Hawk on a Tour to Bangalore: Yercaud - Madurai - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari!

Thread Starter #46
Re: Hawk on a Tour to Bangalore-Yercaud-Madurai-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari!!

Well well well, in Dhanushkodi, we will have to park the car.

And wait for such ferry vans.

Do you know how many sit on these vans 20 inside + many on top.

This vehicle goes with ease and they were demanding 120 initially, later when they dropped the prices it was for 100 rs.

At this time all the other visitors hurried and created a stampede scene [lol].

We were watching them all at a distance.

So when we were waiting a Maxi traveller driver asked us.

He asked 2000 per visit, we just declined.
Then there were other family from Chennai 4 members, and 4 other mebers + we 6 members had a talk, finally we were 14 members on that.

So it was the whole Maxi cab and we left, it was a modified 4WD Maxi cab.

So it was 142 per head, we nodded as it had good seats.

Dhanushkodi was a big town prior to Rameshwaram.

It was a hub to Srilanka, where people had a means to travel to Srilanka without passport till 1964.

1964 was the year a devastated cyclone gulped the whole region.

There was also railways to this place.

There are 2 types of sea here : Male sea(Always roaring), Female sea( Calm but devastating).

In 1964 its said that this female sea shattered the whole region.

There were about 3000 people on that ill fated day, when the cyclone hit badly and 1500 people of Dhanushkodi along with 500 in ship were wiped out totally.

So here are some pics....

Calm female sea
IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg
Ruins of earlier railway quarter
IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg
The ship in those earlier 1960's
IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg
Our ride to the ruins
IMG_0848.jpg
Floating stone
IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg
Sweet well water, just 200 metres from sea.
Height of this well is 15 feet.
IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg
Heard from driver come guide, that the last fighting scene of Tamil Movie Kshatriya was shooted here.
IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

IMG_0895.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

Nice 'detailing' photos.

Rameswaram is yet to see me [;)]

Own 4WDs are allowed upto Dhanushkodi?

Thread Starter #48

Nice 'detailing' photos.

Rameswaram is yet to see me [;)]

Own 4WDs are allowed upto Dhanushkodi?
Own vehicle are allowed i guess, but there are middle men who scare you not to drive own vehicle.

We could see a Safari 4X4 struck in sand and he came back.

But its better to park it and go on the vehicles available there, as the road which they travel they exactly know how to go.
Another thing is one must drive zig-zag with absolute no braking in the middle.
And these drivers know where to cross the sea which has less depth, also one has to keep in mind the vehicles coming from opposite direction, they must leave place, else both will struck.

And last but not the least, it helps prevent vehicle from rusting after travelling in sea water.

Nice travelogue, Mukesh. Looks like you selected Sabaree for 3 different meals. Was it that good?

Beautiful pics of the Meenakashi Temple. Were you able to cover the whole temple?

Few questions on the road condition - How is NH44? What route did you take from Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari? Finally, did you get the Tirunelveli Halwa [:)]?

Thread Starter #50
Re: Hawk on a Tour to Bangalore-Y NHercaud-Madurai-Rameshwaram-Kanyakumari!!

Nice travelogue, Mukesh. Looks like you selected Sabaree for 3 different meals. Was it that good?

Beautiful pics of the Meenakashi Temple. Were you able to cover the whole temple?

Few questions on the road condition - How is NH44? What route did you take from Rameshwaram to Kanyakumari? Finally, did you get the Tirunelveli Halwa [:)]?
Yes Avinash, main thing the hygiene was good at Sabarees.

And i came to know in TN not all Saravana Bhavan are the original one's as in Chennai, Vellore.

Yes it took us 25 mins for darshan, and another 1 hour 15 minutes with the guide.

So we were exhausted.

NH44 is excellent all through.

From Rameshwaram we took the splendid State highway 38, there was lots of deviation, and as the sign boards were only Jilebi's, the route they had shown as Kanyakumari leaded us to city center and again we were deviating to main road.

So this took place until we came out on NH-44 a few kms away from Tuticorn(Toothukudi).

There we stopped for food.

There are no hotels on highways at all.

From there we went to the Tuticorn Harbour, a view at sea after the breakfast, then we took tiruchendur route, rather than Thirunelveli.

As many travellers complained that Thirunelveli route was not good.

So we took that route, which we joined Kanyakumari via Kundankulam(Atomic Nuclear Plant).

That route was full of Wind mill city...

Nope didn't eat halwa...

Thread Starter #51

Contd part of 3rd day @ Rameshwaram:

The hygiene around Dhanush kodi is worst with drainage lurking around.
Atleast to give respect to the former president's home town, they could have improved the city.

But the starting route to dhanushkodi is dirty.

Then we pass through the Gulf of Mannar, Marine National Park, drive slowly on this road guys as there are peacocks which crosses road.

