Guide: How To Quickly Replace a Punctured Tyre

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
flat-tyre.JPG
(Photograph of a flat tyre.)

If engine is a soul of the car, then tyres are its legs without which it can never travel. The tyre(s) of a car can puncture any time and at any place, that too without any prior indications. So, replacing them is one of the basic DIYs a driver must always know about. This pictorial step-by-step guide presented by The Automotive India will help you learn to replace a flat tyre only within few minutes through a very straight-forward way. Just read on.

stepney-wheel.JPG
(Image showing car's stepney. Typically consists of a spare wheel, jack and wrench.)

Step One:
Immediately park the car at corner of street as soon as you are hinted about the flat tyre. Do not ever keep driving as it may cause a severe fatality if you happen to lose the control over your car and also it may damage the rims / rubber too. Turn off the engine once parked safely, pull on the handbrake lever and switch on the hazard warning lamps (All side indicators). Now take out the necessary tools which are generally provided along with all brand new cars. Jack, spare wheel, wrench, emergency triangle to name a few. Place the emergency triangle away at reasonable distance from your car to signal other motorists.

car-jack-tool-kit.JPG
(A close look at Jack and Wrench.)

Step Two:
We’ll now begin to perform the actual task. But before moving further ahead, make sure that there is no disturbance inside your car. That is, inform other passengers to de-board from the vehicle. Especially, children and pets should never be allowed. Hold the wrench and start loosening the wheel nuts to sufficient limit so that you can unscrew them from hands later on.

unscrew-flat-tyre.JPG
(The half-screwed wheel.)

Step Three:
Once all the nuts have become loose, it’s time to lift the car with help of car jack. Thanks to technology, you don’t need to be a heavy weight champion to perform this. Position the Jack at appropriate position beneath the car body. Please consult your car’s manual for exact detail because the location might vary in some cars. It’s important to note that placing the jack on incorrect position can damage the car. Once you’re confirmed about the location, slowly rotate the shaft. You’ll observe the car lifting upwards. Keep doing this until reaching a reasonable limit, which should be neither too high, nor too low.

Step Four:
Let us return back to the Step-Two. Since we already have loosened nuts, they can be easily removed from the hands. Keep them in a safe place or inside your pocket and gently pull the wheel towards yourself. Now, bring the spare wheel and insert it into position the same way as you did you to pull out the wheel. Now screw back those nuts with hand as much tight as possible.

screwing-new-tyre-nuts.JPG
(After placing spare wheel, gently screw back with hands and lift down.)

changing-punctured-tyre.JPG
(Behind the scenes...I mean the wheels.)

Step Five:
Again, Hold the jack rod and rotate the other way round and continue doing same until becomes free for movement. Congratulations! Finally the major part is over. Now all you need is to screw back those nuts (that you stiffen manually with hands). Pop in the wrench one by one on each screw so that it’s horizontal in position (as shown in image below). Due to this, you can tighten it with help of leg-power which usually works better than hands – at the end – to stay on the safer side, it’s better to re-confirm the tightness with another passenger on board. Tada! Your car’s flat tyre has been successfully replaced. As you become more experienced and depending upon the quickness levels, this is not a matter of more than ten minutes. Good luck. [thumbsup]

new-tyre-fit.JPG
(Keep the wrench horizontal so that you can use a bit of leg power.)

new-and-old-tyres.JPG
(Easily Distinguished. The new and old wheel.)

spare-wheel.JPG
(Unscrew this hook to take out the spare wheel from boot.)

Disclaimer:

• Always be patient. Never begin to unscrew nuts after lifting the car.

• Do not allow the kids to replace the wheel of your car.

• Do remember to keep the spare wheel in perfect shape always.

• Spare wheel is meant for emergency purposes and must be used as is. Try repairing the flat tyre as soon as possible and put it back in place of replaced wheel.

• Never allow passengers, especially children and pets to stay inside the car while the tyre is being replaced.

• Whilst replacing the tyres, do not allow people to touch or use your car for support.

• It’s always better to confirm twice after screwing the new wheel with another person.

• This article is a property of The Automotive India (C) 2011. Do NOT copy elsewhere without written permission of our authorities.

good points. I have changed the tire once. it is much harder with 16" alloys with bigger tyres than in the 800 but yes, I find it fun!

Very useful thread, and like always excellent write up[thumbsup].

I never had a flat tire while on a journey, however i had of couple of air leak issue with my Honda City due to which almost every day i had to do this exercise which i gradually started enjoying.

Good article again 350Z. One point i would like to add is try to avoid parking in a slope and changing the wheel. But if its unavoidable then keep stones firmly behind the wheels which are at ground.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
good points. I have changed the tire once. it is much harder with 16" alloys with bigger tyres than in the 800 but yes, I find it fun!
That is correct. Ask Mastersquall, He has better experience of replacing Safari’s. :smile:

Very useful thread, and like always excellent write up.

I never had a flat tire while on a journey, however i had of couple of air leak issue with my Honda City due to which almost every day i had to do this exercise which i gradually started enjoying.
Thanks, Akash.

Good article again 350Z. One point i would like to add is try to avoid parking in a slope and changing the wheel. But if its unavoidable then keep stones firmly behind the wheels which are at ground.
Excellent point. Thanks for highlighting. Something I skipped to mention above.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I was lucky enough with my cars till date. My 800dx 5 speed had one puncture after usage of 3.5 yrs and my alto's tire was ripped off (don't know how) after using it for 3 yrs. Till date no punctures in my i10 after clocking 24k kms so far.

i was overtaking a truck when i ran over a hole with a sharp stone in it bursting my right side tyres . i had tough time changing the tyres they were difficult to put in the exact spot .

Informative post as usual by 350Z [thumbsup]

I had a point to add. Once have experienced a flat tyre during night drive on a highway! Luckily we were travelling in a group of 3 cars and my friend's car was right behind me. So we pulled over to the side and changed the tyres with the help of my friend's car headlight. It was pitch dark and visibility was almost ZERO! even today i wonder what would have been the case if i was not in a group [roll]

Since then i always make it a point to carry a decent powered TORCH in the glove box. Please friends make this a habit, we never know when it will be needed!

Very informative thread 350Z. Could you also please add details about fixing a puncture on a tubeless tyres? Things like those gums they use to pierce, using a needle. How much does the entire kit cost?

Very informative thread 350Z. Could you also please add details about fixing a puncture on a tubeless tyres? Things like those gums they use to pierce, using a needle. How much does the entire kit cost?
I think it costs somewhere around 750/- not sure.

Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
I had a point to add. Once have experienced a flat tyre during night drive on a highway! Luckily we were travelling in a group of 3 cars and my friend's car was right behind me. So we pulled over to the side and changed the tyres with the help of my friend's car headlight. It was pitch dark and visibility was almost ZERO! even today i wonder what would have been the case if i was not in a group. Since then i always make it a point to carry a decent powered TORCH in the glove box. Please friends make this a habit, we never know when it will be needed!
My car has a habit of troubling with occasional punctures. Have not yet faced any at night thankfully, but another helpful advice. Thanks for sharing. We’ll post something on similar lines soon.

Thanks, Avindu. This thread should help you: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/629-tubeless-tyres-repairing-punctures.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Sigh had the first puncture in my new tyre already! But have to admit this thread was handy for me changing the tyres quickly!

Top Bottom