Headlamp Upgrade For Chevrolet Optra Magnum

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I own an Optra magnum and want to change the head light. I'm not entirely sure about the difference between Xenon, HID, and HID Converter etc.

I came across some headlights online starting from 5-15K. So, I went to this car accessories shop and enquired about how much it would cost to fit XENON light (yeah, I don't know the difference) and they told me that it would cost 40K [surprise] for my vehicle.

I'm still not sure what I'm looking for. All I need is a white light with much throw. What should I buy?

Thanks for enlightening me [embarass]

Thanks!!!

Re: Can you please recommend a good headlight change?

According to Me, you need :
1. Projectors
2. 4300k HID Kit

Suggesting 4300k HID as it may work well (not great) in foggy areas. 6000k HID throws pure white light which may be difficult in foggy areas. Also please use projector with HID or else you may end up blinding the oncoming traffic and will have scattered light.

Also check out LED Headlight bulbs.

Note: I have limited knowledge in this area, so feel free to correct me.

Thread Starter #4

Hey thanks,

I'm not sure about the LED setup. Can you please explain?

I went to the shop and inquired about the price. The shop owner told me that it's best to go with Osram 4200K HID Xenon kit which he quoted me at Rs. 12000. Is that reasonable?

I also inquired about the projectors/angel eyes. He told me there's a Taiwan product that comes with projectors, hid and all for Rs. 25000 which seemed costlier to me.

Please, advice. I just want a good light throw with some enhancements like angel eyes/drl......is that possible for me to do that myself?!

Thanks so much!

bhvm

Honoured Member
1> LED explanation is in that thread. You'll have to read up a bit as its a long thread.
2> Price is Okay if its genuine Osram (Which I doubt). We have been using Uglare HIDs on these forums (Many members installed it) and they cost about 4~5k.
3> It is not easy to install DRL Angel eyes yourself. Better avoid it.

Hey thanks,

I'm not sure about the LED setup. Can you please explain?

I went to the shop and inquired about the price. The shop owner told me that it's best to go with Osram 4200K HID Xenon kit which he quoted me at Rs. 12000. Is that reasonable?

I also inquired about the projectors/angel eyes. He told me there's a Taiwan product that comes with projectors, hid and all for Rs. 25000 which seemed costlier to me.

Please, advice. I just want a good light throw with some enhancements like angel eyes/drl......is that possible for me to do that myself?!

Thanks so much!
Hello AKHAN

Osram HID, if genuine, will cost somewhere around the quoted figure. Check out P8 HID also, there are cheaper by 2-3k than Osram and Philips and work equally well.

What I would have done is got an HID kit from eBay and DRL from eBay/aftermarket shop. DRL would have served the bling purpose and 4300 kelvin HID would give white light. As bhvm said, UGlare HID kits are good and value for money. They cost under 4-5k and are well worth it.

For DRL tube, check Akash1886's thread. He has them fitted on his Honda City. They would cost around 1k and installation would also be around 1k (since it involves opening the lens and fixing it back). They serve as DRLs and also blink when indicators are used. Total showoff stuff! :biggrin:

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/18787-urban-titanium-honda-city-i-vtec-2011-a-2.html

Here's a video showing how these DRLs work (not on Optra, on other cars though) -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fR7NKtCoA8M

Regards,
Alpha

Thread Starter #7
Hey guys,

I finally had the Philips Ultinon LED fitted for Rs. 11000 on my car. I'm not much satisfied with the performance and feel that I should have gone with HID kits. This is a genuine product but still it's not lighting up the road the way I expected it to be. Overall, I'm not even sure if it's a degrade or upgrade to my previous halogens bulbs.

Is that due to the reason that I don't have projectors? How much the projectors would cost me? I read in the Philips manual that the lights are meant to be fitted as it is and the technology used with this bulb greatly reduces the glare for the oncoming vehicles. I personally checked standing afar from my vehicle and I can say that's true and no scattering of lights either. But it's not throwing far and the brightness is not so great that I would feel comfortable driving on Highways.

Do you think projectors may solve my problem? Thanks for the help!!!

bhvm

Honoured Member
AKHAN,
Can you post an pic of Philips bulbs (naked) and the headlight setup?
Perhaps they are not aligned proper. Bring em a little lower, which should help throw more light on the road.

The Biggest issue is Light tint, which is 6200k compared to usual gold standard 4300k. Eyes are not good enough focusing in 6200k region hence maybe you are feeling odd.

Thread Starter #9
Thanks @bhvm

I hope the pictures might help. It seems to lit up what is already a well lighted place, but it's not visible on the road or the range is not enough. So, I think 4300K wins. I deliberately asked the shop owner whether the visibly will be better than HID and 4300K and he said yes, may be I should have read online before making a final call.

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
AKHAN buddy pardon me but you've been mugged!!
Either its a joke or What I do not understand.

The photo you are showing me a regular Halogen bulb. Its not LED!! Nor HID!
Did they sell you those stoopid bulbs for 11k>!!??

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hey guys,

I finally had the Philips Ultinon LED fitted for Rs. 11000 on my car. I'm not much satisfied with the performance and feel that I should have gone with HID kits.
AKHAN buddy pardon me but you've been mugged!!
Either its a joke or What I do not understand.

The photo you are showing me a regular Halogen bulb. Its not LED!! Nor HID!
Did they sell you those stoopid bulbs for 11k>??
I agree with Bhvm. 11K is lot of money for the normal H4 bulbs. In 6500 I got LED fixed in my CITY's headlights 3 years back. I had used these H4 4300 Philips bulbs in my CITY too and they came at price of Rs. 1000/- a pair including the parking bulbs. Even if we take 50% rise in price per year, then too they shouldn't be more than 3K-3.5K as of now. Here are the pics of the bulbs I used earlier in my car.

20150704_145706.jpg

20170814_213513.jpg

20170814_213640.jpg

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #13
LOL. Sorry guys.

Since you asked for the naked bulb, I though the pack might help you. It's the old halogen bulb in the pack now :D

Thread Starter #14
Hello guys,

Any feedback on the light throw? It seems to be very bright as I pointed out but not so great on the road. Maybe I expected it to do wonders for the price range overlooking the fact that all the 6000K lights will only look like this because their visibility is less(even if brighter) than bulbs which are below 5000K?

Thanks!!!

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello guys,

Any feedback on the light throw? It seems to be very bright as I pointed out but not so great on the road. Maybe I expected it to do wonders for the price range overlooking the fact that all the 6000K lights will only look like this because their visibility is less(even if brighter) than bulbs which are below 5000K?

Thanks!!!
Buddy your observation is correct.
6000k Lights get "eaten" at the distance.

Get these ones in 4300k-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1SE...lgo_pvid=44ebfe8e-7e05-4d72-ab87-b77af980ce3b

Or these CREE ones-
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNS...lgo_pvid=4072f155-9eb6-4618-b0f3-a890b734f489

Make sure selection is done properly and there are many options.

Last edited:

Top Bottom