So we were doing a constant 60 kmph to spot one and we did spot one, and once it came to side of road we could click a pic.

IMG_0983.jpg

After Dhanushkodi, we thought to visit Dr.Abdul Kalam's(Former President of India) Museum, in the Muslim street, an ancestral of Dr.Kalam, where Dr.Kalam was brought up in his childhood.

Strictly no camera's allowed here, a few Army personnel are here for security.

It was a nice experience, Documents regarding Kalam’s achievements in the field of missile technology, accolades won by him as President, was displayed on the 1st floor.

Really inspiring there were photos of his achievements in the field of ISRO.

Also the Air Force suit of APJ Kalam in the Aero Show of 2006 was displayed there at the museum.

After that we visited Ramarapadam, where lord Ram had stayed last before conquering Lanka.

There is a Doordarshan TV power up tower, initially we thought it to be light house.

Last set of pics at Dhanushkodi
IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg
Our ride gets struck because of a stupid biker(While returning).
Hero Impulse can make marketing in such conditions.
IMG_0958.jpg
4WD in such state.
IMG_0961.jpg

Attachments

Thread Starter #52

Contd.....

Day 3: Hi folks looks like i bored all you guys with Rameshwaram.

So here goes the trip to Kanyakumari, On Day 3rd early morning left Rameshwaram, around 5 am.

This is the reason we missed Pamban bridge's beauty, the previous night we reached the bridge around sunset 6 pm, and again next day we left 5 am early morning.

So both the time we missed Pamban bridge and the railway track along its sides.

It took us 6 hours 15 mins to Kanyakumari, with a worthwhile stop at Tuticorn(Toothukudi).

For breakfast around 8.30 we were in Tuticorn.

In this stretch to the maximum extent i could use the Cruise control, with less brakes, the route was all through the SH-38.

Only problem was as the sign boards were in Tamil, the route to Kanyakumari was shown only after make you visit the center of city and again come back leading to bypass from the city, that took us 6hours & 15 minutes.

Around 8 am in the morning at the ghastly morning, we couldn't spot a single hotel.

The previous day i had thought to leave to Kanyakumari, immediately after Dhanushkodi, but thank god, we didn't do that, there is no Hotels at all.

And i would have driven without knowing the route only, thank's to Jilebi signboards.

So finally a ray of hope as we saw Tuticorn left 6 kms, we took that route and there comes a church which welcome us, we thought oh no again a small city with no sign of hotel.
We proceed further and it was a one way, i didn't know that, there was no signboard at all, there a guy took us further in that one way and shortcut.

And in TN one way is mentioned on Signal with X mark, not like what we are used to here on sign boards, but as it was still 7.45 am the vehicle was less.

This was the only violation i did without knowing all through the journey.

Thank god we got a good hotel for breakfast.

Then we were Happy, now after food some entertainment , We filled the Hawk's tank too, it was also demanding food you know, yes we thought that was a good idea as we moved further there were no Fuel bunks at all.

From Tuticorn exit, straight leads to Thirunelveli, we took left to harbour by mistake, that mistake we did was good as we went to harbour and also port.

We spent a good 20 minutes at the sea, there were sea foods all across.

We went near the port and stopped near the sea.

Its a worth visit guys.

Previous day @ Rameshwaram Doordarshan power up station
DSC05741.jpg
Leaving Rameshwaram @ 5 am.
IMG_1013.jpg
Stopped for photo @ 6 am
IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg
Entering Tuticorn
IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg
Nearing Harbour
IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg
Hawk posing at the Port sea
IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg
Hawk getting a Free Cadbury's after while following a truck, loved this esp.
IMG_1060.jpg
Cadbury 2
IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

More to Come...........

Thread Starter #53

Contd Day 3:

Looks like all the members are ready to punch me for not reaching Kanyakumari.....

So will continue more on Kanyakumari, as i am just posting with no replies...[confused]

So will summarise, My route details.

Day 1: Bangalore-Jaynagar(5th Block)-BTM Layout-Silk Board Junction-Hosur Road-Salem-Yercaud(Left @ Salem circle)-Madurai(Halt)

Day 2: Madurai-Rameshwaram(SH-38)-Dhanushkodi

Day 3: Rameshwaram-Tuticorn-Tiruchendur-Kundankulam-Kanyakumari

Day 4: Kanyakumari-Karur(Halt for Lunch @ Arunachala)-Salem-Hosur-Bangalore.

So here goes i am cutting down my explanation and pics of on the way to Kanyakumari.

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg
Stopped for Delicious Fruits
IMG_1133.jpg

Before reaching kanyakumari, one has to deviate to a village towards left from the main highway, so we deviated not once while coming from Rameshwaram.

And this lead us to the parallel route of Nagercoil.

So here we reach Kanyakumari .

IMG_1132.jpg

More to come......

Nice pics Mukesh and ur hawk is a beast!! and its the first time i saw ur hawk mud splattered(not too much though but in ur case this qualifies as big!! )

Good set of pics Mukesh..

