Hatchback For Around Rs.7 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Automatic Hatchback For Around Rs.6 Lacs

My fiance is looking for a car. She is still learning to drive so she prefers a frugal, safe, reliable and easy to drive car. Monthly running would be under 600kms

Requirements: (MUST HAVE)

• Price around 6L on road (a little can be stretched but cannot go near 7L mark.
  • Must be automatic (CVT, AGS anything without a manual gearbox)
  • Reliability and spare parts availability for atleast 10 years (we develop sentimental values to our wheels, my father's primary commuter is 27 years old now)
  • ABS and driver side airbags must be there
Optional:
  • Passenger side airbag

1. Maruti Suzuki Celerio VXI (O) AGS @ 5.01L Ex showroom
felt too basic, heard about gearbox issues in maruti cars (synchronizer or something)

2. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R VXI Plus AMT(O) @ 5.35L ex showroom
Liked its tall sitting position but feels too basic and heard about gearbox issues in maruti cars

3. Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 Kappa VTVT Magna AT (exceeds budget of 6L)

4. Nissan micra petrol
Although i have heard nissan might discontinue this. (her parents already own manual version of micra)

Any more options? I have been living in a cave since last 7-8 years so i have absolutely no idea about cars meeting her needs. Please advice.
Which one is reliable? CVT or AGS?

Re: Automatic hatchback for around 6 lacs

My fiance is looking for a car. She is still learning to drive so she prefers a frugal, safe, reliable and easy to drive car. Monthly running would be under 600kms

Requirements: (MUST HAVE)

• Price around 6L on road (a little can be stretched but cannot go near 7L mark.
  • Must be automatic (CVT, AGS anything without a manual gearbox)
  • Reliability and spare parts availability for atleast 10 years (we develop sentimental values to our wheels, my father's primary commuter is 27 years old now)
  • ABS and driver side airbags must be there
Optional:
  • Passenger side airbag

1. Maruti Suzuki Celerio VXI (O) AGS @ 5.01L Ex showroom
felt too basic, heard about gearbox issues in maruti cars (synchronizer or something)

2. Maruti Suzuki Wagon R VXI Plus AMT(O) @ 5.35L ex showroom
Liked its tall sitting position but feels too basic and heard about gearbox issues in maruti cars

3. Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 Kappa VTVT Magna AT (exceeds budget of 6L)

4. Nissan micra petrol
Although i have heard nissan might discontinue this. (her parents already own manual version of micra)

Any more options? I have been living in a cave since last 7-8 years so i have absolutely no idea about cars meeting her needs. Please advice.
Which one is reliable? CVT or AGS?
TD tiago AMT, it falls in your budget, check the (O) options if you need more.

Check out the Ignis delta AMT if you can stretch your budget to 6.5 lakhs . It is a much better car than Wagon R and Celerio.

kkn13

Suspended

Ignis AMT, Grand i10 AT have best engines , both engines are well proven, resale,reliability and maintenance is also unmatched for now

CVT is certainly better but Grand i10 AT is a torque converter and easily the best

AMT is hit or miss in general, none of my friends have issues so far with Ignis and Wagon R but I still would go in for CVT/Torque converter instead
This issue is not specific to Maruti since all AMT units are from the same manufacturer Magnetti Marelli , owned by Fiat/FCA

If you have the budget, Baleno CVT or Grand i10 is a no brainer

Honestly if you want to keep your car for so long, go for a proven option with no compromise
Stretch budget if you must imho, AMT is too experimental and jerky

Thread Starter #6

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys. Will see if she can stretch her budget for baleno (highly unlikely)

I had read about grand i10 torque converter and that it has only 4 speed gearbox. Is 4 speed GB a deal breaker? considering she probably wouldn't exceed 100-110kph even in highways. Would drive mostly in city.

One more thing. The only reason she doesn't want a manual car is because jerky clutch engagement/disengagement. She gets confused with pedal inputs. and driving issues when car is stationary in upward slope. Does AGS suffer from same problems?

