Guide: Know Your Car’s Instrument Cluster Warning Lights

@ 350Z and Sam Dinakar You got his third question wrong. I think you referred to the engine idling time.
Thanks for pointing out. As you correctly said, after turning on the ignition:

(a) In a diesel engine, some of the lights would go off and the rest would remain on. When the former lights go off, it's time to crank the engine.

(b) In a petrol engine, all lights would remain on and the there would be a faint 'whirrrrrrrrrr' of the fuel pump followed by a faint 'click'. The engine could be started after this 'click' sound is heard. Alternatively, one could wait for around 3 seconds after turning on the ignition in a petrol engine and then crank the engine to life.

Thanks again.

Nicks - My apologies for the misinterpretation.

guys today i have faced strange problem in my Fiesta Diesel as one of the dashboard warning light start glowing sudenly and its like orange parking break signal(!) blink for 5-6 km and then after i stopped for some shoping but then after everything is normal.pls help me to unerstand the problem and what does that signal enotes?

Dashboard Warning Light in Ford Fiesta Diesel

guys today i have faced strange problem in my Fiesta Diesel as one of the dashboard warning light start glowing suddenly and its like orange parking break signal(!) blink for 5-6 km and then after i stopped for some shopping and then after everything is normal.pls help me to understand the problem and what does that signal denotes?[frustration]

OD means in vitz

hey guys
can anyone plz tell what does OD means in vitz...and when car starts then is it automatically ON or OFF..

Re: OD means in vitz

hey guys
can anyone plz tell what does OD means in vitz...and when car starts then is it automatically ON or OFF..
hey buddy welcome to tai! well od stands for overdrive. wiki has very good answer -

In simple terms, overdrive is the final/cruising gear. It reduces the power output by lowering the gear ratio. The overdrive mechanism increases fuel efficiency, and saves strain on the transmission and the drive train. When the vehicle is started the overdrive is always on, but it can be turned off by a switch button, which is often located on the shifter. Turning the overdrive off will prevent the vehicle from shifting into the overdrive when traveling at the speed of around 40 MPH. It is recommended that the overdrive is constantly on under normal driving conditions. It should be turned off when, for example, hauling heavy loads or going up a long gradual incline.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_overdrive

Help needed!!

I was driving swift petrol last night and saw the engine oil (yellow) indicator blink for sometime. Went away after like 10 minutes.

Now that the indicator is not blinking anymore, would it be fine to drive at least till weekend when I get time?

guys today i have faced strange problem in my Fiesta Diesel as one of the dashboard warning light start glowing suddenly and its like orange parking break signal(!) blink for 5-6 km and then after i stopped for some shopping and then after everything is normal.pls help me to understand the problem and what does that signal denotes?[frustration]
This is a parking brake engaged+low brake oil warning combination light. Could be 2 possible reasons
1) The parking brake lever was not stowed properly back to disengaged position and the switch might be in some position that due to small vibrations it pop'd up for a second and pushed back in again.
2) Most important and quickly to address is Brake oil low. Monitor for another 1-2 days and check if the light comes on again refrain yourself from taking long drives.

Help needed!!

I was driving swift petrol last night and saw the engine oil (yellow) indicator blink for sometime. Went away after like 10 minutes.

Now that the indicator is not blinking anymore, would it be fine to drive at least till weekend when I get time?
I think it should be. Just monitor and take her for inspection over the weekend.

(b) In a petrol engine, all lights would remain on and the there would be a faint 'whirrrrrrrrrr' of the fuel pump followed by a faint 'click'. The engine could be started after this 'click' sound is heard. .......
This is now applicable to the swift/ritz d series also. I hear the fuel pump cutting in and hear the "click" when it cuts off.It may be the same for other diesels as well.

(3) Engine Oil Level:

Cause: The oil level symbol is extremely important and should never be ignored because it tells about your car’s engine oil state. Please turn off your car immediately if you notice this icon lit while the car is running. Check the engine oil and pressure level, top-up when low but if not and icon still illuminates, seek for prompt assistance.
Safe to Drive? Yes (Immediate check-up recommended)

How is it safe to drive if the OIL LEVEL light is lit.I feel it may cause the engine to seize if the oil levels are dangerously low.

Last edited:
(3) Engine Oil Level:

How is it safe to drive if the OIL LEVEL light is lit.I feel it may cause the engine to seize if the oil levels are dangerously low.
I know that low engine oil can lead to engine seizure. What brought up the confusion was that the engine oil light was not anymore in display after around 10 mins. Any thoughts?

Vw vento warning symbol

Request all VW Vento owners to kindly help identify the warning symbol in the pictures attached. The warning symbol is encircled using yellow rings.[confused]

Attachments

Top Bottom