Google Maps Voice Navigation Now Officially in India

Thread Starter #16
yes it drains battery, but you can save it in some manner.
like you can save map for offline view , and just start navigation with DATA ON mode.
after starting navigation , you can switch off your data connection. it will able to recalculate / navigate you on your destination offline.

its very useful to save battery as you are already draining it by continuous usage of GPS.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
yes it drains battery, but you can save it in some manner.
like you can save map for offline view , and just start navigation with DATA ON mode.
after starting navigation , you can switch off your data connection. it will able to recalculate / navigate you on your destination offline.

its very useful to save battery as you are already draining it by continuous usage of GPS.
i don't think we have a feature of offline maps and if i switch off the data connection it won't update.

sunday went to CP and i don't know much about roads there. navigation was a life saver [;)] i mean really without that we couldn't have reached the destination.

it also has update of a road block [thumbsup] it was a permanent road block for now.

Thread Starter #19
i don't think we have a feature of offline maps and if i switch off the data connection it won't update.

[/b]
update to latest google maps. all version after 6.9 has this feature.
you can download offline map at home before leaving for journey (if planned).
the maps will not be too big, i.e. mumbai map tolls only 7 to 8 MB.

so, you can download via GPRS also.[lol]

Thread Starter #21
in my Xperia U. its shows waiting for location for very long time. but in direction(maps) , im able to get the route. very strange[anger]

you can enable AGPS (assisted GPS) for faster GPS lock.

it must be in Google maps > settings > location settings

GPS can take some time ( about 1 to 2 min.) for locking and AGPS can lock in about 15 ~ 20 sec. in open sky.

I would say google maps are 90% give correct dorections. But the GPS occassionally looses its signal on highways as well as in city.

Yesterday went to Kas Pathar(Satara District) and this google GPS helped me a lot. At one point i took wrong turn in Satara city and GPS promtly voice guided me to an U turn. Amazing!

Thread Starter #25
saishibu38380 said:
i drove from coimbatore to my place (nagercoil) using navigation. perfect travel time and routes with toll booth and diversions.
Have you used it offline or online?
I had tried offline, but not much sure about offline roure recalculation

i used online. mobile connected to car charger in order to save GPS+ 3G battery usage.
tamilnadu maps 27 MB for offline

you can enable AGPS (assisted GPS) for faster GPS lock.

it must be in Google maps > settings > location settings

GPS can take some time ( about 1 to 2 min.) for locking and AGPS can lock in about 15 ~ 20 sec. in open sky.
there is no AGPS in my xperia U, screen shot here
screenshot_2012-09-27_1049.png

OFF topic
i will get you a pic of my mobile charger arrangement in my tata nano CX

Guys - Need your help with Google Maps Voice Navigation. I have been searching on the internet but just could not find what I want.

I am using an andriod phone (2.3 Gingerbread). The google maps i have has voice navigation, however the 'robotic' voice that gives instructions to take turns etc is very annoying.

I often use the voice navigation, when travelling to places I have not been to. I have planned a 500 kms two - way trip this weekend, and the place I am going is an unknown territory for me.

Couple of months back, I used the navigation in my phone and the voice commands were NOT robotic, infact it was an Indian voice. However, I somehow wiped the Google maps updates to default settings, not sure what happened but I am now getting the same robotic voice.

I tried updating it from play store, yet the voice commands are still the same 'Robotic'

Can you guys tell me from how or where can I get a humanly voice, preferably Indian whose commands we can understand.

Note: I have installed SVOX from play store, but that too has US and UK accent English, which I can understand, however while driving, I love to concentrate on driving rather than trying to understand the voice commands of a foreigner.

Sorry if I have dragged the question so much, but thought I will explain the whole situation.

Thanks in advance!!!

This is now available on iPhone too !! These google maps are just awesome and have good detail in India maps too. Also the lady guides me through my TJet's speakers when connected via Blue&Me.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ silverlxnano - well it has always been a lady voice which is pretty much clear. there was this thing something related to this voice only , i know this didn't help you but still i wanted to say it's a women voice. i just can't remember what was that thing.

Top Bottom