Easy of driving is primary concern for her.

kkn13

Suspended

Yes AGS has issues with inclines
Grand i10 torque converter is a bit old but very reliable and very good for city traffic

Another option is the Brio, 1.2 IVTEC is very rev happy and comes with a 5 speed torque converter
These two transmissions are very hassle free compared to AMT

AMT/AGS has no comparison to a good torque converter or CVT box

Though Baleno CVT is the best AT in this range if you can
Else theres always Grand i10 and Brio

Last edited:
Re: Automatic Hatchback For Around Rs.6 Lacs

Grand i 10 AT even in its current highest Sports trim doesn't have ABS and Airbags. so that may be a deal breaker if safety is paramount for you.
its a matter of getting adjusted to the AMT. the Celerio ZxI AMT (Option) <which i also own> is a pretty decent package, contains ABS+ 2 airbags and other decent creature comforts. so, on the budget u have its either the Celerio or the Tiago. TD them both and get a feel. Incline starts can be managed by hand brake, so its not too much of a deal breaker, however this is where the TC of i10 is better than AMT, however sadly doesnt have any safety features in its current offering.

kkn13

Suspended

Grand i10 DOES comes with Airbags in AT variant but no ABS
But its certainly safer than the likes of the Celerio and ABS isnt needed for City use
since ABS does NOT engage in speeds below 50-60 in most cars

AMT has no take on other transmissions, its simply a step up from manual for city traffic

I had a friend's Wagon R AMT for 1.5 month while awaiting delivery of my other car
AMT was jerky, slow to respond and only good for bumper to bumper

But still take a TD on all conditions including inclines etc

Id say Brio AT or Grand i10 AT are better buys from what I TD

Last edited:

I stand corrected on the Airbags part of the Grand i10, however owning an AMT, having driven a CVT and even a DCT, agree that the AMT is the more rudimentary Automatic (if you can call it that or a semi-auto), however if you are someone shopping for an automatic on a budget and are willing to look over the occasional jerkiness (depends on driving style and driver calibration over time), it can give you some peace of mind in the ever maddening city traffic. Also the AMT replacements (if & when they come - clutch mainly) are more pocket friendly unlike perhaps a DCT.

Of course, no comparison to the smoothness of a TC or CVT or the lightning quick shifts of a DCT.

I think it all depends on what ticks one's boxes, I am happy that there is at least an option out there for a budget automatic buyer without burning a hole in one's pocket.

Grand i10 DOES comes with Airbags in AT variant but no ABS
But its certainly safer than the likes of the Celerio and ABS isnt needed for City use
since ABS does NOT engage in speeds below 50-60 in most cars

AMT has no take on other transmissions, its simply a step up from manual for city traffic

I had a friend's Wagon R AMT for 1.5 month while awaiting delivery of my other car
AMT was jerky, slow to respond and only good for bumper to bumper

But still take a TD on all conditions including inclines etc

Id say Brio AT or Grand i10 AT are better buys from what I TD

kkn13

Suspended

I stand corrected on the Airbags part of the Grand i10, however owning an AMT, having driven a CVT and even a DCT, agree that the AMT is the more rudimentary Automatic (if you can call it that or a semi-auto), however if you are someone shopping for an automatic on a budget and are willing to look over the occasional jerkiness (depends on driving style and driver calibration over time), it can give you some peace of mind in the ever maddening city traffic. Also the AMT replacements (if & when they come - clutch mainly) are more pocket friendly unlike perhaps a DCT.

Of course, no comparison to the smoothness of a TC or CVT or the lightning quick shifts of a DCT.

I think it all depends on what ticks one's boxes, I am happy that there is at least an option out there for a budget automatic buyer without burning a hole in one's pocket.
True, Im just saying, if one is in the market for an AT, AMT should be only included for budget reasons, else a good TC or CVT cant be beaten
That said, AMT is probably my choice over DCT/DSG citing reliability issues of the latter

Had Figo had an AMT instead of DCT, that would have been my car of choice

I am not sure how much your fiancé is going to manage more in budget. But if you are looking for autotranny then Nissan XV CVT always comes to my mind. The model is being sold widely, when people go for automatic with budget up to 7 lakhs.

Its a proven machine with CVT. Due to good numbers for sales figure [not comparing with other brands] for this model typically from long term, so spares wouldn't be a problem.

Also this car is EURO NCAP 4 star rated car, so thinking of SAFETY FIRST Nissan could be a option.

