Guide On Getting Your Car Registered Yourself with RTO

Thanks to AKS_HYD I also got my car registration done myself.

I reached Khairatabad RTO office by 10 and was standing in the queue at ground floor to get the documents verified and collect tokens. I waited for 5 mins and then a police man came and asked all the new car registration guys to form a separate line near the stairs. He asked us to keep the documents in the following order.

1. Form 20 - Original
2. Form 21 - Original
3. Form 22- Original
4. Temporary Registration Certificate - Original
5. E-Seva Tax Reciept - Original
6. Invoice - Original
7. Address Proof - Copy
8. Pan Card - Copy
9. Date of Birth - Copy
10. Insurance - Copy

He asked us to sign the Form 20 documents and write phone number on the front page. (In case you have taken a loan then you will have to carry two Form 20 documents. The additional Form 20 will be given by your bank)

Then he asked us to go to the second floor counter number 14/15. There I have paid fee of Rs. 625/- and my documents were verified and a reciept is given.(The guy there checks whether you have any other vehicle on your name as we will have to pay 14% road tax instead of 12% for secong vehicle).After this I was asked to go to another counter where my digital signature was captured. Then I was asked to go to my vehicle for inspection (near the tree where all new vehicles are parked).

All this process took hardly 30 minutes. Now comes the tough part.

I was asked to take the Chassis number print on Form 20.This, as per me, is the most toughest task. This number (for my fluidic verna) is at the floor of the driver's seat. I was not able to take exact print and messed the form little bit as well. I did as much as I could and called the inspector . He said that's fine and asked me to read the chassis number from the car and he compared it with the documents and signed it. I submitted the documents at the counter under that tree and was told that I will get the number by evening 6.

I checked the website Welcome To AP Transport Department India at 6 and there it is, my new number [:)]. I recieved the smart card after 2 days.

Following are the important points to be remembered to make this process smooth.
1. Please arrange your forms as per the order mentioned and keep the documents signed and ready.
2. Please carry fee amount in correct denomination and keep some spare change in various denominations.
3. Please be at the RTO office by 10 A.M.
4. Please carry pen,pencil and a water bottle.
5. Be polite with everyone and they respond well.
6. If possible please visit the RTO office a day before to know the process. There is always a chance that things might have changed [:)]

Good luck.

-Harish.

Last edited:
if i want to do the registration on my own then whats the total expenses?i mean only 600rs is the cost?because For wagon r lxi cng, my dealer is telling me that registration charges are around 25000 /- .can anybody give me its break up? Or the dealer is cheating on me? It is asking for 15000 for insurance? Again I want this break up too. Or how did he come to this figure? Is there any %figure decided for insurance and registration on ex showroom price? If yes then let me know the %figure.

I am looking forward to buy a car soon. I am also contemplating to register it on my own? What is the total cost of this registration post as dealers quote Rs. 25000 to 35000 based the cost of the car? Please someone reply.

Thanks for the detailed information. The process was as simple as described. I registered my car today at Khairatabad RTA. The post saved me 900 bucks !!

Thanks again, and hope many more of us take guidance.

Additional points I encountered:

Taking chasis no. print would be difficult for some. You should be well aware of the location, and preferable have someone to do it (if you cannot bend to take the imprint 4 times !)

It took me exactly 25 minutes for the whole process.

Thanks again !! Cheers

Hi Aks Hyd,
Hats off to you for doing the unthinkable & in such a fluid lucid manner. I'm going to take a print & keep it with me for future ref of friends/relatives. I'm really happy for you that things worked out so well wihout any sort of glitch. It goes to show that even in a place like our country, the public machinery does work if you want it to. [thumbsup]
Cheers
jazzy
Don't try this at Kolkata.[;)]

For my Figo, I had sent the peon to collect the smart card with authorization letter etc. and he came back with the news that someone else had collected it. I thought that may be the dealer did. Inquired with them and they did not.
No one could tell where my Smart card went, with the dealer saying its with PVD and PVD person telling someone has taken delivery from the dealer and its not with them. Some even advised me to apply for a second time citing it was lost.
A Rs.200/- bribe through a local agent and it turned out with PVD after all.

A very similar thing is happening with the passport office too. Though there is a online system, it is rigged and you will never get an appointment. However the agent at my office claims he can get schedule an appointment given Rs.2.5K processing charge. I feel the earlier system was much better, you had to spend a day standing in line but atleast the work got done.

I am awaiting the delivery of storme in Hyderabad. Now, my dealer is quoting 3000 for registration. I guess I can same those 1000 odd rupees and spend them of some styling for my beast.

Also any idea on what is price for getting a specific number like all digits totalling upto 9 or 3. double digits etc? In the normal process if we go, do we get a choice for the number?

350Z

Core Team
How to save on Regn+Road Tax when buying from dealership?

I am planning to buy Tata Manza Club Class Diesel VX. All Tata dealers says arnd 47.5k for 5 yr Road Tax + Registration. cardekho.com shows the same as arnd 23k. This is a difference of whooping 24.5k. This thread I am throwing to discuss about how to save us from this scam? Yes, I do feel it as a scam.

