Guide: How To Drive and Maintain a Diesel Car?

Re: is less use of Diesel car can affect engine life ?

Hi All

I have an Ertiga VDi with 24k in ODO & from last 2 months i rarely manage to drive it as i am going office in office cab. Most of time i will drive it in weekends for 5-10 km only. Now one of my friend told me that less use of Diesel cars will affect engine life [roll] i am confused in this ... is really less use of diesel cars will affect engine life ?

my Ertiga again come in daily use only after 3-4 months. Please provide your experience with Diesel engines.
I guess that is a Fiat diesel engine, i had a Ford Figo used for 3 yrs and sold it at 35000 kms, I used to take it out two months once for a long trip, didn't faced Any problem
And now with my 2013 EcoSport diesel close to 15 or 20 days I don't even start the engine but will take it for a long drive spin 40 days once, again have not faced Any issues.

Current new gen diesels are as good as it's petrol siblings

May be your friend might have used a old gen diesel ambassador

Last edited:
Re: is less use of Diesel car can affect engine life ?

Now one of my friend told me that less use of Diesel cars will affect engine life [roll] i am confused in this ... is really less use of diesel cars will affect engine life ?
Present generation engines are made to survive even if you don't drive your car for some months. One of my friend went to US for 6 months and he did not face any issue when he came back. I don't feel that if you don't drive a diesel car for long time it will affect the engine life. Instead its the bad driving habit that damages the engine.

there isnt engine damage happening when it sits, however there might be tyre damages if its isnt jacked above the ground, there might be issues with the rust. damages to wires due to rodents, its always a good habit to disconnect the batteries when kept for such a long time.

If a vehicle parked for a short period, chances are more of attracting rats, and then snakes, and then other creatures. My friends used to carry rat repeller to drive away the rats. My wagon-R front side indicator was not working. Workshop guys spotted that the wire is cut by rat. If Rat come, then chances are more for snakes. I have spotted this issue at Kerala.

Diesel vehicles need a warm-up once over a period of time. Manufactures are advising to have at least one start and drive within a month. This is not documented, but service advisors are recommending.

Top Bottom