Headlamp Upgrade For Chevrolet Optra Magnum

bhvm

Honoured Member
morimoto would be a good choice..morimoto also has their own branded hid bulbs if you don't want to go with osram.

make sure color is 4300k and ballast is 35w AC.

Thread Starter #32
Thanks. Yes, the Morimoto bulbs are 60$ less than Osram CBI, but again when it comes to the brighter bulbs, Osram seems to outshine them, of course they are costlier :-)

I've decided to choose either 5000K or 5500K for pure whiteness of them. Not a big fan of 4300K since they are warmer even though they have a great visibility. I'm using Philips ultinon 6200K LED and it's a nightmare driving at night as I mentioned before. So, this time wanted to try pure white without any blue shades to it. Thanks!!!

kkn13

Suspended
1. H3 is a very stupid format and rare one with transverse filament. It does not take kindly to ANY kind of upgrade. First If I were you, Throw out those h3 housings and get something modern or retrofit small projectors in those housings.

2. Don't do projector retrofit at home, Getting beam properly focused and leveled is quite difficult.

3. HID should never be used for high beam flashing. They'll fail faster than you can guess.

4. Blacking out is for looks. Optional.
3. Havent faced any issues with my 4300K without projectors touch wood with regards to high and low beams . I use it on the highway and am forced to flash lights at night to make truckers move since they frequently block all lanes on the highway at low speeds

Interesting bit of info- my Tucson high beams are halogen whereas every other light on the Tucson is full LEDs (Factory fitment). I am pretty curious as to why, your point does seem to a reason for this

Last edited:
Thread Starter #34
I don't think LED bulbs have problem with flashing like HIDs though. I use mine so often as you mentioned. I use it during night drives mostly, but people hardly move over to left lane but still use it and wait couple of secs before continuing on their left :(. Btw, I decided to upgrade to projectors+HID for a centered yet brighter lights and no problem or whatsoever with flashing.

I don't think LED bulbs have problem with flashing like HIDs though. I use mine so often as you mentioned. I use it during night drives mostly, but people hardly move over to left lane but still use it and wait couple of secs before continuing on their left :(. Btw, I decided to upgrade to projectors+HID for a centered yet brighter lights and no problem or whatsoever with flashing.
Hi AKHAN,

Ready your complete Thread.

I am looking to upgrade my 2011 Optra Magnum Headlight from Factory fitted Halogen immediately.
May be I should have done it way back, from the day one I was feeling visibility is very less.

Need your feedback on latest upgrade to Projectors + HID.
I am also ready to discuss directly with you, if you are Ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to upgrade my 2011 Optra Magnum Headlight from Factory fitted Halogen immediately.
May be I should have done it way back, from the day one I was feeling visibility is very less.

Need your feedback on latest upgrade to Projectors + HID
IMHO, the best decision for ramping up the lighting output in any car or bike. HID's are the best but I feel that the major negative in terms of usability is the lack of flashing during day time. The activation time for HID's are around 7-10 sec IIRC. The other negative that I can think of are, genuine suppliers for 'good quality products' in India like Morimoto etc.

Also remember to pair the HID's with projectors else it will not serve the purpose at all other than blinding the oncoming vehicles.

I have done a retrofit on my car too with Morimoto D2S 4.0 Stage III kit comprising of 3" round projectors + 50W ballast + 5500K D2S bulbs. It's been 4 years and almost 80,000 kms since the retrofit has been executed. Pretty happy with the setup.

Last edited:

Top Bottom