The attachmed one (showing calculation of Regn+Road Tax) I extracted by googling and may be a bit old, may not be old as well. I took my time to go through the document and calculate the Regn+Tax. Surprisingly, the Regn+Tax I calculated comes as arnd 21k.

I talked to many dealers (Tata, Maruti, Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota etc etc) saying that I would buy from them if and only if I am allowed to registration myself. But they all disagreed!!!! (please set aside the question why I asked non-Tata dealers when I would buy a Tata vehicle, did it as a part of my car finalization process).

Can I buy the vehicle from a dealer far from my home but inside West Bengal (I live in Kolkata)? I haven't yet talked to any of such dealers, but I hope that they would ask me to go for Temporary Regn (the steal by dealer will be much less since Temporary Regn would cost arnd 4.5 K when done through dealer), then go for Registration+Road Tax by myself. Hope Temporary Regn doesn't include Road Tax (correct me if I am wrong).

If going for Road Tax + Regn by myself is of toooooooo much headache, I'll get it done by a local motor training school who would typically ask for 2k extra for doing this job.

Including all my travels and headaches for this non-conventional path, I would surely save 17k+ (a big money which can be used for buying accessories/put in bank for rainy days [evil] ).

Please discuss and suggest me.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sambit,

First congrats on deciding your car. I have been following your other thread.

The ex-showroom for Manza QJT VX at Kolkata is 747,432. (As per TATA Manza Website).

The document which you have attached is an old way of calculating taxes in WB. Circa 2012, WB has moved to % basis road taxes. I am attaching the two documents which states so.

I hope you are dealing with KB Motors/RD Motors/Lexus Motors. Please ask a break up of this 47.5 K from them. To me it seems to me LTT and not 5 years tax. Please note this fees include Road Tax+ Regn Charges+ HSRP Charges + handling charges by dealer(if any).

Please post back with your findings.

Cheers,
Anshuman

Attachments

Hi Anshuman,

Thanks a lot for your valuable attachment. It would be great if you kindly comment whether I should got for 5-yr tax or LTT. I plan to keep the car for 10 yrs.

Hi Anshuman,

Thanks a lot for your valuable attachment. It would be great if you kindly comment whether I should got for 5-yr tax or LTT. I plan to keep the car for 10 yrs.
I would advise you to go for LTT as its cheaper in the long run and resale also would be better.

So could you solve the mystery why dealers are charging more?

I would advise you to go for LTT as its cheaper in the long run and resale also would be better.
Thanks a lot. I was also thinking that LTT would be better since I plan to keep the car for long time, but was getting confused by Dealer Salespeople who always advise for 5yr Tax (but they have no problem if I go for LTT as well).

I will go for LTT then.

So could you solve the mystery why dealers are charging more?
Dealers charge around 2.5k-3.0k extra for Road-Tax + Regn. They say that it's for their work they have to do in RTO, also includes driver's cost for driving the car to RTO and getting the same back, fuel cost etc. They are ready to write that on their letterhead as well with all the breakups. As per my discussion with all the dealer salespeople, they also put a portion as processing fee (in the breakup they will write as "Processing Fee" only) which typically includes off-paper bribes to paid to RTO officials as well (they can tell this bribe story verbally but can't write on their letterhead).

If I go for Temp Regn, I'll loose more than that along with I'll end up in running into the headache of getting my car registered. So always better to be done by Dealer.

Last edited:
Dealers charge around 2.5k-3.0k extra for Road-Tax + Regn. They say that it's for their work they have to do in RTO, also includes driver's cost for driving the car to RTO and getting the same back, fuel cost etc. They are ready to write that on their letterhead as well with all the breakups. As per my discussion with all the dealer salespeople, they also put a portion as processing fee (in the breakup they will write as "Processing Fee" only) which typically includes off-paper bribes to paid to RTO officials as well (they can tell this bribe story verbally but can't write on their letterhead).

If I go for Temp Regn, I'll loose more than that along with I'll end up in running into the headache of getting my car registered. So always better to be done by Dealer.
Ok, good that you have decided. What is the LTT amount. Dealers usually charge upto 5k extra all over India , all brands as handling charges. These are nothing but some fees for RTO and fees for Babus[:D]

When are you getting the car ? Open a new ownership thread.

Ok, good that you have decided. What is the LTT amount. Dealers usually charge upto 5k extra all over India , all brands as handling charges. These are nothing but some fees for RTO and fees for Babus[:D]

When are you getting the car ? Open a new ownership thread.
I have taken quotations from 5 dealers in Kolkata/Howrah and Kharagpur. Lexus Motors gave the best deal and also they have written everything on their letterhead so that all horrible stories of false promises I can surely avoid.
They quoted 80k for LTT + Registration (all others were quoting from 81k-85k).

I have booked the car on 7-Dec-13.

I have gone for Nov, 2013 car to be registered in Jan, 2014 to mark as my new year gift to myself.

Once the car arrives, I'll surely update the Aftermarket Reviews thread to update my accessories buying experience and open a new thread for new ownership.

Last edited:

Top Bottom