Green Cotton or K&N

Thread Starter #1
Hello Team TAI, I am planning on installing a stock replacement air filter on my '07 Esteem, I need suggestions from all the expert petrol heads. Kindly throw some light.

I am not a fan of K&N cone filters for reasons I do not want to discuss being a professional in the field.

However, the filter medium they use is as good as the Green one. Both replacement filters will slightly improve performance.

I have personally not used these filters on my cars,but i have used friends cars with these filters,the green is quite silent and k&n even the replacement ones give u a slight wizz sound(Petrol cars,no idea abt diesels),u need to get a tune up done,cos air to fuel ratios change once u install these filters(air mass meters are sometimes contaminated),no matter what life is claimed,its better to get them cleaned every 8000 kms,still if you want a good sound its better to go for K&n.
I have driven swift 1.3 with green filter,quite silent under the hood, k&N have always been kinda vocal which gives you a thrill though.

End of the day these replacement filters dont really do much unless your engine is turbo'd or you have a high performance liter to power ratio machine like super bikes.

In regular Indian petrol cars cat con(Environmental) itself restricts the engine so much that these air filters look very pointless.

I have personally not used these filters on my cars,but i have used friends cars with these filters,the green is quite silent and k&n even the replacement ones give u a slight wizz sound(Petrol cars,no idea abt diesels),u need to get a tune up done,cos air to fuel ratios change once u install these filters(air mass meters are sometimes contaminated),no matter what life is claimed,its better to get them cleaned every 8000 kms,still if you want a good sound its better to go for K&n.
I have driven swift 1.3 with green filter,quite silent under the hood, k&N have always been kinda vocal which gives you a thrill though.

End of the day these replacement filters dont really do much unless your engine is turbo'd or you have a high performance liter to power ratio machine like super bikes.

In regular Indian petrol cars cat con(Environmental) itself restricts the engine so much that these air filters look very pointless.
The long term fuel trim is more than capable to adjust the AFR. There is no tune up needed.

The cats are much less of a restriction than most of the stock silencers.

A well designed air intake revision can increase performance considerably in normally aspirated engines. At least the ones I have designed have done so without changing the cat.

Thread Starter #5
Great Thanks drifter and Prads. Now do you guys happen to have the part numbers of Green Cotton Replacement filters for my esteem and a ford Ikon 1.3... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Again.

The long term fuel trim is more than capable to adjust the AFR. There is no tune up needed.

The cats are much less of a restriction than most of the stock silencers.

A well designed air intake revision can increase performance considerably in normally aspirated engines. At least the ones I have designed have done so without changing the cat.
I did not exactly mean a tune up,I was pointing out in Indian conditions air mass meters go for a toss & things have to be looked into.

As for the cat con they are very much restrictive as emissions become stricter,if i remember right during start up it delays your engine warm up as heat is first directed towards cat con

Yes good air intake can do wonders ,as i said but for a replacement filter on a stock airbox i do not think you will gain this kind of result as I have not noticed any difference on the 1.3 suzuki engines

But i do not consider it a waste of money or of no use etc on a na engine it only seems to do well when engine is over 1.6(regular petrol cars),benefit is you can re use these filters

Thread Starter #9
But i do not consider it a waste of money or of no use etc on a na engine it only seems to do well when engine is over 1.6(regular petrol cars),benefit is you can re use these filters

Wrong I do not accept this,. I have heard and experienced that cars with stock replacement filters does have an improved ride quality and also an increase in millage of 1 or 2 depending on the driving style.

Am also sure that atleast 40% of all cars in Bangalore or where ever run on these filters.

Hello Team TAI, I am planning on installing a stock replacement air filter on my '07 Esteem, I need suggestions from all the expert petrol heads. Kindly throw some light.

Hey lawrence, IMO you should go in for any of the two filters, but at the same time go in for a performance free flow as well. cause if u don't put in an exhaust, you would hardly notice any gains in pick up.[:)]

I am planning one for my i10 auto. Where in Pune can I get green cotton? I have decided to go for stock replacement one.

Where in Pune can I get green cotton?
Post inquiry here - I am not sure but
Bhoomi Motors
Contact Person: Mr Ajaz
Address:Dr Coyaji Road
Camp
PUNE 411001 PUNE (MAHARASHTRA) Mobile: + 91 9822976160
E-mail:ajaz.a.sayed@gmail.com

Top Bottom