectors unlike 130/100 . But it's better to switch off the headlight whenever you are at idle or waiting at traffic signals etc . In the picture the left side light is 100/90 and the right side headlamp is with a x treme vision +100 60/55 . The left feels a bit more bright . Also while driving the 100/90 feel a lot more safe . Please get your headlights focused perfectly since it is the main cause for improper light distribution .

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Thank you sir for the information, i want to install the bulbs myself so if I buy 100/90 bulbs how to install the relay and if i get 60/55 will it brighter then my oems btw the car isnt in warranty its an 2005 city

Please go with 100/90 with a relay from roots , Bosch or Phillips . Please get yourself ceramic holders to sustain that extra heat . I think it is a simple diy . Takes nearly 10 minutes . But I got it installed at accessories shop . The total cost was around thousand rupees after a lot of bargain . I went with super relay from Coimbatore . It is of good quality . Please don't exceed 100/90 . Please Google for the relay diy and you'll find few posts on how to do it . Please focus your lights properly for best lighting i.e. don't aim them too high . Most relay kits come with ceramic holders but if they don't come with ceramic holders please see that you get them . Please go with Philips rally 100/90 only . Don't use any other bulb .

Thread Starter #5
Sir u dont need to plead this much i will surely try to do this . If it seems out of my budget I'll opt for 60/55

I wouldn't recommend 100w bulbs because they put strain on Battery, Alternator, Wirings and also damage headlight assembly. I know lot of people use it but that doesn't mean it is safe to use and also its not approved by traffic rules.

Philips X-treme Vision Plus H4 costs around 700 and is a perfect replacement for OEM bulbs. Alternatively if you want whitish light, go for Crystal Vision. To get more light out of headlights, installing Hid is the only best and safe option.

Thread Starter #7
I wouldn't recommend 100w bulbs because they put strain on Battery, Alternator, Wirings and also damage headlight assembly. I know lot of people use it but that doesn't mean it is safe to use and also its not approved by traffic rules.

Philips X-treme Vision Plus H4 costs around 700 and is a perfect replacement for OEM bulbs. Alternatively if you want whitish light, go for Crystal Vision. To get more light out of headlights, installing Hid is the only best and safe option.
How much will hid cost sir and which one do you recommend , does it even need relay and ceramic holders

How much will hid cost sir and which one do you recommend , does it even need relay and ceramic holders
5k to 10k or more, depending upon brand, quality, wattage, kelvin and etc. You'll need HID bulbs, Ballasts, Relay (Not sure) and wiring harness. These are available in kit and also sold separately. Projector lens is also required which is installed by disassembling the headlight (Seal). Check this thread and get in touch with bhvm, he will advice you the best option. [:)]

I suggest you to try Philips X-treme Vision Plus as it requires no alterations and can be installed easily. Later if you aren't satisfied with the output, go for HID Projectors.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
5k to 10k or more, depending upon brand, quality, wattage, kelvin and etc. You'll need HID bulbs, Ballasts, Relay (Not sure) and wiring harness. These are available in kit and also sold separately. Projector lens is also required which is installed by disassembling the headlight (Seal). Check this thread and get in touch with bhvm, he will advice you the best option. [:)]

I suggest you to try Philips X-treme Vision Plus as it requires no alterations and can be installed easily. Later if you aren't satisfied with the output, go for HID Projectors.
No sir the hid is out of my budget ill install the Philips 60/55 xtreme vision and hope that it has better illumination then my current oem

Thread Starter #10
Have ordered philips xtreme vision plus after a lot of consideration , even though shops were to some extent forcing me to install 100/90 bulbs or led/hid kits. But i even read somewhere that +130 is brighter then essential vision so ill give it a try ,anyway can someone help me how can i install bulbs myself. Or do i need an mechanic?

Have ordered philips xtreme vision plus after a lot of consideration , even though shops were to some extent forcing me to install 100/90 bulbs or led/hid kits. But i even read somewhere that +130 is brighter then essential vision so ill give it a try ,anyway can someone help me how can i install bulbs myself. Or do i need an mechanic?
It is a easy installation and you don't need any tools but just be care not to touch the filament while holding the bulb or installation it.

Locate the headlight bulb power connector (That will have three wires) in the headlight assemble and unplug the connector. The connector may or may not a have lock so check it before unplugging. Next remove the round rubber cover that is called dust cap. Then you will see the bulb secured with metal clip. Release the clip, grasp the housing of the bulb and carefully take it out. Now that you have removed the old bulb, keep it aside on a cloth or bulb case. Next, insert the new bulb into the headlight bulb holder and the notches should match. Lock/secure the metal clip, replace the dust cap and plug the connector. Make sure everything is done correctly.

Finally turn ON the headlights and see if the bulb is working. Next do the same procedure to the other headlight.

WARNING: Use eyewear and gloves when doing this DIY.

This is my quick guide for replacing headlight bulbs but you also find better instructions on youtube and it makes you more confident to do the DIY. You could also get the job done from car repair or accessory shops and it takes hardly few mins for the installation.

Last edited:
i want to install the bulbs myself so if I buy 100/90 bulbs how to install the relay
I knew you already ordered 60/55W bulbs, but in case if you change your mind in future get it done from a professional (Bette be safe than sorry) I have been using 100/90W kits in multiple cars (almost all cars except Linea, Civic, Ciaz which came with double barels) ranging from M800 till Sunny (including a 2007 Honda City) for around 1.5 decades and never had any issues. Reflectors tend to fade if used for a prolonged time (say frequent long night drives) otherwise they are pretty good and satisfy the need.

To get more light out of headlights, installing Hid is the only best and safe option.
Agreed on the Battery, alternator and reflector, but wiring is safe if installed with a proper wiring kit + relay + ceramic holders.

100/90W is not approved? Are you sure?

FYI, HID on a normal reflector (designed for regular halogen bulbs) is neither safer nor approved. HIDs generally go with projectors (unless used with specially designed reflectors + wash mechanism)

Thread Starter #14
I wanted Philips essential vision 100/90w but i wasn't getting it in local shops . And if i had ordered online i had to visit local shops for other components whic would be a long process . And then theres the headlight , battery etc damage i read so I decided to go with vision plus hope to get better performance with my dimming oems

Top Bottom