Guide: How To Drive and Maintain a Diesel Car?

does that mean to say that every time turbo spools, there is a drop in mileage if so why use turbo engine can use just the DI engines for better fuel economy( Considering only fuel economy not the pick up turbo brings)

does that mean to say that every time turbo spools, there is a drop in mileage if so why use turbo engine can use just the DI engines for better fuel economy( Considering only fuel economy not the pick up turbo brings)
That's actually a great piece of doubt sirji. [clap]

DI engines are definitely more efficient but they are bad performers. They are not very good at picking up higher loads and have a mediocre mid range, while the turbocharged engines have a ballastic mid range.

Why higher FE?
Simple, because turbocharged engines let you use higher gear ratios as compared to their N/A counterparts.

Example: N/A Indica hardly does 100-105 kph in 3rd gear with engine revving around 4k mark and it takes light years to reach there, while the Indica turbo used to do around 120 kph in third gear at same rpm.

So basically the efficiency of a turbocharged engine is still higher when you take fuel as input and work done as output.

Who is Mr. Turbo Lag then? Well, he is no one but the N/A zone of rev range where the turbocharged engines perform like they are N/A!

*N/A: Naturally Aspirated

Last edited:
cool Thanks for the explanation Vipulji. Point taken [:D]. I Have a Sierra non turbo i can relate to what you said. however that being said my mileage on it is excellent on highways around 15/kmpl which would put any new suv which is above 2000 cc to shame.

Last edited:
My polo 1.2 tdi lies idle for like 3-5 days mostly. I use it on weekends mostly. In these 3-5 days do i have to start the car and keep it on for sometime in neutral or is it ok for it to lie idle.

My polo 1.2 tdi lies idle for like 3-5 days mostly. I use it on weekends mostly. In these 3-5 days do i have to start the car and keep it on for sometime in neutral or is it ok for it to lie idle.
For 3-5 days, it is okay. For longer durations like 4-5 weeks, disconnect the battery.

3) A diesel engine is very very heavy. The starter motor has to work hard to crank your engine to life. Be considerate to the starter motor. Depress your clutch every time you crank. This disengages the gearbox from the engine, making it a little easier for the starter motor to crank your engine, thereby prolonging its life.
@ raj
Thanks for bringing up this beautiful thread. My practice of cranking engine is keep in neutral and start ignition on my swift (diesel). I recently bought New ford figo diesel and gone through manual where it says depress clutch to crank engine[roll]. So I have a concern in this method any inputs will be helpful..
1.) Do I need to depress clutch and wait till engage gear.(or)
2.) Depressed clutch can be released as soon as engine crank.

^^You can release the clutch once the engine is started. I don't remember when it was last time I started any vehicle be it a car, motorcycle, bus or tractor without depressing the clutch. I just depress the clutch (Brake is depressed in automatics), start the vehicle and release the clutch in 3-4 seconds, till date none of my vehicles have got a worn out clutch quickly. In fact my P220 has crossed 49k kms and still is on the stock clutch which is good to last at least more 25k kms. Why the example of P220? Well, because it is famous for eating up the clutch within 15-25k kms.

Last edited:
Time for battery replacement?

I've a 2012 Vista(quadratjet) and it's taking a second more to crank than usual diesels(usually 3 clicks but mine fires at4), the vehicle odo reads 31k odd kms, do I need to get the battery checked?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Time for battery replacement?

I've a 2012 Vista(quadratjet) and it's taking a second more to crank than usual diesels(usually 3 clicks but mine fires at4), the vehicle odo reads 31k odd kms, do I need to get the battery checked?
Hi Vishwas, usually 3 years is a good time for a battery to survive. My Honda City too went for a battery change after 3 years in October 2014. However, I also would suggest to check the level of water in battery with the dip-stick. It may be possible that a slightly low level of water in any of it's cells may lead to this minor delay in car's starting.

Regards

Akash

After driving a car (petrol/ diesel) continuosly for couple of hours at a good speed we are not supposed to switch it off abruptly once we reach our destination.
It is preferred to idle the vehicle for a couple minutes.

My question is , if someone abruptly switches off the car is it okay to again start the car and idle it for few minutes.

Top Bottom