Grooves For Engines

Thread Starter #181
No MPI kit is Multi point ignition. MPFI refers to multipoint/multiport fuel injection.

MPI is the multipoint ignition at the spark plugs for the fuel to burn more efficiently.

Its not related to fuel injection at all.

No MPI kit is Multi point ignition. MPFI refers to multipoint/multiport fuel injection.
Hi, Thanks for the clarification. But I am not able to find an exact explanation of how the system works. Could you please post the link for a specific product so that I can understand the system better. Sorry for deviating for the main topic.
-Ilango P

Thread Starter #183
It is in ignition coil.One coil for each cylinder fitted over each of the spark plugs.The existing cb points and the condenser that comes with the car are removed.The ignition module amplifies the signal to each coil.The kit comes with platinum plugs.It is only for carb cars.I have it fitted on my 800.

Hi, Thanks for the clarification. But I am not able to find an exact explanation of how the system works. Could you please post the link for a specific product so that I can understand the system better. Sorry for deviating for the main topic.
-Ilango P
Hi Ilangop, here you can find the thread for the MPI kit. If you want i will post a video of the working distributor.

Hi last week I tried the grooving in my car. Didn't change or modify anything other than putting the grooves in the head with new gasket. Just wanted to check how much difference the grooving will do. The acceleration became more responsive, also increased low end torque. Over all very good performance. Didn't check the mileage after that. Will do an exact mileage test and let you guys know.

singh-groove-01.jpg

singh-groove-02.jpg

singh-groove-03.jpg

singh-groove-04.jpg

singh-groove-05.jpg

singh-groove-06.jpg

singh-groove-13.jpg

singh-groove-14.jpg

singh-groove-15.jpg

singh-groove-17.jpg

singh-groove-16.jpg

singh-groove-18.jpg
Thanks to the Great Man!!

And thank you friends for your support!

Ha Ha, another grooved 800 nice to see that. BTW why dint you get the porting done when you had removed so much. How much did it cost.

What differences did you notice.

Update : Yesterday a quick long drive. Filled up 20 liters of petrol traveled 440kms still some petrol is left out.

So mileage is 22kmpl. I have almost done 12k + kms after grooves. So I guess another 2-3k kms I have to change the oil.

Nice to see a lot of things happening inside the heart of the engine ? Delicate stuff ~ You have to have a steady hand and know what you are attempting ! Any body tried this on 4 valve heads ? i know there is tons of info on the net and elsewhere !
Grooves are simple But you need to tear the head out ! And know how to put it back the right way [:)][:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #190
A good mechanic and a machine shop will be able to do the job.The trick is finding a reliable mechanic with passion for the work the do.That is a rarity.

The best place for grooving must be Mr. Singh's shop @ Mysore. You will be sure of what you get from the Master himself, provided he has the time ?[clap]

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a long time since I have updated the thread, totally I have driven around 14k kms. Oil seems to be fine. And the groove effect is still there !! I am happy.

I will not be able to comment on mileage because now a days the car has been running only in B2B traffic (not using the car much). Will be going for a long drive so that I can update the thread.

Hi Varun,

I recently got a 11 yr old 2003 800 from a friend, 96500 kms. I may need some help from you on completely restoring it (The brakes are a nightmare, need a booster). Sorry for bumping into an existing post. City mileage looks to be about 15-16 kmpl.

It does not go above 70kmph, and the gears are difficult to shift (I don't know if it is due to my Wagon r background or an issue with the clutch)

How are your grooves doing after the half engine build?

Regards,
Ankur

Nice to see grooves done on your m800. Its a good mod to do. More so on older 2 valve cyl heads with quench pads.

Its also interesting to see how a grooved engine performs with permutation combinations of leaner than stock AFRs/ higher C:R/ignition advance etc.

Remember seeing and going around in Sing annas grooved Indica petrol 4-5 yrs back. Wow ... some work he has done to it....

Top Bottom