Gymkhana - The Extreme Motorsport!

Thread Starter #1
Gymkhana is a type of motor sport practiced in Canada, Japan, the United States, the United Kingdom, Scandinavia, and South Africa. Similar to autocross, gymkhana courses are often very complex and memorizing the course is a significant part of achieving a fast time.

Gymkhana events are time and/or speed events in an automobile. These can feature obstacles such as cones, tires, and barrels. The driver must maneuver through a predetermined "track" performing many different driving techniques. What separates gymkhana from traditional autocross events is that the gymkhana requires drivers to perform reversals, 180 degree spins, 360 degree spins, parking boxes, figure 8s and other advanced skills. Drifting is also encouraged where helpful or necessary. Essentially, a gymkhana is any event featuring a starting point, a finish line and some sort of "obstacle" to get through, around, or by, all within a time limit. The driver's goal is to get through the course as quickly as possible with the fewest number of mistakes. Acceleration, braking, drifting & grip driving are all necessary. Not only does the driver have to hold control over his/her car, but gymkhana requires strong mental concentration and memorization.

What make this sport much attractive is the some of its rules such as:

• engine must be stock
  • no chassis stiffening enhancements
  • stock suspension
With following acceptable modifications
  • aftermarket wheels
  • limited slip differential
  • drop in air filter
  • brake pads
  • shocks (but not coils)
  • clutch disc
  • cat-back exhaust (exiting near OEM location)

But again, this depends up on the category of car being used. Read more on that at Gymkhana (motorsport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hold your breath and take a look at the following video:

YouTube - Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l'Autodrome, France

Last edited:
When I read the title, I thought the thread had something to do with our Indian "Elite" Clubs, or Gymkhanas!

Anyway, nice sport.

350Z

Core Team
Shynish, Thanks for posting that informative article. I did some research on Gymkhana while writing another article. If I’m not mistaken, this is one of the most affordable as well as exciting means of automotive sport which one can enjoy. However, like other motor-sports, risks are always involved. I think Maruti Suzuki every year organizes Auto-cross at Noida which is similar to this, quite eagerly willing to participate once it is held again.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Must be good fun even to watch!

Thanks for sharing with us Shynish! Thats some cool drifting and skilled driving i have ever seen , especially he circling that cyclist and also those several 360 spins in the wet road. And whoa his rear tyres were worn out completely producing sparks in the final 360 spin!

The Gymkhana is now more famous mainly of because of - Ken Block. He is really just a class of its own when it comes to car control.

EDIT: i just saw this vid and wow! ken block at his best!

Last edited:

Arun

Suspended
Ahh! Ken Block. I remember how he scared James May to death!

But the whole concept isn't quite valid in India. The Auto-Cross held my Maruti is a mere test of posting a good lap time. Gymkhana is about showing of your skills!

Seriously man? You dont know Ken Block? He is the man with probably the best car control ever. He is driving in both the videos posted here!

Even i came to know of Ken Block only after playing Dirt-2 game!:tongue: He drives a similarly modified car in the game.

Even i din get what Arun and Arkin mentioned.

Top Bottom