Better car for woman,
- ABS EBD, 2 Airbags
- compact yet powerful
- CVT
- rain sensing wipers, auto headlamp, LEAD ME TO CAR FEATURE
- start/stop button, key less entry [specially useful for woman when key is kept in bags]
- LED tail lamps
- spacious cabin
- 250L boot space
- Power adjust power fold ORVM
- steering control
- 6.2 touch screen - optional
- LOTS of colors to choose [;)]

and lot more...

kkn13

Suspended

I am not sure how much your fiancé is going to manage more in budget. But if you are looking for autotranny then Nissan XV CVT always comes to my mind. The model is being sold widely, when people go for automatic with budget up to 7 lakhs.

Its a proven machine with CVT. Due to good numbers for sales figure [not comparing with other brands] for this model typically from long term, so spares wouldn't be a problem.

Also this car is EURO NCAP 4 star rated car, so thinking of SAFETY FIRST Nissan could be a option.

Better car for woman,
- ABS EBD, 2 Airbags
- compact yet powerful
- CVT
- rain sensing wipers, auto headlamp, LEAD ME TO CAR FEATURE
- start/stop button, key less entry [specially useful for woman when key is kept in bags]
- LED tail lamps
- spacious cabin
- 250L boot space
- Power adjust power fold ORVM
- steering control
- 6.2 touch screen - optional
- LOTS of colors to choose [;)]

and lot more...
True but Renault-Nissan is a bit stagnant in India right now
Captur is very so-so
So a bit risky for him to buy Nissan right now imho even though its one of the best cars in this segment
Thats why I didnt recommend him Nissan Micra

Thread Starter #14
Hi Guys,

I had previously opened a thread last year,
Automatic Hatch for 6L

However, i managed to persuade her to postpone car purchase for 1 year and against automatic transmission. I guess this warrants a new thread since previous thread was strictly about automatic cars.

> Your Budget: around 7L on road
> New or Used: New
> Your Location: Lucknow
> Top Five Priorities: Safety, VFM, Fun to drive, Features, Good long term ownership
> Monthly Running: can vary between 1200KM to 2000KM
> Type of Fuel: Diesel (only in case of Ford figo/freestyle) else petrol
> For What Purpose: Regular use and long trips twice a year
> Seating Capacity: 4
> Type of Segment: Any will do

Some essential information:
Things that cannot be compromised:
1. Reliability (i believe all cars below mentioned are equally reliable)
2. Long term ownership and spare parts availability
3. Safety (airbags + ABS is a must) along with good structure to keep occupants safe

Things that will be appreciated
1. Reverse parking sensor/camera
2. Keyless entry
3. Bluetooth connectivity and steering mounted audio
4. Fun to drive engine

Cars considered so far:

Suzuki Baleno petrol (her choice)
For:
1. Trust in maruti brand
2. High sales volume so service and spares will be available for next 10 years or so.
3. Feature loaded middle variants
Against:
1. I am skeptical about its safety, it has good crash test rating but internet stories say otherwise.

Ford figo Ambiante: (diesel only)
For:
1. Excellent fun to drive diesel engine (only thing that pushed it in this list)
Against:
1. From where should i start, No ABS in base/Ambiante variants, (Optional in Ambiante)
2. lacks features, No tachometer, No rear power windows
3. Ford's low sales volume

Hyundai Elite i20 magna/sportz (petrol)

For:
1. Premium build and image
Against:
1. Expensive
2. Petrol engine is boring

Honda amaze S (petrol)
For:
1. Nothing, No idea why this is even considered, maybe because its a sedan
Against:
1. Nothing

Ford freestyle diesel (base or trend if budget can be streched)

For:
1. Excellent Diesel engine
2. Looks
3. Feature loaded Trend variant
Against:
1. Low sales volume of ford
2. Why not buy a figo and save a few thousand/Kilos in weight

Haven't considered offerings from mahindra and tata for their brand image, toyota liva for its bland looks and boring engine, i10 for its outdated looks (although it packs a lot of featuers) and swift for lack of trust in suzuki and it feels overpriced.

Please suggest what'd be the best choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hatchback for around 7L

If Diesel ...close your eyes and go for Punto.

If Petrol .... Jazz/I20. Check by yourself before buying.

Top Bottom