Headlamp Bulb + Relay Kit + White Parking Light Installation in Wagon-R

Thread Starter #1
So here i go this my first DIY in my car.

i want to upgrade the headlight of my wagon r as it was too dim in traffic and highway road and was facing too problem to drive. so finally got all the info regarding the same from the forum and the market.

1. the member in the forum told me that you have to go for the relay kit so that it does'nt damage the wiring of the headlight as the stock bulb was 50/55 watts.

2. i went to market and consulted some shops for the relay and the bulbs.
relay was costing me 450 Rs. and the bulb was 135 each i took the relay of minda company and bulbs of halonixs.

3. then i went to a mechnic for the fitment of the relay and cost me 100 bugs for the same which is 30 min work for him.

4. after watching some youtube stuff for the relay fitment i went to the first diy in my car.

5 . below is the process with the pictures attached.

The Process.

the relay come with you power holder and 2 normal bulb holder, fuse box. So first take the normal headlight wiring from the headbulbs.

connect the power cable of relay to the stock headlight holder. and connect & replace both stock holder with the minda headlight holders and install the white bulb.

after that connect the power cable of the minda from the fuze box to the battery positive terminal. ( PLEASE REMOVE THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL ALSO ).

now connect the ground cable with both the minda headlight holder i did just where the headlight screens goes.

now connect the negative terminal of battery and test the relay.

all will work fine ** make sure the ground cable have the proper ground **
one the first go my headlight didnt go because of bad ground. then i did just above the headlight screws and it worked.

lastly i also installed the white parking bulb because it look odd with the yellow parking bulb order the white led parking bulb from tradus with just 99Rs. local market in delhi told me price of 200 Bugs and which was too high.

so this my first DIY please check and also review waiting for all you comments.

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Hey thanks prakritij,

I want to know that one of my reg plate light is not working i tried everything to remove the light but i am not able to open the round reg light light. I have read you post for the same but didnt understand.

Can you please help me out for the same its 2 week i am in pain to remove that please help me out.
Mine is WagonR 2008 model for reference.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Congrats on your DIY :)

It would be helpful if you posted a pic showing difference between the normal light throw and output after the relay installation. [:D]

Hey thanks prakritij,

I want to know that one of my reg plate light is not working i tried everything to remove the light but i am not able to open the round reg light light. I have read you post for the same but didnt understand.

Can you please help me out for the same its 2 week i am in pain to remove that please help me out.
Mine is WagonR 2008 model for reference.

Thanks!!
finally did it prakritij. thanks for your comments..!!
Sorry for the late reply.
I opened the hatch and removed the panel on the inside of the hatch to change the bulbs.
I too was stuck with the same prob as the space for the lights is very congested and access is not easy.

Nice to know you did it[:)]

DRIVE SAFE

Hi All,

I read this thread so many times before buying headlamp relay kit. Fortunately ankit owns same model of wagon r which i do. So, after doing intense research i bought Thimson headlight relay kit from flipkart for 650,after reading great reviews. Earlier my preference was for Uno Minda but i did not find it anywhere, other option of philips and hella which were of 1000 and were not fitting my budget as my salary is extremely low (12 k only).

Amazon was selling same for 150 more bucks, so flipkart was cheaper, i purchased from there only. It took one week to arrive. The quality of wires was really awesome. See pics

It had 3 wire ends one red and 2 black,unlike one described by Ankit. I attached red one to positive but both the black ends were really short, probably they were for ground, not for negative, so i inserted left one to the ground and right one to negative point of battery as it was near to it. Inserted the 3 pin relay in left side holder of stock bulb. Remember, this telay should not be confused with the main relay which keeps load of bulbs. This is just to make connection with car wiring. When i tested it worked fine. It also purchased 2 130/90 bulbs of Osram from some unknown website for 490, including delivery charge of 100. I wanted to have 130/90 only, neither 100/90 nor 130/100. Because there should be enough difference between both beams, if we are needing extra, we should get extra properly. I visited local market of Janak Puri as well (Asalat Pur). There guys told me that there is only one shop Punjab Motors which sells headlight bulbs. I asked for 130/90w h4 bulb, he said this bulb does not exist, i moved away and consulted one more acceessory shop who also gace same answer. Finally i decided to spend 100 extra for delivery by choosing that online option, as atleast i was getting peace of mind by getting product of my choice. Within 2 days, they delivered bulbs. First, i got afraid when i saw China word on Osram bulb and thought seller looted me by giving fake product, when i consulted him regarding this, he replied stating that bulb is original, it only got made by China unit of Osram, as it as businesses spread in so many countries. So i chked business presence of Osram on their website and found that China's name was also there in list.

So, when i first time turned on lights with new bulbs and relay, i got amazed to see the brightness of lights. I did that at 6 pm when hardly any darkness was there, the light was amazingly bright on low beam and it was strong enough that i could need high beam ever.

Next to next day when i drove car and when i was returning back to home in night i tried to check high beam as well, i activated it, there was not much difference, when again i shifted back to low beam, light quantity did not decrease upto that extent at which it increased while switching from low to high. In 2-3 days of use, i realised that there is definitely some issue. I kept on turning them off at red lights and bumper to bumper moving traffic as i have heard from so many people that these bright bulbs affect headlight housing. While turning off and on i figured out this issue. Issue was that switching from low to high beam increases light, but switching back again does not decreases light, just changes angle of headlight. I told this to my father who is very good home electrician, he said relay is faulty, then on weekend, i visited local store and told him how i made connections(after watching youtube videos only) and what problem is occuring. He said you have made connections perfect, your relay is faulty. Then i got confirmed. I immediately contacted Flipkart to return product but that option was not found there, so i mailed them and they reverted back stating that they will not be able to take it back as 10 days return period is over.

I researched and found that relay has 1 year warranty, so i contacted seller directly, fortunately he agreed to send new relay to me. He couriered last week only, but dtdc people lost it somewhere, he will send again now.

One thing i forgot to mention that, in between i changed my bulbs to old stock one's to find issue is with kit only or it could be with bulb as well. Same problem found on old bulbs as well, this confirmed me the fault in relay it. Either i have made wrong connections or relay is faulty.

Hi,
Good Job on completing the DIY.
Usually you get a kit where in you don't have to solder anything. It's pluh & play. You also don't have to remove bumper or headlamp.

Wagonr, estilo, Matiz - these cars have tight engine bay, not much room to play around. I have installed the 100/90kit on almost all my previous cars. They last easily a few years.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../23151-my-tata-nano-new-journey-begins-3.html

Top Bottom