You gave detailed story & wonderful pics, thats why i'm silently watching your pics..

As I previously said I'm eagerly waiting for Tiruvalluvar rock Pics..

Thread Starter #56

Contd....

Previously posted the route details.

We reached Kanyakumari around 11.30 am, then we paid the toll of 40/- to enter the city.

Thought to halt at Vivekananda Guest house.

There comes a reply Guest House Full, its said that one must book 60 days well in advance.

So we were in search of a good lodge.

We stayed at Boopathi lodge, costed 1800 / day.
It was deluxe room.

We freshened up and then we were proceeding , we came across Sangam Hotel, food was good.

So we rested for an hour and then we headed to Ferry Boat towards Vivekanada Rock Memorial.

Guys please park your car and visit in an Auto, as its hard to find parking.

Again a Diesel Auto, one has to take left near a complex and there you go in a queue to ferry boat.

More about Vivekananda Rock Memorial,

Guys this place is an absolute beauty, with blue sea all around and fresh air.

We spent more than 45 minutes at this place.

There is a Dhyana Mandiram at this place for Meditation.

I never felt to leave such beautiful place.

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1170.jpg
Pathetic Condition of Life Saver Jacket.
IMG_1172.jpg
In search of good one...
IMG_1173.jpg
Mission accomplished !
IMG_1174.jpg
Poet Thiruvallar Statue
DSC05762.jpg

DSC05764.jpg

DSC05765.jpg

DSC05768.jpg

DSC05769.jpg

DSC05770.jpg

DSC05772.jpg

DSC05777.jpg

DSC05779.jpg

DSC05780.jpg

DSC05781.jpg
This is the statue of Swami Vivekananda, Photos strictly prohibited.
But i could click one.

DSC05786.jpg

DSC05843.jpg

More to come....

Thread Starter #57

Nice pics Mukesh and ur hawk is a beast!! and its the first time i saw ur hawk mud splattered(not too much though but in ur case this qualifies as big!! )
Hmm....
Not really Iron Rock(Amith).[glasses]
Good set of pics Mukesh..

You gave detailed story & wonderful pics, thats why i'm silently watching your pics..

As I previously said I'm eagerly waiting for Tiruvalluvar rock Pics..
Thanks Appu, have posted the pics now, still more to come...

Yes Avinash, we spent 1 & half hours at the temple with Guide.

Mukesh,
Atlast you posted KK pics. Was eagerly waiting for this set of pics to appear in your TL for the last 1 week. Very good pics dude.

Where did you pay this 40 Rs toll ? Was this a part of the NH or did you pay somewhere near the Arch, just before Vivekanandapuram ?

You seem to be lucky not to have a serpentine queue for the ferry service. Otherwise, the queue extends upto the hotels on weekends.

I have visited the Vivekananda Rock "n" number of times in my life. Being in Nagercoil, anybody visits us, i would accompany them to the KK trip and believe me everytime, it makes me feel the same.
The ferry service - there were two those days(~ 20 years back) - Bhagirathi and Thamirabarani -looks like both of them are still going strong.

The Dhyana Mandiram, is where Swami Vivekananda had meditated.

Keep it rolling. Waiting for the next set of pics.

Thread Starter #59

Mukesh,
Atlast you posted KK pics. Was eagerly waiting for this set of pics to appear in your TL for the last 1 week. Very good pics dude.
Thanks Hamster for those kind words.
Where did you pay this 40 Rs toll ? Was this a part of the NH or did you pay somewhere near the Arch, just before Vivekanandapuram ?
Yes near the arch only.
You seem to be lucky not to have a serpentine queue for the ferry service. Otherwise, the queue extends upto the hotels on weekends.

I have visited the Vivekananda Rock "n" number of times in my life. Being in Nagercoil, anybody visits us, i would accompany them to the KK trip and believe me everytime, it makes me feel the same.
The ferry service - there were two those days(~ 20 years back) - Bhagirathi and Thamirabarani -looks like both of them are still going strong.
Yes there were 3 boats, one was just halted, other 2 were ferrying people.
Yes we were lucky and at 4pm the Ferry boat service closes, so around 3.15 we made it there, else we would have missed it.
The Dhyana Mandiram, is where Swami Vivekananda had meditated.
Yes we too meditated there for 10 minutes, i think no one allows to click the pic of the idol of Swami Vivekananda, i some how could click it.

The hall is made of full Rose teak wood, was an absolute beauty.

There was also an Sun Calendar.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #60

Ok here goes my final post and experiences in Kanyakumari.

The rock memorial of Swami Vivekananda has the temple of Kanyakumari just opposite to the memorial.

Where in there is a foot print of Goddess Kanyakumari.

This place is clean and the blue sea would really mesmerise you to the beauty of nature.

Attachments

Top Bottom